Still Coach Few and Gonzaga haters in the state.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NorthwestsFinest
    Banned
    • Sep 2009

Still Coach Few and Gonzaga haters in the state.

Am I the only one absolutely fed up with WSU and UW fans? I feel like I'm defending this program more than actually enjoying basketball. I am the kind of person who can't let things like this go.

Crap from WSU fans is rediculous. They make fun of the WCC, our failure to get past the Sweet 16, and the fact that we "get an auto bid by playing in the WCC." FIrst off, WSU is barely WCC talent most of the time, so how can they hate on the conference? Secondly, Gonzaga has beat up on the cougs other than a couple years recently..

And UW fans make the same claims which is also stupid, consider Gonzaga's dominance over them, and their failure to do any better in the big dance.

The argument that Gonzaga is only successful because they play in the WCC is busted right there. By saying that, it means Gonzaga is a big boy program in a bad conference.. I guess that's a compliment, right? I guess it's jealousy. I don't know how else to explain it. I hate how they have that Pac 10 arrogance, even though (especially WSU) they usually are in the cellar.

Sorry for my rant, but I hate the fact that they don't respect our program. Anyone else feel this?
  • ZagNative
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Honestly? It doesn't bother me in the least. It just comes along with rivalries, and it really has nothing to do with respect or lack thereof. The taunting is all a game, and I can't take it seriously.

Comment

• zag buddy
      Banned
      • Dec 2007

They can say what they want but it is I who chooses what I think about.

Comment

• MDABE80
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

No Worries. WSU has yet to do much . Tony Rolled. Most of em are decent fans though. I actually like WSU. At least they play us. UW ran like sissies with the head sissy in tow. They got beat 9 of the last 10 when playing GU. Not done much in the post season and only won their first Pac title in 55 years last year. They won because the league was unusually weak. Romar won't play the Zags. GU's been to the Swt 16 or better 5 times in the past 10/11 years. Want more?

Does any of this make you feel better? It should. I think it's pretty safe to say GU is doing pretty well. No worries. I still like WSU. UW is fine too except for their fans Pray the Rosary tonight.....you'll feel better.....
        Last edited by MDABE80; 10-20-2009, 10:50 PM. Reason: typooooooo

Comment

• NorthwestsFinest
          Banned
          • Sep 2009

MDABE, You are right on.. It's so simple, yet their fans are blinded by the facts. They just keep talking. It's just really frustrating to me. I shouldn't let it get to me, But I take pride on being the best in the state, and I know we are certainly that...

Comment

• Nevtelen
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

You can't let it get to you. All you need to say is "Scoreboard!" GU has certainly proven how superior they are to both in-state programs in the last several years.

And if UW fans moan about our conference, all you have to remind them is that 1 program in WA lost to a "lowly" WCC foe last season... and it wasn't GU.

Comment

• NorthwestsFinest
              Banned
              • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Nevtelen View Post
              You can't let it get to you. All you need to say is "Scoreboard!" GU has certainly proven how superior they are to both in-state programs in the last several years.

And if UW fans moan about our conference, all you have to remind them is that 1 program in WA lost to a "lowly" WCC foe last season... and it wasn't GU.
              Absolutely. But then they bring up Adam Morrison being a bust, and ROy and Robinson's success.. It's rather pathetic, but they are too thick skulled to understand how wrong they are.

Comment

• BroncoZAG615
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Watching Washington lose to Purdue in last season's NCAA Tournament was nearly as sweet as seeing Gonzaga advance through the regional. The cockiness affiliated with that program astounds me every day. Jake Locker will bust in the NFL and everything will be perfect in the world again

Comment

• CDC84
                  Super Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

I wonder how many of those Coug flamers were responsible for the 2500+ empty seats - on average - at WSU home games last season? They couldn't even sell it out for the Gonzaga game when GU was #4 in the country.

You can't reason with these UW and WSU flamers, so I stay off their boards and just ignore them. Meanwhile, we have good visiting posters here like the Dawgfather from UW who are worth reading for their insight.

Comment

• Ezag
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

UW and WSU

Comment

• Coug Tracks
                      Kennel Club
                      • Dec 2007

Y'all are a bit bored but I'll bite as a Cougar. Flames are a sign of respect if you ask me. Adam Morrison is a bust just like Ryan Leaf and if you want to go way back then Jack Thompson. Who cares. They were phenominal college players.

