Thread: OT The Cougs got screwed!

Default OT The Cougs got screwed!

The Cougs score with 0.3 seconds left in OT to go up by 2 and the refs call a bench technical because the players jumped up celebrating and were slightly on the court. Oregon hits both FTs to send it to double OT and win.

I've never seen anything like that.

Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post

I've never seen anything like that.
    What ! Officials deciding the outcome of a game !?!

I'll bet Dave Libbey has never seen anything like that either.

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Yah, Cougs got screwed but as bad a Oregon is, it should not have even come down to a 2 point game at the end

Yes... a serious screwin. I wonder how the refs feel when that happens. Literally stealing a victory from the Cougs. "No harm no foul"....a phrase to be remembered.

Nah, Refs actually got it right. This isn't something you see too Often. WSU's bench was celebrating with the players on the floor While there was still time on the clock, when Oregon was trying to inbound. You can't do that.

Usually you'll see the scoreboard operator run the clock down to 0.0, so the players celebrate, and then later they put more time on the clock, and they finish out the game. This time, there was time on the clock, there was no timeout, and Oregon could have imbounded immediately. WSU's bench is to blame. The refs got it right.

Now at the end of the 2nd overtime, there was a foul called, AND a foul out, which is an automatic Timeout, so there was a stoppage of play. Oregon's bench can go where ever they please after that..

I'd be pissed off too if this was my team, BUT the refs got it right and I'm tired of people acting like this is the worst call ever.. It was the right call. It's a delay of game. WSU's bench needs to be smarter...

Quote Originally Posted by DickausBuzzerBeaters View Post
    Nah, Refs actually got it right. This isn't something you see too Often. WSU's bench was celebrating with the players on the floor While there was still time on the clock, when Oregon was trying to inbound. You can't do that.

Usually you'll see the scoreboard operator run the clock down to 0.0, so the players celebrate, and then later they put more time on the clock, and they finish out the game. This time, there was time on the clock, there was no timeout, and Oregon could have imbounded immediately. WSU's bench is to blame. The refs got it right.

Now at the end of the 2nd overtime, there was a foul called, AND a foul out, which is an automatic Timeout, so there was a stoppage of play. Oregon's bench can go where ever they please after that..

I'd be pissed off too if this was my team, BUT the refs got it right and I'm tired of people acting like this is the worst call ever.. It was the right call. It's a delay of game. WSU's bench needs to be smarter...
    Well said!

The refs could have handled this much better. Stopping play themselves under the rubric of checking the home clock would have been appropriate. There have been several games this year just like this where fans rushed the court because people thought the game was over. To determine this like Barney Fife under these particular circumstances shows poor understanding of how the game should be determined.

When subpar crews (Littlewood, Hicks, etc.) step on the floor, you can expect less than scintillating results.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianZagFan View Post
    Well said!
    VERY well said.

Quote Originally Posted by seasontixholder View Post
    The refs could have handled this much better. Stopping play themselves under the rubric of checking the home clock would have been appropriate. There have been several games this year just like this where fans rushed the court because people thought the game was over. To determine this like Barney Fife under these particular circumstances shows poor understanding of how the game should be determined.

When subpar crews (Littlewood, Hicks, etc.) step on the floor, you can expect less than scintillating results.
    I'm with you. This is a case where I'd rather they followed the spirit of the law instead of the letter of it. Call an official timeout to check the clock, then give UO the chance to inbound it and make the play.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

this is all over the internet as a "bogus" call... not sure I have seen anyone else comment but there was actually a FAN on the court with the players! If that is not T worthy not sure what is.

Quote Originally Posted by seasontixholder View Post

Hey, If I was a Cougar fan, I would PROBABLY feel the same way.. But I'm not so I watch without bias.. Most of the time that happens, the clock is at 0.0, and they go back and change it later. This time, there was time on the clock, and no stoppage of play. The right call. tic tac? I dunno, maybe.. but it's hard to complain about the right call. very very rarely do you see this happen with time on the clock, which is why you never hear about a T call like this one.

Every Barney Fife needs a Gomer.