Thread: Fr. Hightower

Hybrid View

Default Fr. Hightower

I'm a first time poster, but read frequently. I love hearing all the opinions and links y'all post. On a non-basketball related note, please pray for Fr. Craig Hightower, who sits at the end of the bench for every game. His niece, Molly, works in an orphanage in Haiti. She has not yet been accounted for. Please keep Fr. and his family in your prayers.

Yes, God's blessings and miracles for that whole situation. May God be with the rescuers, those trapped in rubble, the seriously injured, those displaced from their homes.

:]

I pray that the Lord shows himself strong and merciful in this ugly situation. I pray that they turn to his care and trust in Him. And that he strenthens those who have suffered lose or those awaiting news. Amen

Molly Hightower is a recent graduate of the University of Portland. The campus has been holding prayer vigils all day, and, according to local news there is still no word on her whereabouts.

Prayers and best wishes for her and her family and friends.

For 12 years from 1992 to 2004, my work required me to spend over 25% of my time in the Caribbean and Central America on trips ranging from 2 to 4 weeks each. (Not in resorts, but with the blue collar workers.) In that time I have found that underneath the burden of poverty and the publicity of crime and violence, there is a substantial base of wonderful, faithfilled, beautiful people. As such, I have been praying for them since I first heard of the earthquake.

And now we find out that this disaster has hit closer to home than geography would first lead us to believe.

My prayers will continue.

Thoughts and prayers continue for Molly, and everyone else touched by this tragedy.

Here is the related thread/information on PilotNation: http://pilotfans.users-board.net/gen...aiti-t2929.htm

Here is a picture of Molly from the Oregonian:

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index...1/post_85.html
    Go Pilots!

Default +1

Quote Originally Posted by Zagineer View Post
    For 12 years from 1992 to 2004, my work required me to spend over 25% of my time in the Caribbean and Central America on trips ranging from 2 to 4 weeks each. (Not in resorts, but with the blue collar workers.) In that time I have found that underneath the burden of poverty and the publicity of crime and violence, there is a substantial base of wonderful, faithfilled, beautiful people. As such, I have been praying for them since I first heard of the earthquake.

And now we find out that this disaster has hit closer to home than geography would first lead us to believe. My prayers will continue.
    there but for the grace of god . . .

From the News Tribune, Saturday, Jan 16
    http://www.thenewstribune.com/merrym...y/1030744.html

Hightower family courtesy photo
    Molly Hightower wanted to work in international adoptions, to help connect families with kids, just like the ones she cared for at Pediatrique Saint Damien in Haiti. Her body was found in the rubble of the building after Tuesday’s quake. Hightower family courtesy photo.

