Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fr. Hightower

I wear a helmet while internetting.

Default We will pray for you Molly

I was surprised to find this connection to the Zags.

Molly was from Port Orchard.

Here is the article currently in our local paper website:

Hightower's sister, Jordan, wrote of the death of Molly this morning on her Twitter account.

"We love you Molly more then you will ever know or understand. We know you are watching us and smiling your brilliant smile," she wrote shortly after reporting that her family learned Molly's body had been found.

Her alma mater, Belarmine Prepatory School in Tacoma, is honoring her this morning with an hour-and-a-half long memorial service that began at 9:30 a.m., according to a school staffer.

Read more: http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2010/j...#ixzz0ck35GzL9

Wow, so sad. Many blessings and prayers to Fr Hightower and family in this difficult time.

Reading her blog brought me nearly to tears. What a special woman.
    Training Grounds: Rambling Thoughts of a Surgical Resident
    You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions. -Siddhartha Gautama

Default RE : The Blog......

When people pass away, their greatness becomes exaggerated, and it's like they never did a bad thing or had a bad thought in their life..........
    ..............but that blog reads like documentation of an angel who lived on Earth for a short time.

I'm just having trouble with her work stopping so abruptly, like it was for nothing.

But it can't be for nothing.

If you believe in anything, you have to believe that work for handicapped children in poor countries is the highest pursuit possible.
    Molly's success in Haiti can't be measured by "525,600 minutes."
    Just each day with the children.
    I guess that's all any of us have, whatever we do.

The current outpouring of support will inspire other Molly Hightowers, throughout the world.

Today, we also celebrate the "Miracle on the Hudson," from last year.
    Let's hope there are some miracles in Haiti in the next few days as well.

It might sound cliche to say Molly is in a better place now, but I truly believe she is. May God provide comfort to her family and friends for their loss. And yes, may there be many miracles in Haiti in the coming days and weeks.

From the News Tribune, Saturday, Jan 16
    http://www.thenewstribune.com/merrym...y/1030744.html

Hightower family courtesy photo
    Molly Hightower wanted to work in international adoptions, to help connect families with kids, just like the ones she cared for at Pediatrique Saint Damien in Haiti. Her body was found in the rubble of the building after Tuesday’s quake. Hightower family courtesy photo.

Hope lost, but not faith
    KATHLEEN MERRYMAN; THE NEWS TRIBUNE
    Published: 01/16/10 12:05 am | Updated: 01/16/10 1:51 am
    Molly Hightower backed her faith with her work.
    As Haiti crumbled Tuesday, that work cost the 22-year-old her life.
    Her father, Mike Hightower, sent an e-mail message early Friday to friends who had been hoping against time and physics for Molly’s survival in a collapsed building.
    “We received the call we did not want,” Mike Hightower wrote from the family’s home in Port Orchard. “Molly’s body has been recovered. Thank you for the prayers you all offered and the respect you have shown my family.”
    The family learned Thursday that a search-and-rescue team from Fairfax, Va., had arrived at the building where Molly lived in Petionville, a hilly, affluent suburb of Port-au-Prince. They hoped to bring news of Molly’s rescue to a Friday morning mass for her at Tacoma’s Bellarmine Preparatory School, from which she graduated in 2005.
    Instead, Molly’s family and the Bellarmine community prayed for Molly’s soul.
    Her body had been found in the rubble of the Friends of the Orphans building where she worked and lived. The seven-story building pancaked in the quake.
    On Thursday, while the Fairfax crew searched for Molly, Bellarmine teachers and two of Molly’s uncles met with media at the school. Defying the odds, they spoke of Molly in the present tense.
    “Molly does physical therapy with the kids,” said her uncle, the Rev. Craig Hightower, a Jesuit priest at Gonzaga Univeristy. “Some of them are abandoned because of their handicaps. Some are dying. She holds some as they get better, and some as they die.”
    Molly graduated from the University of Portland last spring, and headed for Haiti to work a year before attending graduate school.
    She kept a blog in which she wrote of attending too many children’s funerals. The nearby pediatric hospital, she told friends, loses two to three children a day.
    She did not understand how a mother could abandon a 7-year old with a cleft palate.
    She loved a quirky girl with Down syndrome who demanded to borrow Molly’s sunglasses.
    Molly’s plan was to work in international adoptions, finding families for kids.
    “She wanted to make it her life’s work,” the Rev. Hightower said.
    Molly had come home for eight days before Christmas, taken her graduate record exams, attended a friend’s wedding and started two shoe drives. One was in Port Orchard and one in Naselle, where her aunt and uncle Christina and Mark Zimmerman live.
    “They collected 422 pairs,” Mark Zimmerman said Thursday at Bellarmine. “That’s how dedicated she is to the orphans.”
    On her blog, Molly wrote about her break back in Washington, and about enjoying the comfort foods of home.
    “I ate at 10 different fast-food places and drank copious amounts of grande peppermint mocha frappachinos. For Christmas, I then received a frappachino maker which I sadly had to pack away.”
    It was hard for Molly to return to Haiti before Christmas, and be away from her family for the first time for the holiday. Still, she managed to keep one tradition: On the evening of Dec. 24, she watched “Christmas Eve on Sesame Street” on television.
    After the holiday, she went back to her routine of physical therapy in the pool and on horseback, working with autistic children, translating documents from French to English, teaching moms to do embroidery.
    “She is patient, kind and strong, all the Jesuit principles,” said Shannon Casey, who teaches English at Bellarmine and coached Molly in cross country. “She is exactly the kind of student we try to produce at Bellarmine.”
    Molly earned places in honors and Advance Placement classes.
    “She seeks challenges, and enjoys challenges,” Casey said.
    One of those was playing catcher on the Bellarmine fast-pitch team, said her coach, Craig Coovert.
    Her tall, lanky body didn’t naturally fit the position, and standard catcher’s equipment didn’t fit her, but she was determined to play it and played it well.
    “She’s one of those infectious personalities,” Coovert said. “She brightens up a room.”
    Until Friday morning, extended family at the Hightower home in Port Orchard held firm to the hope that Molly would be found alive.
    “Keep on praying everyone! Keep on praying!! We know good things are on the way!” Jordan Hightower, Molly’s 24-year-old sister, wrote to hundreds of Facebook friends Thursday evening. “HOPE AND FAITH ARE THE WORDS. Miracles happen and Molly Mackenzie Hightower is a miracle waiting to be found!!!”
    Now, instead of a miracle, Molly’s family is seeking comfort in their faith.
    “This morning we received word that they have recovered Molly’s body,” her big sister wrote. “She is now with our Lord and we take peace in this. We love and miss her with all of our hearts.”
    Kathleen Merryman: 253-597-8677
    "thnk god for few" jazzdelmar(12/12/11 12:50pm)
    "When most of us couldn't buy a basket. Where do we get off anyway?!" siliconzag (11/17/06 5:45:41 pm)
    I am monitoring the price of a donut

