Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still Coach Few and Gonzaga haters in the state.

Default Still Coach Few and Gonzaga haters in the state.

Am I the only one absolutely fed up with WSU and UW fans? I feel like I'm defending this program more than actually enjoying basketball. I am the kind of person who can't let things like this go.

Crap from WSU fans is rediculous. They make fun of the WCC, our failure to get past the Sweet 16, and the fact that we "get an auto bid by playing in the WCC." FIrst off, WSU is barely WCC talent most of the time, so how can they hate on the conference? Secondly, Gonzaga has beat up on the cougs other than a couple years recently..

And UW fans make the same claims which is also stupid, consider Gonzaga's dominance over them, and their failure to do any better in the big dance.

The argument that Gonzaga is only successful because they play in the WCC is busted right there. By saying that, it means Gonzaga is a big boy program in a bad conference.. I guess that's a compliment, right? I guess it's jealousy. I don't know how else to explain it. I hate how they have that Pac 10 arrogance, even though (especially WSU) they usually are in the cellar.

Sorry for my rant, but I hate the fact that they don't respect our program. Anyone else feel this?

Honestly? It doesn't bother me in the least. It just comes along with rivalries, and it really has nothing to do with respect or lack thereof. The taunting is all a game, and I can't take it seriously.

They can say what they want but it is I who chooses what I think about.
    The hallmark of a second class person is the resentment of another's success-R.W. Emerson
    Whatever you focus your mind on grows, grow a rose garden and not a weed patch-Dr Paul

No Worries. WSU has yet to do much . Tony Rolled. Most of em are decent fans though. I actually like WSU. At least they play us. UW ran like sissies with the head sissy in tow. They got beat 9 of the last 10 when playing GU. Not done much in the post season and only won their first Pac title in 55 years last year. They won because the league was unusually weak. Romar won't play the Zags. GU's been to the Swt 16 or better 5 times in the past 10/11 years. Want more?

Does any of this make you feel better? It should. I think it's pretty safe to say GU is doing pretty well. No worries. I still like WSU. UW is fine too except for their fans Pray the Rosary tonight.....you'll feel better.....
    Last edited by MDABE80; 10-20-2009 at 11:50 PM. Reason: typooooooo

MDABE, You are right on.. It's so simple, yet their fans are blinded by the facts. They just keep talking. It's just really frustrating to me. I shouldn't let it get to me, But I take pride on being the best in the state, and I know we are certainly that...

You can't let it get to you. All you need to say is "Scoreboard!" GU has certainly proven how superior they are to both in-state programs in the last several years.

And if UW fans moan about our conference, all you have to remind them is that 1 program in WA lost to a "lowly" WCC foe last season... and it wasn't GU.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevtelen View Post
    You can't let it get to you. All you need to say is "Scoreboard!" GU has certainly proven how superior they are to both in-state programs in the last several years.

And if UW fans moan about our conference, all you have to remind them is that 1 program in WA lost to a "lowly" WCC foe last season... and it wasn't GU.
    Absolutely. But then they bring up Adam Morrison being a bust, and ROy and Robinson's success.. It's rather pathetic, but they are too thick skulled to understand how wrong they are.

Watching Washington lose to Purdue in last season's NCAA Tournament was nearly as sweet as seeing Gonzaga advance through the regional. The cockiness affiliated with that program astounds me every day. Jake Locker will bust in the NFL and everything will be perfect in the world again

I wonder how many of those Coug flamers were responsible for the 2500+ empty seats - on average - at WSU home games last season? They couldn't even sell it out for the Gonzaga game when GU was #4 in the country.

You can't reason with these UW and WSU flamers, so I stay off their boards and just ignore them. Meanwhile, we have good visiting posters here like the Dawgfather from UW who are worth reading for their insight.

UW and WSU

Y'all are a bit bored but I'll bite as a Cougar. Flames are a sign of respect if you ask me. Adam Morrison is a bust just like Ryan Leaf and if you want to go way back then Jack Thompson. Who cares. They were phenominal college players.

The WCC is not as competitive as the Pac 10 and GU pretty much does have an automatic NCAA bid because they are so much more talented than everyone else in the WCC. That obviously is not on GU and again, who cares.

I think WSU would do pretty well in the WCC but that's a debate I don't want to get into yet again. Yes, GU would do well in the Pac 10 if that makes you feel better. Pac 10 arrogance? I think GU has a bit of Zag arrogance don't you?

By the way CDC, those 2500 empty seats still means there were a couple thousand more butts-in-seats than at any GU home game not played in the wonderful Spokane Coliseum. Just sayin...

It's just banter between fans. The vast majority of WSU fans root for GU and like to see them do well. What's happened is many of GUs fans have become pretty arrogant over the years. It comes with the territory and so do the digs. If you feel good about your program I am not sure why it bothers you so.

Who cares? Why do we need the respect or recognition as a "good program" from in state rival schools. Our record against UW and WSU speaks volumes. There is absolutely no need to defend Gonzaga, doing so is simply counterproductive.