The WCC is not as competitive as the Pac 10 and GU pretty much does have an automatic NCAA bid because they are so much more talented than everyone else in the WCC. That obviously is not on GU and again, who cares.

I think WSU would do pretty well in the WCC but that's a debate I don't want to get into yet again. Yes, GU would do well in the Pac 10 if that makes you feel better. Pac 10 arrogance? I think GU has a bit of Zag arrogance don't you?

By the way CDC, those 2500 empty seats still means there were a couple thousand more butts-in-seats than at any GU home game not played in the wonderful Spokane Coliseum. Just sayin...

It's just banter between fans. The vast majority of WSU fans root for GU and like to see them do well. What's happened is many of GUs fans have become pretty arrogant over the years. It comes with the territory and so do the digs. If you feel good about your program I am not sure why it bothers you so.

Comment

• CB4
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2009

Who cares? Why do we need the respect or recognition as a "good program" from in state rival schools. Our record against UW and WSU speaks volumes. There is absolutely no need to defend Gonzaga, doing so is simply counterproductive.

"(insert BCS conference) arrogance" exists because schools from those conferences are typically the best in all sports, and schools at the lower end (like WSU) of these conferences envy the fact that GU can make it into the tournament having a pretty mediocre season through their automatic birth.

Comment

• ZagsGoZags
                          Zag for Life
                          • Nov 2007

Coug Tracks Welcome
                          I enjoyed your post and hope you will join in more. I am sure we come off arrogant and prideful at times, esp in the case of UW. One disagreement I might have with you is about numbers of fans. And I'll admit Spokane is a much bigger population than Pullman for fan base, although WSU dwarfs GU in student body. If GU's home court had the same seats WSU has, there is no doubt in my mind we would fill more seats. The struggle to see the Zags in spokane is legendary. I have jumped at every chance, and I have seen all the pre season scrimmages (which are not games) and 6 games in the last 7 years, and that means trips to Seattle, and Arena constantly. The season tickets have a waiting list so long I'll be dead when my name comes up.

We are true, die hard fanatics, partly because the Zags put Spokane on the map in the nation regularly. It is phenomenal, you have to admit.

Comment

• dawgfather11
                            Banned
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by NorthwestsFinest View Post
                            Am I the only one absolutely fed up with WSU and UW fans? I feel like I'm defending this program more than actually enjoying basketball. I am the kind of person who can't let things like this go.

Crap from WSU fans is rediculous. They make fun of the WCC, our failure to get past the Sweet 16, and the fact that we "get an auto bid by playing in the WCC." FIrst off, WSU is barely WCC talent most of the time, so how can they hate on the conference? Secondly, Gonzaga has beat up on the cougs other than a couple years recently..

And UW fans make the same claims which is also stupid, consider Gonzaga's dominance over them, and their failure to do any better in the big dance.

The argument that Gonzaga is only successful because they play in the WCC is busted right there. By saying that, it means Gonzaga is a big boy program in a bad conference.. I guess that's a compliment, right? I guess it's jealousy. I don't know how else to explain it. I hate how they have that Pac 10 arrogance, even though (especially WSU) they usually are in the cellar.

Sorry for my rant, but I hate the fact that they don't respect our program. Anyone else feel this?
                            why would you be fed up with it? It's good natured banter back and forth with other basketball fans. Does it really bother you all that much that you do play in a crap conference and get an auto bid every year because of it? That's just the facts man. Not that you wouldn't make it in the pac-10 but atleast you guy's would be challenged over a real conference schedule, frankly i'd love to see GU replace WSU in the pac-10 for basketball, the cougars are pathetic and hopefully will be gone from the pac-10 soon because they can't afford it. Gonzaga is a good team and a good school noone is disrespecting that, it's simple all fans like to talk up their school/team bigger than they actually are, you guy's do it just read the threads on this boards, same goes for UW fans or WSU fans etc.. everyone does it so why get so worked up over it?

Fwiw i'm not jealous of GU or anything to do with their program

Comment

" You can not be serious" ...

Get new friends...my friends from WSU are great supporters of GU Basketball.. my friends from UW never mention College Basketball and I am too polite to bring it up...it is the Elephant in the Room !!! They are embarrassed....

Comment

Working...
                              X