Thread: Cincy vs. Xavier

Default Cincy vs. Xavier

This might be the wrong forum, but since it's about one of our opponents, I thought it might be ok here. I guess the mods can move it if it's not.

I know that Xavier was probably every bit as much at fault for the melee last night with Cincinnati, but it kinda reminds me of the one kid in the family who's involved in every fight. Sure maybe the other kids are blameworthy too, but you gotta wonder what it is about that one kid that puts him at the center of every brawl.

Every time I see highlights of another Cincinnati game, the prouder I am of our Zags for showing their toughness.

Default Two things from last night's broadcast

1. The Cincy coach is STILL whining about the end of the Gonzaga game -- he brought up the no-call to the ESPN announcers prior to the game -- said they should have been undefeated and beaten Gonzaga.

When Stephenson saw the slight opening, he lofted a beautiful pass to the rim as Gates went airborne. Sacre recovered to make a clean block at the buzzer and send the game to overtime.
    http://www.mauinews.com/page/content...id/526206.html

2. They listed the great local Out of Conference rivalries -- XU/ Cincy; Louisville v Kentucky and on the list was Gonzaga/Washington State. That was pretty cool.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

NCAA TOURNAMENT wins since 2015
    Gonzaga 20, Nova 17, UNC 16, Duke 15, Kentucky 13, Michigan 13, Virginia 11, Baylor 9
    -----
    FINAL FOUR wins since 2017
    UNC 2, Nova 2, Virginia 2, Baylor 2, Gonzaga 2, Michigan 1, TexasTech 1, Kentucky 0, Duke 0, Kansas 0

we were watching that game as well, it was pretty brutal. at the end of the 1st overtime, one of the Xavier players was just leveled underneath the basket going for the rebound. it was much more of a foul than what Sacre did in our game. not that the Cincy coach will ever give it up. to follow up with 007's comment, it is like the kid at school who is always involved in the altercations but mom and dad have an excuse why it wasn't his fault every time. at some point you just have to take some responsibility.

Uber wasn't surprised.
    If you can't handle the confusion, stay out of the Foo!

Uber on GuBoards: "Pathetic. We've got posters just sleepwalking through threads."

No Foo for You!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/column...pat&id=4740338

Funny thing: Cincy has bigger muscles, a Big East physical pedigree, a tradition of meanness and the tough-guy black jerseys. But from the first flare-up until halftime, Xavier outscored the Bearcats 19-7.

"They tried to come here and be the bullies," [Xavier's]Crawford said. "We wanted to be the bullies, too. We're not going to back down from anybody. That put them on their heels a little bit."
    Sounds familiar !

Default Nothing like the crosstown shootout

If you have ever seen the crosstown shootout game, well, technical fouls, flagrant fouls and ejections are the norm. What you saw last night was some of the best behavior you will ever see in a crosstown shootout game. I'm serious. I think some of Cincy's behavior last night was in response to what Xavier did to them last year. In last year's game there were 6 technical fouls and XU's Derrick Brown got thrown out of the game. Throughout the history of this rivalry, XU cannot claim to be saints either.

Duke/UNC is the best and purest college basketball rivalry, but it can't come close to the violent intensity of the crosstown shootout. I'm sorry - the UNC/Duke guys are buddies and very often hang out with each other during the summer. The Cincinnati and Xavier players absolutely HATE one another.

Default Gates: 58.5% from foul line

The Cincy coach is STILL whining about the end of the Gonzaga game -- he brought up the no-call to the ESPN announcers prior to the game -- said they should have been undefeated and beaten Gonzaga.
    Yancy Gates is shooting 58.5% from the foul line this season, and his terrible free throw shooting last night (2/6) hurt the Bearcats in defeat just as much as it did against Gonzaga.

Even if Sacre committed a foul, how can Cronin just assume that Gates would've made the free throws? Gates couldn't hit a pea in the ocean in that game.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Yancy Gates is shooting 58.5% from the foul line this season, and his terrible free throw shooting last night (2/6) hurt the Bearcats in defeat just as much as it did against Gonzaga.

Even if Sacre committed a foul, how can Cronin just assume that Gates would've made the free throws? Gates couldn't hit a pea in the ocean in that game.
    The only 2 he hit were the clutch FTs last night, though. Still, he is horrendous. Reminds me a bit of some of the UW players last year - just couldn't quite get the FT shooting down.

If I were Cronin FT shooting would become a HUGE focus. With Cincy's bad 3pt shooting and good athleticism and ability to drive and draw fouls, good FT shooting has to be worth a good few wins. If they would have shot 70% from the line, they very likely would have beaten us and definitely would have beaten Xavier last night.

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    1. The Cincy coach is STILL whining about the end of the Gonzaga game -- he brought up the no-call to the ESPN announcers prior to the game -- said they should have been undefeated and beaten Gonzaga.
    sometimes i wonder why people give so much about the last action, i am pretty sure it wasn't the only questionable call and if they all caleld correctly maybe Chinci was behind at this point of the game - but i don't think that one action call decides a game if they made 1-2 faults less they are ahead at this point of the game and the call has no effect - if gonzaga makes few faults maybe the call won't bring them close and they loose by a higher margin because of a different last minute.

There is no one thing that ever causes you lose a game. It's an accumulation of things. It's one of the reasons why I will never blame a loss totally on poor foul shooting. As important as it is, let's be honest....blocking out someone for a rebound or not picking up a stupid foul is a lot easier than expecting an 18 year old freshman to make a pressure foul shot with 3 seconds left on the clock in front 18,659 people.

Cincinnati has a dangerous game on Wednesday when they travel to UAB. The Blazers are 8-1 right now. Cincy kicks off Big East play with a home game against UConn on 12/30.

Default I caught that game

Cinnci plays ugly. Seeing them play is like watching tag team wrestling.