"(insert BCS conference) arrogance" exists because schools from those conferences are typically the best in all sports, and schools at the lower end (like WSU) of these conferences envy the fact that GU can make it into the tournament having a pretty mediocre season through their automatic birth.

Coug Tracks Welcome
    I enjoyed your post and hope you will join in more. I am sure we come off arrogant and prideful at times, esp in the case of UW. One disagreement I might have with you is about numbers of fans. And I'll admit Spokane is a much bigger population than Pullman for fan base, although WSU dwarfs GU in student body. If GU's home court had the same seats WSU has, there is no doubt in my mind we would fill more seats. The struggle to see the Zags in spokane is legendary. I have jumped at every chance, and I have seen all the pre season scrimmages (which are not games) and 6 games in the last 7 years, and that means trips to Seattle, and Arena constantly. The season tickets have a waiting list so long I'll be dead when my name comes up.

We are true, die hard fanatics, partly because the Zags put Spokane on the map in the nation regularly. It is phenomenal, you have to admit.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestsFinest View Post
    Am I the only one absolutely fed up with WSU and UW fans? I feel like I'm defending this program more than actually enjoying basketball. I am the kind of person who can't let things like this go.

Crap from WSU fans is rediculous. They make fun of the WCC, our failure to get past the Sweet 16, and the fact that we "get an auto bid by playing in the WCC." FIrst off, WSU is barely WCC talent most of the time, so how can they hate on the conference? Secondly, Gonzaga has beat up on the cougs other than a couple years recently..

And UW fans make the same claims which is also stupid, consider Gonzaga's dominance over them, and their failure to do any better in the big dance.

The argument that Gonzaga is only successful because they play in the WCC is busted right there. By saying that, it means Gonzaga is a big boy program in a bad conference.. I guess that's a compliment, right? I guess it's jealousy. I don't know how else to explain it. I hate how they have that Pac 10 arrogance, even though (especially WSU) they usually are in the cellar.

Sorry for my rant, but I hate the fact that they don't respect our program. Anyone else feel this?
    why would you be fed up with it? It's good natured banter back and forth with other basketball fans. Does it really bother you all that much that you do play in a crap conference and get an auto bid every year because of it? That's just the facts man. Not that you wouldn't make it in the pac-10 but atleast you guy's would be challenged over a real conference schedule, frankly i'd love to see GU replace WSU in the pac-10 for basketball, the cougars are pathetic and hopefully will be gone from the pac-10 soon because they can't afford it. Gonzaga is a good team and a good school noone is disrespecting that, it's simple all fans like to talk up their school/team bigger than they actually are, you guy's do it just read the threads on this boards, same goes for UW fans or WSU fans etc.. everyone does it so why get so worked up over it?

Fwiw i'm not jealous of GU or anything to do with their program

bartruff1 Guest

Red face " You can not be serious" ...

Get new friends...my friends from WSU are great supporters of GU Basketball.. my friends from UW never mention College Basketball and I am too polite to bring it up...it is the Elephant in the Room !!! They are embarrassed....

I'd like to think Gonzaga has gotten the WCC to get better as well.. With the recent success of St. Mary's and Portland, (SMC beating WSU in the postseason, Portland beating UW in the preseason) I'd like to think Pac10 people are respecting the WCC a little more.

I'd look them straight in the eye and simply let them know that they have my pity... jealousy combined with stupidity must be a terrible burden to bear... I'd then wish them well and let them know that I will pray for them and hope the get through this terrible time.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

bartruff1 Guest

Grant them that Ammo is a bust....the WCC is no match for the Pac Ten...that Roy is a all star.....don't knock their programs or fans...to win, all you have to do is point out the facts.. Few's record against them...slam dunk.... winning that argument is eaiser than clubbing seals...
    Last edited by bartruff1; 10-21-2009 at 10:49 AM.

If they won't listen to logic, why waste logic on them?

For years the scottie dog next dog wouldn't let me do a thing in my own back yard with out continually barking at me. When he no longer was out barking at me I had to go next door and ask the nice lady what had happened to my favorite critic and then offer condolences.

Last spring in Portland the UW fans were very civil to us Zags. Much more civil than Stanford fans were a few years back in Key Arena!

Other fans will only bother you if you let them do so.
    "thnk god for few" jazzdelmar(12/12/11 12:50pm)
    "When most of us couldn't buy a basket. Where do we get off anyway?!" siliconzag (11/17/06 5:45:41 pm)
    I am monitoring the price of a donut

Quote Originally Posted by Coug Tracks View Post
    Y'all are a bit bored but I'll bite as a Cougar. Flames are a sign of respect if you ask me. Adam Morrison is a bust just like Ryan Leaf and if you want to go way back then Jack Thompson. Who cares. They were phenominal college players.
    I think WSU would do pretty well in the WCC but that's a debate I don't want to get into yet again. Yes, GU would do well in the Pac 10 if that makes you feel better. Pac 10 arrogance? I think GU has a bit of Zag arrogance don't you?
    First of all, Ammo is still fighting out there, so "bust" is a bit premature. Secondly, their weren't many who were as big of a bust as Ryan Leaf! And lastly, I enjoyed the rest of your post, especially about our Zag arrogance--that was spot on, and I'm o.k. with that!
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

Thanks for helping me vent, guys. And Yes, Morrison shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as Ryan Leaf, who is arguably the biggest bust of all time, in any sport.

