View Poll Results: Who's your GUnit?

Voters
171. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gray (shut down Thompson!)

9 5.26%
  • Harris (insane line in the 2nd half)

68 39.77%
  • Bouldin (career high!! Dickau-esque!!)

72 42.11%
  • Olynyk

9 5.26%
  • The team/coach

12 7.02%
  • Someone else

1 0.58%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: GUnit of the Game--- WSU 12-2-09

I voted for Elias because he was the one who did most to stop their winning strategy of coming straight at us, boxing us out, winning the rebounds, and their big men challenging ours. When the momentum had gone their way for so long (10 min left in game) Harris was grinding out a cunning and focused challenge to them underneath.

Harris has to be the most mentally tough zag I can remember since Batista and Ammo in his last year, (maybe Pendo in there too). Matt helped turn the game at crucial points and had 28 pts. But finally I felt the victory in the trenches with Elias was more impressive and crucial than Matt having an excellent 3 pt night. Besides Elias had almost as many points 24, and more rebounds.

i voted for Harris, without seeing the game because of his impressiv Statsline 24 Points in 33 min is very big, and imho stronger then 27 Points in 40mins.

Combined with a shooting percentage over 70% and eleven rebounds, make his stats line pretty awesome and hard to believe that he make the most of it in the second half.

I can not see grays defense, so it was surely unfair for him, but his offensiv performances especially the TO don't look that good and i hoped elias makes an (atleast) solid game on both side of the court.

Edit: another reason why i vote for harris, that i am more Harris then Zags fan and now shame on me

Few.....not only for his adjustments (spreading the floor with a smaller lineup), but because of how he develops his players.

Love this quote from Spokesman Blog....

"One thing assistant coach Ben Johnson told Marcus Capers and the rest of the Cougars was they couldn’t relax on defense when Matt Bouldin or Steven Gray came off a screen. The Zag guards will relax and then explode to an open spot. Too often he was right. Bouldin got a lot of his looks not by coming off a screen but by baiting Capers into standing a little, then making a quick cut to get space and a pass. That’s all he needed Wednesday night."

...part of this is instincts, but running the right drills in practice makes those instincts second nature..
    No sense in playing an in-state rival if you have to eat lopsided defeats. It's just like the great Athenian orator and statesman Demosthenes once said -- and I'm paraphrasing -- it's better to be called a chicken and not lose to Gonzaga than to be called brave and get blasted.

- Parrish, CBS Sportsline 12/11/2006

I went with Bouldin because of his first half efforts, but both he and Harris should share second half POG honors. Harris..wow, just wow.

Gray had some unbelievable steals at the end of the game and really contained Klay all night.

Olynick played smart and with grit...clutch free throw shooter.

The guy that calmed the storm was Grant Gibbs though....We needed some buckets and Gibbs made it happen.

All and all, another come from behind victory...this team is shaping up to be one of my favorites!!!

Go Zags!!!
    Last edited by cjm720; 12-03-2009 at 07:20 AM. Reason: spelling

I've decided to go with Harris. Matty was throwing daggers all night, but Harris is the one who started the push in the second half, just dominating all aspects and refusing to be beaten. KO was a stud off the bench. SG was a gem on defense, and even though he had 6 to's (give WSU some credit for their D here. They did a great job of filling passing lanes all night.

It really could have been a coin flip between MB and EH though.
    Speak softly, but carry a big Foo stick.

I gotta fever, and the only prescription is more COWBELL!!!!

I am giving to the guy that doesn't get many, but is more responsible for wins and any other Zag, Coach Few. WSU came in with a great game plan, and Few's half time adjustments were amazing. Finding a away to clear the paint so that Harris could operate, changing the defending of backside screens in the second half (GU fought through the screens rather than switching, keeping Gray and Arop on Klay, rather than getting a favorable switch) He made the right moves to give his guys the plan to come back and win the game.
    ----
    Why not try Love Poems. They work to prime the pump.

Default boulding

just barely though, harris played better all around, but matt just made too many big threes

I'm quite surprised only ten people have voted thus far for the coaches. I felt that they came out in the second half with a excellent game plan after seeing that their original plan wasn't working. And to come up with a game plan that would ultimately overcome the strangling defense that Wazzu was playing (Triple teaming at times downlow, etc.).

I also felt that they made some, at times tough, moves to keep some on the bench and put your total faith and trust into a Frosh. That's not an easy decision to make, but he (they) made it and it paid off, greatly. It goes against reason to keep your best overall performers on the bench, even if they are having a rough game.

