• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FuManShoes
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

PT for AP?

Is tonight the night Andy Poling gets some minutes and uses them well? I hold out hope that he can play a role this season, but the clock's ticking.
    “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few
  • Ziggy
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

The smile on his face after finishing on the rim bodes well for Andy. He just has to make all of his free throws when he gets to the line and he will be valuable. He is only a freshman right?
    "Reaching into his bag and taking out a stone, he slung it and struck..."

Comment

• alaskazagnut

It is great to see him play

But going 1-9 in FT worries me. Does anyone know what his FT% was in high school. 1 for 9 is very bad but I can't blame him for freshman jitters if that is all it is. I just hope that is all it is.

Comment

• fedwayzag
        Kennel Club Alum
        • Feb 2007

My favorite play of the night was the Arop to Andy assist and one. You could just see how happy grant gibbs and Manny were for him. Even after the time out Manny gave him pat on the butt again. To looked me Manny was saying we all know you can do it. Have confidence. Very cool from a true freshman to a redshirt freshman.

Comment

• FuManShoes
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

His form looks ok but he has zero loft on thos FT attempts. Aim higher, buddy!
          “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

Comment

• MickMick
            Zag for Life
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by fedwayzag View Post
            My favorite play of the night was the Arop to Andy assist and one. You could just see how happy grant gibbs and Manny were for him. Even after the time out Manny gave him pat on the butt again. To looked me Manny was saying we all know you can do it. Have confidence. Very cool from a true freshman to a redshirt freshman.
            Nice scene. I liked it too.
            I miss Mike Hart

Comment

• Kiddwell
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Andy's big opportunity looks to be WCC play. Kiddwell's very interested in his development during those games.

Go get 'em, Andy!

:]
              Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Kiddwell View Post
                Andy's big opportunity looks to be WCC play. Kiddwell's very interested in his development during those games.

Go get 'em, Andy!

:]
                Sacre and Harris are going to have to be careful during WCC play, with all the ticky-tack fouls they're going to accumulate.

Comment

• ZagsGoZags
                  Zag for Life
                  • Nov 2007

For the last three weeks I have been wondering why Poling wasn't getting minutes. I wondered about health and injury and just hadn't heard anything. I wondered about a quiet disciplinary situation. Now both of those possibilities have been crossed off my list.

Comment

• ExtremeJim
                    Kennel Club Material
                    • Feb 2007

If you are a post player making only 9% of your free throws for the season, you are lucky to ever get in a game, no matter how many field-goal attempts you have without a miss. The other team soon learns that to foul you is a turnover, so all they need to do is put their scrub center in to hack you whenever you shoot.

I have never heard of a D-I player who makes less than 10% of his free throws, have you? I think Memphis had a starter a few years back with a career percentage somewhere around 40. What should be the absolute minimum tolerable percentage?

More than 9, that's for certain. Free-throw technique can be improved by practice. Let Poling work on it by himself, and when he has made 7,000 out of 10,000, give him all the playing time he wants. Until then, he lacks a basic qualification to play.

Comment

• UberZagFan
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ExtremeJim View Post
                      If you are a post player making only 9% of your free throws for the season, you are lucky to ever get in a game, no matter how many field-goal attempts you have without a miss. The other team soon learns that to foul you is a turnover, so all they need to do is put their scrub center in to hack you whenever you shoot.

I have never heard of a D-I player who makes less than 10% of his free throws, have you? I think Memphis had a starter a few years back with a career percentage somewhere around 40. What should be the absolute minimum tolerable percentage?

More than 9, that's for certain. Free-throw technique can be improved by practice. Let Poling work on it by himself, and when he has made 7,000 out of 10,000, give him all the playing time he wants. Until then, he lacks a basic qualification to play.
                      Uber agrees. But the sample size is extremely low: if he makes his next one he will almost double his average.
                      If you can't handle the confusion, stay out of the Foo!

Uber on GuBoards: "Pathetic. We've got posters just sleepwalking through threads."

No Foo for You!

Comment

• jake
                        Kennel Club Alum
                        • Feb 2007

There is something awkward about Poling's release on his free throws right now. I don't know what his percentage was in high school, but in the games I saw (5-6 probably) he was a decent free throw shooter. Something does look off, but as was pointed out you're talking about a sample size of 9 shots from a guy coming cold off the bench.

Comment

• 75Zag
                          Zag for Life
                          • Mar 2007

Andy P

I followed Andy's high school career closely and was favorably impressed. I predicted that he would do well as a Bulldog. However, I did not forsee that GU's style of play might transition from the good old "flex" to a more aggressive in-your-face-break-your-collarbone style. I love Andy's game, but I think it is very unlikely that Andy is never going to fit into a Pitt style of offense. Assuming that E Harris is the future of GU (and that would be OK with me), Andy may benefit from going to another school. I don't suggest that he should and I would miss him as a Bulldog, but he is an old-school finesse player, not a kick-your-azz in-your-face banger.

But maybe he will change. No idea.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!
                          Do not go gentle into that good night,
                          Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
                          Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Comment

• deathchina
                            Professional Zag Fan
                            • Mar 2007

I am usually not a fan of finesse post players...

Comment

• Ezag
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

So far Polling has not really shown me much albeit he has had limited minutes but there was a concern about him in his last couple of years of high school because of the medical condition, etc and I think those still are valid concerns today

Comment

Working...
                              X