Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Potential Transfer Emerges

Default A Potential Transfer Emerges

http://ucla.scout.com/2/925093.html

Drew Gordon, the sophomore post player, is no longer a member of the UCLA basketball team and will transfer, according to UCLA.
    Coach Ben Howland discussed it today at his weekly press conference.

"After several discussions with Drew, we both have decided that it is in the best interest of our program and Drew that he continues his career at another school," Howland said. "He is no longer a member of our team and will transfer at the end of the quarter.

"This is not a spur of the moment decision and, ultimately, it's what's best for all parties."
    So the question is: Should Gonzaga pursue this highly rated PF, or not? He'd have 2.5 years of eligibility, according to my calculations, if he were to transfer after first semester.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Default Gordon

Would need to know why Gordon is leaving UCLA. His recruiting stats looked pretty good. As down as UCLA is this year, why are they passing on a talented (on paper at least) player? Head case? Discipline problem? Homesick?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

If he is wanting lots of playing time and a starting position, GU wouldn't be the best situation. If he wants to wait his turn and help off of the bench, then sure.

Good luck to him.
    "I enjoyed watching them play more than watching us play," Izzo said after watching his team eke out a 75-71 win over Gonzaga. "I thought they punched us in the mouth, picked us up and punched us in the mouth again."

Sacre
    Harris
    Dower
    Olynyk

I don't see where he fits. I could care less about where he was rated coming out of HS. That's over now.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Sacre
    Harris
    Dower
    Olynyk

I don't see where he fits.
    Move Olynyk back to his natural SF position...have a post rotation of Harris, Sacre, Dower, Gordon

Do not forget that Robert may go pro after next year. Also Harris may be thinking of this. If that is a high possibility and they can find out why he is leaving, then I think he would be an option. But remember, he would have to pay his own way for the rest of this year.

depending on the reason he is leaving, i would absolutely take him.

If he's sincerely interested in becoming a Zag, I say give him a chance. Gordon would only add to our depth in the frontcourt, but he'd have to be OK in accepting a bench role at GU. No way he starts or plays in front of Sacre or Harris.

All that said, I remember Drew nearly committed to Kentucky out of high school, so maybe Coach Cal is pulling some strings on this one? Who knows...

Either way, best of luck to him & his future endeavors.

Keep in mind that GU needs 3 available schoolies for 2011 (Bell, a wing like Dranginis and Wiltjer), and that Kong, Arop and Gibbs will be competing for time at the 3 next season.....

He couldn't play (per NCAA rules) till next late- to mid-December. From what I've gathered, he and Howland didn't see eye to eye, I'll leave it at that.

In my experience, transfers "usually" transfer closer to home. That would bode well for SCU, SMC, USF and other Bay Area schools. There are exceptions but it's kinda rare that transfers don't move back near home.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Quote Originally Posted by BobZag View Post
    In my experience, transfers "usually" transfer closer to home. That would bode well for SCU, SMC, USF and other Bay Area schools. There are exceptions but it's kinda rare that transfers don't move back near home.
    What about Cal? I recall Gordon visiting Berkeley during the recruitment process and they seem to be much improved this year. I suppose any North Cal school is an option for Drew to land...

I predict a school such as Cal or Kentucky for a likely destination.

Could GU use him, sure, will they persue - No. I dont know the specifics and would like to but a scoring PF would be a welcome addition off the bench in my mind. I think if he was to join the ranks we would probably see one of our own transfer out though.

I'm not understanding the position that Drew Gordon might not fit with the pieces the Zags already have. I don't think a program should pass on an elite player simply because it already has a loaded roster. If that were the case, UNC would only have to recruit players once every four years. I think the better strategy is to load up on talent and worry about PT issues afterwords.

Drew Gordon was very highly rated out of HS (Archbishop Mitty in San Jose) because he is so mature physically. He was 6'8" as a HS soph and was never a skinny kid. He has had an NBA ready body since he was 16. However, I saw him play both in HS and in the San Francisco Pro Summer League and he has not really developed as a player, especially on offense. But that could be because he was playing out of position. He is very athletic, though, and can really rebound and block shots.

Angelo Caloiaro (USF) and Colin Chiverton (transferred from St. Mary's) were HS teammates. Not sure if he would be interested in USF. San Jose State has a decent program now and they have attracted a lot of good transfers in recent years.

Let's at least keep him in the WCC.

:]

I'm probably out of the loop here but was GU in his top 5 or 10? What gives the idea that he wants to be at GU? I don't think you can ever have to many great players. I think there is much more chance that Harris goes to the league early rather than Rob. BTW watching Gordon in the 76 classic he did not WOW me. However that team is really not very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddwell View Post
    Let's at least keep him in the WCC.

:]
    Are you kidding? The last thing the Zags need is for Portland to get this guy. If he's going to play in the WCC it better be with Gonzaga.

I don't see the need for another post player. Dower is redshirting and will be in the rotation next year were would he fit in? I for one don't see Sacre going pro next year either(not saying it cant happen I just don't see it). Plus from what I have seen he is an excellent athlete who cant hit anything but a dunk or layup and even that is questionable.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldwinzag View Post
    What about Cal? I recall Gordon visiting Berkeley during the recruitment process and they seem to be much improved this year. I suppose any North Cal school is an option for Drew to land...

I predict a school such as Cal or Kentucky for a likely destination.
    Pac10 transfer rules used to be pretty tough on guys moving schools inter-conference. Could bode well for a WCC team, say one an hour away from San Jose with a head coach who might have recruited Gordon to UCLA?
    We lost, we won; either way we had fun. - Eduardo Galeano

Absolutely take him if he's interested.

Wasn't there a thread talking about how Elias would play the 3 in the NBA and thus would need to work on those skills and get playing time at that position?

Default Is he...

a true Zag?? I think that's something to think about here. Is he a good teammate? Is he not just looking for a stepping stone to the NBA?

Default Best fit?

Mitty is in San Jose, Santa Clara University is right next door.

Quote Originally Posted by d2zag View Post
    a true Zag?? I think that's something to think about here. Is he a good teammate? Is he not just looking for a stepping stone to the NBA?
    With all due respect I don't like this way of thinking. Occasionally Gonzaga will recruit a player who has problems beyond the university's control, i.e. Theo Davis. The school has a great program in place both on the court and in the classroom that enables determined athletes to succeed. Obviously some players have serious issues and are red flags for a school like GU, but the majority of athletes will succeed at Gonzaga. Why? Because of the people involved at GU, the location of the school, the curriculum the athletes must fulfill and the coaching staff. It's no fluke that there has only been a few major issue regarding student-athletes, which have been dealt with in the most professional manner possible. Also, I hope all of the Zags want Gonzaga to be a stepping stone for the NBA. I don't think that is a bad thing.