There were some other great performances. Bouldin keeping us in the game in the first half and leading the charge back. Gray literally sticking to Thompson. He may have scored four points, but he (along with a couple rotations by other Zags) held Klay to 15 points, 13 points below is average. That in my mind, is just like scoring on the offensive end if you can play that kind of D. Harris was huge as well, showing even more versatility in driving and going off the dribble.

But...

I give my vote for GUnit to Coach Few and the Staff. People often complain that Few is always out-coached (which I don't buy), but last night he showed what kind of coach he is and can be. Good job Few and Co.

SWZag

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

Drew Guest

I would have voted for co-GUnit of Bouldin/Gray/Harris if it was an option. I voted for Gray only because his votes should have been closer to Bouldin & Harris.

Default 40 minutes says it all

Quote Originally Posted by Malastein View Post
    Bouldin played the full game, shot the ball well, had only two turnovers, and was glowing of his praise for a teammate's defense. That's senior leadership, and his strong 40 minutes gave the Zags the opportunity to rise up in the second half. Nobody else played as well in both halves.
    +1

Matty playing the entire game tipped the scales... MB=POG

Nice to see that our german export is doing fine overseas Btw: Derek Raivio plays a great season for Trier.

woohoo: Uber has to register his objection to your poll. Hasn't it been discussed and determined that only players can be a GUnit and then only a vote for one player? Jeesh. No "team" votes and definitely no "Few" votes (see Uber's post in the CU GUnit thread).

Uber also thinks there should be no poll and everyone should just state the name. And then we could go back to the woohoo tallies. Would give woohoo something to do.
    If you can't handle the confusion, stay out of the Foo!

Uber on GuBoards: "Pathetic. We've got posters just sleepwalking through threads."

No Foo for You!

Default How do you choose.

Voted for Matt, but it was close. Harris is so impressive and was a force in the second half. And KO and Gibbs looked great too.
    What happened to Rob? Gray had me worried with some sloppy TOs and no baskets. Yet I say we do not win that game without his big D down the stretch. He is a big part of why WSU good not buy a basket down the stretch. He really is a gifted player.

Quote Originally Posted by UberZagFan View Post
    woohoo: Uber has to register his objection to your poll. Hasn't it been discussed and determined that only players can be a GUnit and then only a vote for one player? Jeesh. No "team" votes and definitely no "Few" votes (see Uber's post in the CU GUnit thread).

Uber also thinks there should be no poll and everyone should just state the name. And then we could go back to the woohoo tallies. Would give woohoo something to do.
    I kinda agree that it is semi-pointless to have a 'team' vote. But...but....but....I don't know, I go back and forth on the idea.

Also, do you realize how TIME-CONSUMING adding each individual vote is?!?! It takes like 7 stinkin minutes Uber!!
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Speaking realistically, and on the basis of merit alone,

if Few is on the ballot, I will be forced to vote for him every game, even (if we voted) in a loss

Quote Originally Posted by UberZagFan View Post

In opposition to now, which gives Uber something to do, which is complain
    "thnk god for few" jazzdelmar(12/12/11 12:50pm)
    "When most of us couldn't buy a basket. Where do we get off anyway?!" siliconzag (11/17/06 5:45:41 pm)
    I am monitoring the price of a donut

It's WooHoo's game, he started it, so he can set the rules, however I must admit that I like the original rules: "one vote, one person, player only". Team votes are cop outs even if deserved.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    It's WooHoo's game, he started it, so he can set the rules, however I must admit that I like the original rules: "one vote, one person, player only". Team votes are cop outs even if deserved.
    I know we're not going to change the rules, but I would have given a half vote each to Harris and Bouldin. Or let us vote for two people if you prefer. This was one of those nights that when I voted for Matt, I felt like I was robbing Elias.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyGonzaga View Post
    Is it possible to rate each player between 1-10 then tally up the votes, giving Woohoo more to do?
    How about if we rate each player, 1-10, and then assign a color. The more pigment the color has, the higher vote that player gets. Then, you would also assign a shape to each player, the more side's the shape has, the higher your vote. For instance, if you wanted to give someone a low score, you would give them a circle, which has 1 side.

Then I would tally the votes. In this case, the Washington State GUnit would be Matt Francis Bouldin, with 72 votes and a yellow decagon.
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

ID ZAGFAN Guest

Default Great post

Loved it, WooHoo.

ID ZAGFAN

youtube - "The Runner"

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2013

Dumbing down the internet, one post at a time

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2011

A circle has one side WooHoo? Now we're treading into the same dangerous territory of a few days back whether "0" was a #!!

This board is getting way to metaphysical for me.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    A circle has one side WooHoo? Now we're treading into the same dangerous territory of a few days back whether "0" was a #!!

This board is getting way to metaphysical for me.
    I think they have two sides; inside and outside.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time