Thread: Steve Lavin and his commentary

Default Steve Lavin and his commentary

I have watched the replay of the game several times now, and I feel Lavin's commentary of Harris' foul was completely uncalled for. I think injecting his personal feelings into that situation almost borders on irresponsibility, imo. I just don't feel it's his job. Lavin is a dramatic person, and enjoys adding his personal drama of a situation to "milk it" for everything it's worth.

He was wrong in trying to say what he felt Few would do, and as it turned out Few DID NOT do what Lavin suggested he'd do. He kept saying how dangerous the blow was, and kept saying it was blow to the neck. He never once considered the fact that McFarland could be faking. The way McFarland fell to the floor gave the APPEARANCE that it was a LETHAL blow as Lavin would have you believe. Lavis's use of very strong adjectives to describe the blow added to the error in judgement, imo. I think Lavin also influenced the way that many people watching the game saw the play.

I would think it's an announcer's job to be objective. I thought the other announcer was trying to be objective, but Lavin always seemed to have to have the last say.

Where in the rules does it say someone can not block out with force? Where is that mentality taught in Divisin I basketball. Where are the ballplayers taught to not be tough and physical. You got to give it McFarland, for perhaps giving one of the greatest performances of the year. In fact, because there is so much acting and flopping in the game today maybe there really should be an All-American floppers team, and Flopper of the year. McFarland would certainly make the team. If you have a chance to watch the game again, do. And pay particular attention to how hurt McFarland is about a minute after it happens when the camera focusses on him during a time-out and you will see a pretty happy McFarland who is laughing and is fired up. As I watch that I get the feeling that this thing was planned in advanced. McFarland was definitely NOT hurt, and for that reason alone Lavin was taken in more than anyone by McFarlands acting. Watch the replay trying to focus on the actig job McFarland did. I think you may see a blow that was delivered by Harris probably as he has always done. Yes, it was high, but I do not see a forearm shiver as Lavin would have you believe. I see a blow to the upper chest.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

I agree with you a great deal with you about both Lavin and the situation. Lavin's the same guy that after one nationally televised game was ready to call Gonzaga one of the best front courts in the nation and give ideal euphemisms for each of their leading scorers (WD40, etc). But of course when the situation fits hostility, he's gotta sell it.

One thing I really noticed in the replay I watched of the game was how willing McFarland was to stand right next to Elias during the free throws for Matt's foul. If you see it, he's come and collected and acts like its just another set of free throws during a busy game. He's fine.

I don't think MacFarland flopped, Harris clearly knocked him down. Harris is tough and when he blocks you out, you are blocked out.

I do agree that Lavins comments were over the top. I asked myself how much too high was Harris's shot to get him ejected? 6 inches? If he hits him in the chest there is a foul without an ejection. So, imho we are only talking about 6 inches here being the difference between a hard foul and an ejection. It's not as though Harris punched him with a fist or was retaliating away from the play. He was away from the ball although clearly boxing out with the shot coming, which happens many times every game although typically with less force and below the neck.

I'm glad to see this is blowing over and Harris will play next game.
    It's not the size of the Bulldog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the Bulldog!

GO ZAGS!!!

I think you're wearing the Zag-colored glasses, Reborn! Lavin is a big supporter of our program and to me was unbiased and dead-on in his assessment. Some other posters have broken down the situation quite well, so no need go over that.

I just got done reading this book called The Art of Racing in the Rain - good book, among other things about race car driving. Anywho, the big "life" take away from the book was: What happned is not important, it's your next move that matters. I can't wait to see how Few/Harris respond...

Go Zags!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cjm720 View Post
    I think you're wearing the Zag-colored glasses, Reborn! Lavin is a big supporter of our program and to me was unbiased and dead-on in his assessment.

Go Zags!!!
    Wouldn't you be as well, seeing as because he's a supporter of the program that his comments are not out of bounds? I mean I'm not attacking but in all honesty it seems Lavin's in it for Lavin.

Default CJM 720 is on target

Quote Originally Posted by cjm720 View Post
    I just got done reading this book called The Art of Racing in the Rain - good book, among other things about race car driving. Anywho, the big "life" take away from the book was: What happned is not important, it's your next move that matters. I can't wait to see how Few/Harris respond...

Go Zags!!!
    That is brilliant. One of the things they say that a good tennis player does, is forget the previous bad play. Ivan Lendl would have been the greatest ever if he could have done that. Most athletes get into negative thinking cycles after they have a bad outcome. It is important not to do that.

