Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wow what a win!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Default Wow what a win!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So much never quit in this team so freaking exciting!!!!-Congrats on a great one and Wisconsin beat duke I think?-

I have no idea how the Zags won that game. They just shut WSU down cold and started making all the hustle plays. Matt's threes opened things up inside and he found guys time and again. And Steven was determined not to let Klay be the hero. Awesome D down the stretch. The Zags should never have been in that position by playing so very sloppy and lethargic in the first half. But whatever. Survive and advance ...

And those of you who've been doubting Kelly -- are you happy now?
    “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by NYCZAG View Post
    and Wisconsin beat duke I think?-

yup
    "The best players will play. That's the way it will always be." Larry Bird

Couldn't bear the first half, so I did the dishes in the first half listening on my Walkman, with visions of a humiliating loss in my head. Could not believe the comeback, especially Elias and Matt's performance, with nice contributions by Grant Gibbs, but especially Kelly.

Nice!

Who is considered the best freshman in the country?

John Wall? Lance Stevenson? Henson from UNC?

I dunno about you, but I wouldn't swap Harris for any of them. In my mind, Harris is, without a doubt, the best freshman in the country.

That frosh PG for WSU is pretty impressive too.
    I miss Mike Hart

Default wow, what a game !

we had our hats in our hands for 3/4ths of this g ame and then basically gutted out a win by, imo, taking over where we were basically missing, under the basket.

haven't seen the stats but I'm sure we were seriously outrebounded first 3/4ths and basically failed, also, to attack the net. the last 10 minutes that was reversed.

Elias, KO, Matt, all drove and drove and drove, opening up that brick wall which, in turn, opened up the possibility of the 3, which MB started canning.

Even Steven, who did a fab job versus their big gun, had perhaps his worst off game ever. However, he got two game changing t/o's at the most critical points when WSU still had a chance. A dagger from a warrior who couldn't find his ass with either hand before that.

Great game. Great effort. No quit in these guys. Also, Meech and Gj had tough matchups and we went with the taller liineup, which also proved providential on Few's part.

So we went from being outhustled to outhustling them when it mattered. Again.

go TEAM Zags ! !

Man, I was really upset and really grateful by the end of this.
    Gray, sacre and goodson really didn't amaze at all this game. I think I counted 5 turnovers just from gray passing to nobody. Despite Bouldin having a career day, Harris is the story. The man is a beast.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

Mentally Tough.....got out hustled first half, but not the second half

Play with a Chip on their shoulders in second half

Thought was typical game for a team full of youngsters and we will have these this year.

Would have loved to been fly on wall at half time to see the "discussion" in the lockerroom

First half they "forgot" about the other kids on the team I thought. Stood around on offense in first half and the quick double team on post forced us into erros because of the stand and watch attitude...

Grey did awesome job on defense...and for those who have never "chased" a scorer it is very mentally taxing and for me that showed on some of his passes....but he was tremendous on the defensive end

Oly and Gibbs in the last 6 minutes of the game...wow....tremedous "trust" demonstrated by the coaching staff in these two kids during that critical stage of the game

I will take Matt and Harris over Thompson any day of the week

WSU had twice as many 0ffensive boards, six less TO's, attempted 16 more shots, and just as many rebs overall.

How'd the Zags win this game?

Two words: Boudlin & Elias.

While we've shown a flare for dramatic comebacks, we displayed many weaknesses this game. Coach Bone flushed out how to defend the Zags. Run the most unique match-up 2-3 zone I've ever seen and hope our guards aren't on. Fortnately for us, Bouldin was shooting well from 3pt and Elias took advantage of rebounding and was a man on a mission in 2nd half. Also, props to Kelly for playing smart bball and providing a much needed spark off the bench. Nice adjustments at half.

I fully expect us to play better overall on Saturday. We won't see that maniacal zone defense and our guys love to match-up against athletic teams who play a bit out of sorts at times. We'll take advantage of Wake's unorganized structure and the fact they'll want to play man-to-man more than WSU.

Great teams find ways to win even when they're not playing well. Is Gonzaga a great team? Well, I'm starting to believe more and more with each passing game.