By the way CDC, those 2500 empty seats still means there were a couple thousand more butts-in-seats than at any GU home game not played in the wonderful Spokane Coliseum. Just sayin...
    You are talking about the days when Gonzaga didn't even have a program. Besides, WSU has 5x as many students as Gonzaga. They probably had more than 5x as many students back in the Coliseum days.

The WCC is not as competitive as the Pac 10 and GU pretty much does have an automatic NCAA bid because they are so much more talented than everyone else in the WCC. That obviously is not on GU and again, who cares.
    It's not as simple as that. First off, Gonzaga this past decade didn't always have vastly superior talent to the rest of the WCC. Those older GU teams would often have to win 3 games in 3 days on someone else's home floor to get into the dance, even if they won the regular season league title. It was all or nothing.

Secondly, for the past several years, Gonzaga hasn't needed the WCC tourney to get into the NCAA tournament. That's because of their success during non-league play against what is always an insanely challenging non-league schedule.

The Zags have had to endure non-league skeds this decade - the 2006/07 sked for instance - that I will argue to my grave were more challenging than what any teams endure during Pac 10 play. The Zags have had seasons where they've played one NCAA tournament team after the next during non-league play and did so almost exclusively on the road and on semi-neutral courts. Sometimes the schedules have involved 3-4 trips back east and a trip to Maui, in addition to playing 5 games in 10 days and all sorts of crazy stuff. They haven’t had the advantage of being able to play UCLA and Arizona at home.

The other thing that GU has endure every year that many fail to notice is that their inverted schedule forces their new players to play against the best teams right away. The Zags don't get a chance to sit at home and play 6 or 7 directional schools in order to get the newbies experience and allow the team to come together. This year’s team should really be sitting at home due to the fact that the roster consists mainly of newbies, but no, they have to go to Michigan State and play in Maui against a bunch of BCS teams. I’m not griping about this, because the Zags have to do this if they want to get an at large bid and a decent seed in March.

The problem that I see with some of the WSU and UW people is that they spend too much time focusing on the WCC, and way, way underestimate what Gonzaga has to endure in its non-league schedule. It’s not just the level of competition GU faces, but the pace of the games, where they are located and how much they have to travel.

I don't really measure the success of this program anymore based on their ability to get an auto bid. You won't see me ever bragging about how many consecutive NCAA tournaments the Zags have made. The auto bid is not enough for GU, because if Gonzaga doesn't play the non-league sked that it does, they get stuck playing their first round game back east as a 13 seed or something. If I had to endure that every season as a fan, I would rather skip out on a few tournaments in order to get the favorable seeding that BCS teams get when they have really good teams.

Being a GU basketball fan and a Pittsburgh Steeler fan you get used to the verbal and written abuse from wannabes.

You should welcome it with open arms, because when they stop barking at you is when the problem starts, because it means you're not relevant any more.

They are fans of their teams. I would not expect them to do anything but support their teams. I find it kind of fun to remind UW fans of losing to Valpo in the CBI after whining they deserve to be in the NIT in a year they started in the 25. WSU fans for me have always been supportive of GU when we are not playing, and I don't remember any of their fans coming in and saying anything terrible here. If fact, I don't remember UW fans being anything but fans of their program. Something to be expected. They say the being in WCC means an Auto bid, but it also means GU has to work harder at recruiting and on who they play outside of conference. So, it means they don't have the luxury of having cupcakes early to build confidence and work on building team, they have to be ready from the get go. 20 wins or even 19 wins mean a bid for UW and WSU, not so with GU. I remember a few years back that GU had over twenty wins including a win our #2 UNC and going into the last couple of weeks they and UW were listed as bubble teams. Gu came through and won the games they needed to, and UW colapsed.

----
    Visit www.life-and-faith.org

You have to expect hate and bile to come out of someone who has the unfortunate lot of being a cougar fan. If I had to spend four days, let alone four years in Pullman, I would be angry for the rest of my life as well. This anger only increases for the cougar during football season when last year they SET THE RECORD for most points allowed by a BCS conference team in a season. Quite an achievement. And this year, if it weren't for lowly SMU who they needed overtime to beat, the would have a winless season. And rest assured with the departure of Bennett, their short run of relevance in basketball is over as well. And thats not even mentioning the fact that they got their degree from the most inferior institution in the state. The life of a cougar is a difficult lot indeed. So next time you hear a cougar talking smack about GU, recognized the jealousy, feel pity for them, and with a smirk give 'em a sarcastic "go cougs".