Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Big Will coming along

Default Big Will coming along

Will Foster is up to 270 lbs now and is slowly developing into a center who may be able earn some minutes next season. His shot is more refined than ever and he contnues to work hard on skills. Even at 270, he still looks thin. Hopfully he'll be 285 lbs by October and 300 lbs for '08-'09. By his junior year, we could be watching a high 1st-round draft pick.

Theo Davis has offensive moves that surprised me. I assumed he was more raw than he is. He will be a nice surprise on both ends of the court. He blocked Foster once, and a few others. But one long spin move covering about ten feet from the wing caught me by surprise. An easy layup. I predict this kid will be more than we expected.

Micah is a special player, as is Pargo and Josh. Bouldin is visibly more buff than before. Our two guards--Pargo and Bouldin--look like they could play linebacker and fullback. They will abuse many a guard next seson. Micah, Josh and Pargo were particularly impressive this day. Josh is bulking up nicely, must be nearing 250 lbs.

Everyone was there, except Pendo (out for 6 weeks w/surgery) and Kuso (not sure why).

Chemistry looked great. Pargo is the leader. They were all having fun. There was a boat load of talent out there, and it'll dang near double come July 1st when the newcomers arrive, and everyone is healthy again, and certain guys make big strides in offseason improvement.

Next season is gonna be goooood.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

WOW -Thanks Bob! I was dying for some info! You lucky Dog - getting to go watch.... I'm jealous....

Will, in his limited minutes (and viewed over the tube) struck me as a big guy who could move well - while I think he would have been better served by redshirting - and I'm glad we are getting to watch his development.

I am tremendously excited to see this coming team on the floor. Heck, right now I'm tremendously excited to hear reports of how the new players look scrimmaging with the other guys in a couple of months...

Thank you for the update Bob!

You're right about Will. I saw him walking out of McCarthey today and still looks incredibly skinny.

Great news about Will's progress... I like rooting for this kid. Sounds like he is working hard to make the necessary improvements. At 7'4" I thought he was able to move very well for a kid his size. With bulk and experience he could become a very special player.

Sounds like the kid from White River is doing well. I'm really rooting for him to do well in the coming years and with our coaches track record of developing bigs and his apparent dedication he could be something special. At 7'4" I ought to be able to see him from my house when he visits home.

RebornZag Guest

Default Big Will Foster

Thanks for the update BZ. I know Will was a fan favorite whenever he'd get into a game. I remember him real well against Baylor because he got to play about 5 minutes. He was extrememly difficult to score on. And then we saw it again in one of the WCC games, and it was a big game, I believe one of those two last road games that we had to win. Again, he was just real tough on defense. AND DEFENSE IS WHAT WE NEED.

I was hoping Josh was bulking up. Nice to hear he's up to 250 from 235. 15 pounds is great when it's all muscle. One question Bob. How's Larry G looking? I really liked him his Freshman year.

I too was a big fan of Wills last season and wished that he had received more pt. Bob, does this mean that Sacre may redshirt because he is still very raw offensively? Froncourt is two deep, C: Josh, Will PF: Kuso, Theo. Size and athleticism!

Wow, up to 270?? Must have been eating alot of those Dlish burgers... I have been cutting back myself.

Josh is a PF not a C. Kuso a C not a PF. So we have: C(5) Will, Sacre, Kuso, and Theo and PF(4) Josh, Pendo, possibly Theo, possibly Daye. Pretty scary good!

Thanks BZ, I hope Will keeps improving cause what he has already is 7 ft 4in in heighth and thats something that you can't teach. If he works hard he could help chew up minutes in the post next year if any of our bigs get into foul trouble. Thats something we lacked a bit with last year. In my opinion we shoulda thrown burgess in there a bit more, but this not being an option anymore i wish the best to him and everything he does.
    Clearly with the bigs we got comin in and with the addition of Theo, Foster may experience some prolonged bench time again this season. But hope he keeps workin hard because it should pay off. Not to mention a crowd favorite and a nice guy so will never be a problem with chemistry.