As far as Wazzu... They coug'd it. Enough said.

I was most impressed with Matt and Kelly. These two put the team on their back and refused to lose. Matt really made a statement about his abilities tonight.
    Gonzaga Basketball
    Exhibiting Character Since 1907

Zags played poorly first half---but my impression was that the Cougs were playing beyond their means at the same time. Cougs came back to earth in 2nd half, and Zags finally showed up in the nick of time...

Albeit with a lineup most of us would not have guessed to get the win.
    "The best players will play. That's the way it will always be." Larry Bird

Default double digit comebacks

I don't want to go the whole season this way..... but over the past 3-5 seasons....can you think of any 2nd half double-digit deficits the Zags overcame to win? ....I do like hte heart and fight this team is showing.
    It's What You learn AFTER You Know It All That Counts

I can't take this sh*t anymore, if this keeps up I will die from a heart attack at the age of 26.
    But hell, I would rather die seeing the Zags win than die with the taste of a filthy coug victory in my mouth.

Default Grant

While Grant Gibbs didn't get a lot of stats, I though he played well. He kept his cool, played good defense and had a couple of assist. He was out there not trying to be the man, but trying to help. I see him getting more minutes.

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

Quote Originally Posted by FieldHouseFishHouse View Post
    I can't take this sh*t anymore, if this keeps up I will die from a heart attack at the age of 26.
    But hell, I would rather die seeing the Zags win than die with the taste of a filthy coug victory in my mouth.
    I cant stop laughing. You couldn't have said it better.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

what a win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so freaked out I forgot to add:
    This is a good WSU team. There are not that many good wins available in the PAC-10 this year, but I think that if they finish 3-4 in league, get out of the non-conf with 1-2 more losses or less, and get a couple wins in the PAC-10 tourney, they will be one hell of a 8-12 seed come march. If they slip up and head to the NIT, they could make a deep run there as well.
    KT can obviously score, just not tonight.
    Casto hits the offensive glass so hard he will get his points, also a nightmare on defense which is no surprise.
    Moore is a good freshman and as such will get better.
    Capers is kind of a Gumby on defense and can finish around the rim.
    Assorted role players did their jobs for 32 minutes tonight.
    The future is bright for WSU if KT and Casto stick around.

Mad props for Matt. Without his consistent effort it was a double digit loss. Period.

So what just happened there?
    If you can't handle the confusion, stay out of the Foo!

Uber on GuBoards: "Pathetic. We've got posters just sleepwalking through threads."

No Foo for You!

Quote Originally Posted by UberZagFan View Post
    So what just happened there?
    Zags snatched victory from the jaws of defeat. . .

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

epic win. amazing. i'm emotionally exhausted.

heister and ehlo actually said something intelligent tonight when the mentioned elias' mean look on his face. they were right on the money. there was a point in the game where he decided it was time to unleash his inner bulldozer and the look of determination (i think) rallied our troops to bust their butts.

amazing game. bouldin was unreal. lights out. his shots in the first half kept us just barely in the game. and the three to cut the lead to 1...i nearly died.

i love gonzaga victories!

GU Class of '07

Quote Originally Posted by FieldHouseFishHouse View Post
    What are you talking about...I would much rather have this team than the 2005-2006 'Cardiac Zags'. It seemed like every game was a nail biter because they couldn't play defense. Who could forget the Michigan State and UConn tilts in Maui, the BiS thriller over Oklahoma State, the extremely over-looked nail biter against St. Louis (not many people comment on that game but that game bugged me something fierce), the crazy USD winner by Erroll, etc. That season took about 10 years off my life. And, goes without saying, the game that ended the season is firmly ingrained in my memory for all time. So...this team hasn't done much.

I was extemely proud of the way they fought back.
    IF YOU WANT A THING DONE WELL, DO IT YOURSELF. -NAPOLEON BONAPARTE

From the AP story posted all over the place (grabbed of ESPN):

Harris and Olynyk each added a pair of free throws, and the Cougars were harassed into turnovers and misses, in part because of a boisterous full house.

"I've never been through a crowd like this before," Moore said. "It's so loud, you can't even call a play."