Hope lost, but not faith
    KATHLEEN MERRYMAN; THE NEWS TRIBUNE
    Published: 01/16/10 12:05 am | Updated: 01/16/10 1:51 am
    Molly Hightower backed her faith with her work.
    As Haiti crumbled Tuesday, that work cost the 22-year-old her life.
    Her father, Mike Hightower, sent an e-mail message early Friday to friends who had been hoping against time and physics for Molly’s survival in a collapsed building.
    “We received the call we did not want,” Mike Hightower wrote from the family’s home in Port Orchard. “Molly’s body has been recovered. Thank you for the prayers you all offered and the respect you have shown my family.”
    The family learned Thursday that a search-and-rescue team from Fairfax, Va., had arrived at the building where Molly lived in Petionville, a hilly, affluent suburb of Port-au-Prince. They hoped to bring news of Molly’s rescue to a Friday morning mass for her at Tacoma’s Bellarmine Preparatory School, from which she graduated in 2005.
    Instead, Molly’s family and the Bellarmine community prayed for Molly’s soul.
    Her body had been found in the rubble of the Friends of the Orphans building where she worked and lived. The seven-story building pancaked in the quake.
    On Thursday, while the Fairfax crew searched for Molly, Bellarmine teachers and two of Molly’s uncles met with media at the school. Defying the odds, they spoke of Molly in the present tense.
    “Molly does physical therapy with the kids,” said her uncle, the Rev. Craig Hightower, a Jesuit priest at Gonzaga Univeristy. “Some of them are abandoned because of their handicaps. Some are dying. She holds some as they get better, and some as they die.”
    Molly graduated from the University of Portland last spring, and headed for Haiti to work a year before attending graduate school.
    She kept a blog in which she wrote of attending too many children’s funerals. The nearby pediatric hospital, she told friends, loses two to three children a day.
    She did not understand how a mother could abandon a 7-year old with a cleft palate.
    She loved a quirky girl with Down syndrome who demanded to borrow Molly’s sunglasses.
    Molly’s plan was to work in international adoptions, finding families for kids.
    “She wanted to make it her life’s work,” the Rev. Hightower said.
    Molly had come home for eight days before Christmas, taken her graduate record exams, attended a friend’s wedding and started two shoe drives. One was in Port Orchard and one in Naselle, where her aunt and uncle Christina and Mark Zimmerman live.
    “They collected 422 pairs,” Mark Zimmerman said Thursday at Bellarmine. “That’s how dedicated she is to the orphans.”
    On her blog, Molly wrote about her break back in Washington, and about enjoying the comfort foods of home.
    “I ate at 10 different fast-food places and drank copious amounts of grande peppermint mocha frappachinos. For Christmas, I then received a frappachino maker which I sadly had to pack away.”
    It was hard for Molly to return to Haiti before Christmas, and be away from her family for the first time for the holiday. Still, she managed to keep one tradition: On the evening of Dec. 24, she watched “Christmas Eve on Sesame Street” on television.
    After the holiday, she went back to her routine of physical therapy in the pool and on horseback, working with autistic children, translating documents from French to English, teaching moms to do embroidery.
    “She is patient, kind and strong, all the Jesuit principles,” said Shannon Casey, who teaches English at Bellarmine and coached Molly in cross country. “She is exactly the kind of student we try to produce at Bellarmine.”
    Molly earned places in honors and Advance Placement classes.
    “She seeks challenges, and enjoys challenges,” Casey said.
    One of those was playing catcher on the Bellarmine fast-pitch team, said her coach, Craig Coovert.
    Her tall, lanky body didn’t naturally fit the position, and standard catcher’s equipment didn’t fit her, but she was determined to play it and played it well.
    “She’s one of those infectious personalities,” Coovert said. “She brightens up a room.”
    Until Friday morning, extended family at the Hightower home in Port Orchard held firm to the hope that Molly would be found alive.
    “Keep on praying everyone! Keep on praying!! We know good things are on the way!” Jordan Hightower, Molly’s 24-year-old sister, wrote to hundreds of Facebook friends Thursday evening. “HOPE AND FAITH ARE THE WORDS. Miracles happen and Molly Mackenzie Hightower is a miracle waiting to be found!!!”
    Now, instead of a miracle, Molly’s family is seeking comfort in their faith.
    “This morning we received word that they have recovered Molly’s body,” her big sister wrote. “She is now with our Lord and we take peace in this. We love and miss her with all of our hearts.”
    Kathleen Merryman: 253-597-8677
    "thnk god for few" jazzdelmar(12/12/11 12:50pm)
    "When most of us couldn't buy a basket. Where do we get off anyway?!" siliconzag (11/17/06 5:45:41 pm)
    I am monitoring the price of a donut

Default Molly Hightower Remembrance

Father Hightower and all of your family - I heard your eloquent words at Bellarmine yesterday, and all of our thoughts and prayers are with you. We thank Molly and yourself for your devotion and spirit that makes us all humble and thankful. Those of us who have benefited from the Jesuit tradition are particularly appreciative of all that you have sacrificed for and provided to our community.
    We will continue to pray for your family and for the victems of the tragedy in Haiti.