Furthermore, I really like what the coach said. He said the Elias is a good kid, and that it is not in his character to commit flagrant fouls. So that being the case, it won't happen anymore, and nobody needs to say anything more. I hope he takes a look at the tape though, so he can see what the refs took away from it. I don't know Elias, but from his interviews, I agree with coach. He seems like a really nice young man.

Sili

Quote Originally Posted by siliconzag View Post
    I hope he takes a look at the tape though, so he can see what the refs took away from it.
    I was surprised Few hadn't seen the tape prior to the interview for his show. I would've thought he would want to see it immediately after the game so he could see what Harris did. So many have talked about this being a learning situation for Harris and I am wondering how Few teaches from this incident without seeing it himself. I guess his staff is on it. Not second guessing here, just trying to understand the process.
    It's not the size of the Bulldog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the Bulldog!

GO ZAGS!!!

Just one more reason to mute the sound during games and listen to the play-by-play and commentary by HuddyBuddy and The Big Sexy on KGA radio. They quickly agreed the ref's call was correct and moved on from there.

Richard Fox generally calls it like he sees it, without excessive emotion, as far as foul calls and no-calls are concerned, and, to me, he's so fair and impartial I'm pretty confident he's got it right.

Too bad GoZags.com KGA link doesn't seem to work predictably enough (from what I understand - I listen on local radio) that more fans out of the area can't listen to it with the TV muted.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    Too bad GoZags.com KGA link doesn't seem to work predictably enough (from what I understand - I listen on local radio) that more fans out of the area can't listen to it with the TV muted.
    I wish that would happen too. Once or twice a year I do listen to Hudson and Fox, and I really enjooy it 100%. My problem is I can't get that station from my house and I have to drive all over the place to try to find a spot where the station barely comes in at all. I especially feel that way about Ehlo and Heister. They are a joke for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by SpokastSports View Post
    I agree with you a great deal with you about both Lavin and the situation. Lavin's the same guy that after one nationally televised game was ready to call Gonzaga one of the best front courts in the nation and give ideal euphemisms for each of their leading scorers (WD40, etc). But of course when the situation fits hostility, he's gotta sell it.

One thing I really noticed in the replay I watched of the game was how willing McFarland was to stand right next to Elias during the free throws for Matt's foul. If you see it, he's come and collected and acts like its just another set of free throws during a busy game. He's fine.
    From what i hear, Mcfarland had some pretty antagonizing words for Elias after they concluded that it was a flagrant. Yet another reason to hate Mcfarland.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray'sAnatomy View Post
    He's like a surgeon, removing my will to live with every comment he makes. He's like a can of WD-40, slippery when he speaks.
    He's like a box of summer's eve, smells nice, but just unpleasant all around.
    Speaking of WD-40, there wasn't an oil slick on top of Lavin's head on Saturday. I haven't paid close attention - is he like that all the time now or just every now and then?
    youtube - "The Runner"

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2013

Dumbing down the internet, one post at a time

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2011

Default Big Heart, Small Town

Chas McFarland: Small Town Hero. You just didn't know it

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3821989
    IF YOU WANT A THING DONE WELL, DO IT YOURSELF. -NAPOLEON BONAPARTE

Agent provocateur

I used to like Wake Forest a lot. Never again. What could be cool is that if we both make it to the NCAA tournament that we get the pleasure of playing them there, on that stage.

Bilas' take on it:
    Plenty of love to go around after weekend games

Here's my take on the weekend's best and worst in college basketball. Remember, these apply to only this weekend's games, not the whole season …

Most Important Call: The flagrant foul call on Gonzaga's Elias Harris for his elbow on Wake Forest's Chas McFarland was gigantic and a major factor in Gonzaga's 77-75 loss. It took Harris out of the game, and he has the best motor of any player on the floor. If Harris does not throw the flagrant elbow (which is a point of emphasis), the Zags probably win at home.
    No dishing out moral judgment or calling out Elias, or representing that it somehow tarnished Elias' or GU's reputation, as some posters claimed here and pretty much made guboards uninhabitable this weekend with emotional rants.

Doubtless Lavin's rhetoric fanned most of that overreaction by some fans on guboards.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    I wish that would happen too. Once or twice a year I do listen to Hudson and Fox, and I really enjooy it 100%. My problem is I can't get that station from my house and I have to drive all over the place to try to find a spot where the station barely comes in at all. I especially feel that way about Ehlo and Heister. They are a joke for sure.
    They detuned KGA and I haven't been able to pull it in at all since here in western Wa. Used to get most of the games if they were on after dark. Not so any more.