Don't care if he looks skinny, 270 pounds is still a lot of weight to push around in the paint. Sounds like he's coming along. My only concern is whether all this new weight will take away from his game. After all, in the limited time I saw him play, he did look incredibly agile for a man his size.

RebornZag Guest

Really glad to hear your report on Davis, Bob. Theo is the one Zag that I know so little about. I did see that he was a #36 (or somewhere in the vacinity...this is not necessarily accurate) best player on either Scout or Rivals. That impressed me!! I have been hoping that he has some offense to go with what I've heard about his defense. I remember last year when we learned that he was coming to Gonzaga everyone was SO excited. I mean really excited. And then he got hurt in his first practice. Hopefully he'll stay healthy this year.

That is great news about Will. If will gets up to 300 lbs and continues to improve like he has over the past year, he's going to be a huge, huge push for this team to reach the final four. GU has relied on the big bodies in the middle, but in my memory, I don't think we've ever had one that has the possibility to be so dominate as a guy with so much height and opportunity. The sky is the limit for Will and it's up to him to continue getting better and accepting his coaching. I think we've got a very bright future with Will on the team. I can't help but look at the future and (optimistically) imagine Will and Josh starting at the same time. Not sure if that would be reasonable, but how could anyone defend it?

My question about Foster is that most GU players see a big jump in development from their freshmen to sophmore seasons. Will there be this jump in Foster even though he lacked playing time or will this more likely happen from sophmore to junior year?

Thumbs up

Is foster the Next Mark Eaton? Or maybe the next Sean Bradely? I would take either one in college any day at center. I hope he puts on 50 more lbs in the next two years and just becomes a beast down low... THe last time i saw him play he still looked like a kid that wasn't quite done growing yet and so he didnt quite have all his coordination or explosiveness that comes when you stop growing tall and begin to fill out. Hopefully this year or the next he will be on his way to 300 - 320 lbs. That would be an awsome weight for a guy that is 7'4, he would be tall and a beast at that size.

Some one should donate a years supply of whatever Barry Bonds trainer was giving him to Will and see what happens...

What would be an ideal weight for a guy his height? What do you guys think is realistic as far as how his weight gain might progress?

Quote Originally Posted by D Hark 2003 View Post
    Is foster the Next Mark Eaton? Or maybe the next Sean Bradely?
    There's an interesting article in the current Sports Illustrated about Yao Ming that references some of the issues that the super-tall guys have to face just physically.

Will didn't look slower or limited by his weight. One sequence, he grabbed the rebound, dribbled it the length of the court and flushed it. Everybody cheered. Being a lefty, all his shots were right-handed, it was good to see him working on polishing his right. All good questions. There's a definite jump from frosh to soph, and we'll see that, but I believe his junior and senior years will most likely be his coming out party.

Was very pleased with Theo. Probably the #1 thing that surprised me most.

Another thing I noticed... While plenty of treys were jacked up, there was a whole lotta driving/slashing to the basket going on. Matt, Pargo, Downs, Josh, Theo, LG... It was good to see.

I could see another Paul Davis (MSU) or Andrew Bogut (Utah) out of Will when the next two years are all said and done...The guy has the potential to be a true beast in the middle...

Default Any problems with chemistry?

Bob, did you happen to notice any fallout from Josh back with the team? Any chemistry problems or problems just working together?

Thanks for sharing this with us BZ. What a great thread to start as we settle in for 6 months of hibernation! If you could do a once a month ubdate it would be fantastic - it keeps that spark of excitement renewed and going for what appears to be fantastic next couple of years. As many others have said, I can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaduce View Post
    Wow, up to 270?? Must have been eating alot of those Dlish burgers... I have been cutting back myself.
    You eat at Tomato Street, you sly dog you.