Default Molly Hightower Remembrance

Father Hightower and all of your family - I heard your eloquent words at Bellarmine yesterday, and all of our thoughts and prayers are with you. We thank Molly and yourself for your devotion and spirit that makes us all humble and thankful. Those of us who have benefited from the Jesuit tradition are particularly appreciative of all that you have sacrificed for and provided to our community.
    We will continue to pray for your family and for the victems of the tragedy in Haiti.

Quote Originally Posted by MedZag View Post
    Reading her blog brought me nearly to tears.
    Wait till you get older, MedZag. Wait till you get older.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

If you are considering making a donation, they've set up a page in Molly's honor at www.friendsoftheorphans.com/molly.

BTW, not only was Molly the niece of Fr Hightower, she was also the niece and goddaughter of Therese Hightower, part of the Gonzaga family, class of '89 (my class).

So sad. That whole situation is sad. I don't question my faith but I question the ways of the world often.

The ONLY thing that comes from these situations is a coming together by the world's people, tribes and countries.

Before I get all teary-eyed from seeing reports of the massive outpouring to this devastated area I pause for a second and think that people like Molly were there all along - helping long before most of us bothered to care.

Godspeed, Molly.

Such a sad story. Our prayers for Molly, family, the Reverend and all the people of Haiti.
    Pray for all that are aiding the rescue and a speedy recovery to normalcy for this entire country.

Default Obit in News Tribune

ref: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/tri...&pid=138696377

MOLLY HIGHTOWER

Molly Mackenzie Hightower March 29, 1987 - January 12, 2010 Our darling Molly was tragically taken from us by the Haitian earthquake doing the thing she loved the most - helping and caring for disabled children. Molly was born in 1987 and lived in Pacific until 1994, when the family moved to Port Orchard. She graduated from Bellarmine Prep, where she participated in cross-country and fastpitch softball, playing catcher. She was a talented flautist. Molly attended the University of Portland, studying abroad in Paris one summer. She graduated in May 2009 with a triple major, French, Sociology and Psychology. In her 22 years on this earth, Molly accomplished more than most people do in a lifetime. She loved traveling and visited Las Vegas, Disneyland, New York, Paris, Rome, and London. Yet, most of all, Molly wanted to make a difference in children's lives. She made the decision to volunteer in Haiti, working with abandoned and disabled children. This was her passion. Molly will forever remain in the hearts of her family and those who were touched by her friendship and compassion. She is survived by her parents Mike and Mary of Port Orchard, her beautiful siblings, sister Jordan and brothers Zach and Sean, who she loved with all of her heart, grandparents John and Annette Hightower of Renton, and Barney Barkshire of Gig Harbor, aunts and uncles Paul and Margot Hightower of Federal Way, Therese Hightower of San Francisco, Christina and Mark Zimmerman of Rosburg, Craig Hightower S.J. of Spokane, Jeff and Kiko Hightower of Chinook, Jerry Barkshire of Olalla, Pam and Mick Deines of Gig Harbor, great aunts and uncles Earl Zuelke of Helena, Rev. Lee Hightower of Lakewood, Marshall Lewis of Seattle, Art and Mary Fran Barkshire of Seattle, and Marie O'Neill of Tri-Cities, cousins Matt, Meg, Katie, Dominique, Meghan, Travis, Ali, Brady, Nicholas, Olivia, Isabel, Broghan, Hailey, Mick and Jake. Molly will forever remain in the hearts of her family, friends and those who were touched by her compassion and dedication for children. May her life be an inspiration to volunteer and make a difference in our World. Funeral Mass will be celebrated Wednesday, January 20, 2010 at 11:00am at St. John Bosco Catholic Church in Lakewood. Memorial donations can be made to Molly's Passion, the children. www.friendsoftheorphans.org/molly. Please leave online condolences at www.GaffneyCares.com. Arrangements by Gaffney Funeral Home, 253-572-6003.

Published in News Tribune (Tacoma) on January 19, 2010
    "thnk god for few" jazzdelmar(12/12/11 12:50pm)
    "When most of us couldn't buy a basket. Where do we get off anyway?!" siliconzag (11/17/06 5:45:41 pm)
    I am monitoring the price of a donut