The online radio broadcast is a lost cause. I have tried a couple of times over the years. One time the support guy I talked to blamed my firewall. I don't understand how I can get good service like for a streamed Netflix movie but not from the outfit that provides the KGA feed
    "thnk god for few" jazzdelmar(12/12/11 12:50pm)
    "When most of us couldn't buy a basket. Where do we get off anyway?!" siliconzag (11/17/06 5:45:41 pm)
    I am monitoring the price of a donut

Yes Lavin was way over the top, came short of calling it a murder.

Though I don't condone what happened, McFarland was not clearly hurt at all. Infact minutes later he played just as he had before until he fouled out later in the game

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    Bilas' take on it:

No dishing out moral judgment or calling out Elias, or representing that it somehow tarnished Elias' or GU's reputation, as some posters claimed here and pretty much made guboards uninhabitable this weekend with emotional rants.

Doubtless Lavin's rhetoric fanned most of that overreaction by some fans on guboards.
    -----------------------------------------
    THANK YOU ZAGNATIVE!!!!
    Perfect wording for how I felt about this weekends posting...
    We pick up from here, keep the positives from the game- including some impressive bench play in the second half, and move on, period.

Quote Originally Posted by Rangerzag View Post
    They detuned KGA and I haven't been able to pull it in at all since here in western Wa. Used to get most of the games if they were on after dark. Not so any more.
    This reminds me - I was scanning the AM dial while trying to leave the St Mary's parking lot after last January's GU game and stopped on what sounded like a post game show. The signal was a little weak, but I though it could be the SMC radio team so I stopped to listen for a while. I quickly realized it was KGA!

(For those that know the area, I was able to listen to the postgame show from SMC's parking lot until I got on the freeway in Orinda)
    youtube - "The Runner"

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2013

Dumbing down the internet, one post at a time

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2011

i watched the game again reborn and i have to go with my first opinion during the actual game. I actually think that Harris got the exact punishment he deserved. I understand the forearm block out notion. But to me this was not the same thing, Harris extended his arm completely after he made contact and Macfarland falls to floor, I think if this was just a blockout situation his arm would not have extended the way it did, it would have been a controled movement regardless if Mcfarland fell down or not. BelI will be the first to say that I am all for tough and physical play that is exactly what my youth coach taught me, but when you do what Harris did you leave yourself open to the Reffs judgement. Oh well it happens some time, it doesnt mean that Harris is a dirty player or thug or anything like that. He seems to be a nice young man by all appearances so that will not change for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    I have watched the replay of the game several times now, and I feel Lavin's commentary of Harris' foul was completely uncalled for. I think injecting his personal feelings into that situation almost borders on irresponsibility, imo. I just don't feel it's his job. Lavin is a dramatic person, and enjoys adding his personal drama of a situation to "milk it" for everything it's worth.

He was wrong in trying to say what he felt Few would do, and as it turned out Few DID NOT do what Lavin suggested he'd do. He kept saying how dangerous the blow was, and kept saying it was blow to the neck. He never once considered the fact that McFarland could be faking. The way McFarland fell to the floor gave the APPEARANCE that it was a LETHAL blow as Lavin would have you believe. Lavis's use of very strong adjectives to describe the blow added to the error in judgement, imo. I think Lavin also influenced the way that many people watching the game saw the play.

I would think it's an announcer's job to be objective. I thought the other announcer was trying to be objective, but Lavin always seemed to have to have the last say.

Where in the rules does it say someone can not block out with force? Where is that mentality taught in Divisin I basketball. Where are the ballplayers taught to not be tough and physical. You got to give it McFarland, for perhaps giving one of the greatest performances of the year. In fact, because there is so much acting and flopping in the game today maybe there really should be an All-American floppers team, and Flopper of the year. McFarland would certainly make the team. If you have a chance to watch the game again, do. And pay particular attention to how hurt McFarland is about a minute after it happens when the camera focusses on him during a time-out and you will see a pretty happy McFarland who is laughing and is fired up. As I watch that I get the feeling that this thing was planned in advanced. McFarland was definitely NOT hurt, and for that reason alone Lavin was taken in more than anyone by McFarlands acting. Watch the replay trying to focus on the actig job McFarland did. I think you may see a blow that was delivered by Harris probably as he has always done. Yes, it was high, but I do not see a forearm shiver as Lavin would have you believe. I see a blow to the upper chest.