Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gonzaga vs UW at the Key - Does beating UW automatically mean an RPI Boost for GU?

Default Gonzaga vs UW at the Key - Does beating UW automatically mean an RPI Boost for GU?

Hi everyone,

I was listening to Elise at night on KJR and she was talking about this potential proposal between UW and GU at the Key and mentioned that the game would be later on in the season. She also mentioned that Gonzaga needs this game more than UW since a possible victory over UW would mean a boost to GU's RPI and really nothing to UW since they already play an already very challenging schedule in the pac-ten ?

What does everyone think about that?

Also, she mentioned that UW didn't need to journey accross the mountains to Spokane because it would be a disadvantage to them since they were playing in the pac ten (the game would be scheduled in February) and supposedly they might get tired from the travel which could hurt them in future pac-ten games. Gonzaga is in full swing in their WCC season, which in her eyes is a cupcake conference to play in. Also, she mentioned GU has a hard time scheduling teams in bigger conferences willing to play later in the season as opposed to the beginning so in fact UW is doing GU a favor by scheduling this.

I wanted to get everyone's thought on those comments?

Thanks.

Default My thoughts?

She is a uw alum, the current sideline reporter for uw football, and she works at uw's flagship radio station.

Her job is to play along with this pr stunt, just like softy did when he got the "scoop" yesterday, just like Groz and gas did when they "debated" the issue yesterday. Take everything she says in this light: she is part of the uw public relations apparatus. She is not objective. And what she is saying is not even necessarily what she thinks. Her job is to promote uw. That is all she is doing.

Again angelo is right: this is a uw pr stunt right out of "wag the dog". Don't leg the dawgs wag you.

I miss Mike Hart

Foo material again?
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

perhaps UW could stop in and play us at the spokane arena when they come to play WSU in Pullman. we could arrange to be playing Portland that same week. That would help the poor Huskies. I wouldn't have thought travelling long distances over mountains during the winter would be so diffucult for Huskies.

Default Withers explores the stunt

Got in a fender-bender the other day. The other guy and I agreed that we were equally at fault.

So he agreed to pay for my headlight. And I consented to covering his fender, hood, moulding, wheel, striping and paint.

Sound equitable? That's pretty much the deal that Washington just floated past Gonzaga in a misbegotten attempt to revive the moribund basketball series just about everybody in our state wants to see.

Everything about the proposal, from the public nature of it to the offer itself, reeks of such staggering chutzpah, the purple paint at Hec Ed must have peeled.
    At any rate, the proposal has roughly the same chance of flying as New Jersey Tech does of cutting down the nets in Indianapolis on a Monday night next April. Washington knows this, too.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm..._uwzags23.html
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Quote Originally Posted by 229SintoZag View Post
    She is a uw alum, the current sideline reporter for uw football, and she works at uw's flagship radio station.

Her job is to play along with this pr stunt, just like softy did when he got the "scoop" yesterday, just like Groz and gas did when they "debated" the issue yesterday. Take everything she says in this light: she is part of the uw public relations apparatus. She is not objective. And what she is saying is not even necessarily what she thinks. Her job is to promote uw. That is all she is doing.
    You forgot to mention that she is a former UW basketball player....

I had the following conversation with Elise before the game when Portland played at UW two years ago:

EW: You're going be rooting for the Huskies, aren't you?
    AR: Not much chance of that, I'm a WCC guy.
    EW: Oh, come on.
    AR: Let me put it this way, if Stanford was playing Gonzaga who would you be pulling for?
    EW: Gotta root for the Pac-10.
    AR: Then add in the fact that Portland beating UW will ultimately help Gonzaga's RPI.
    EW: But this is different, I'm talkin' 'bout the Huskies!

As a wise person once observed, the best part of beating your head against a brick wall is that you feel better when you stop.
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Quote Originally Posted by BobZag View Post

Foo material again?
    Leave us out of it....give it to the OCC.
    Speak softly, but carry a big Foo stick.

I gotta fever, and the only prescription is more COWBELL!!!!

Default Fusky arrogance

never ceases to amaze me. Maybe they can get a yearly game with influenza at the Key.........Oh wait, they can't beat the flu either.

Sorry, that was too easy, just like annual Fusky bashing. Seriously, who is going to rebound for those guys this year, once again they are so overrated in the preseason.

Can't wait for the Coach Krause Basketball Tip-off Dinner on November 5th in Tacoma, that annual event is the start of the season for me.

Go ZAGS

If I hear the lame-ass claim that "X school needs this game more than Y school" one more time I will puke. Seriously. It's the most cynical crap I can imagine. For once in this god forsaken world can folks just suit up and play because it's the right thing to do? Both these programs make plenty of money, have great facilities and get their share of high profile games and recruits. They aren't hurting and so it is pathetic that rather than acknowledge this is a rivalry that showcases the best hoops this state and rewards fans of both schools, we get still more posturing from both schools and their apologists. Yes, the UW's offer is disingenuous. Yes, Romar is a petty jackass. But part of me hopes GU just mans up, takes the game and kicks UW's ass each and every time they play at Key Arena. That's coming from a Seattleite who went to UW and will be cheering the Huskies on against Oregon come Saturday. Yessir.
    “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

Wouldn't it be awesome if the Pilots went up to Hec Ed and beat them?

Every argument UW has would collapse under them like a deck of stacked cards. Of course those silly Husky fans were never that good at looking up at the scoreboard. They will keep plugging away with lame arguments anyway.

C'mon Pilots. Humble them again please. You need a signature OOC win. I know you can do it.
    I miss Mike Hart

Nothing but a Husky basketball thread can bring me back to post instead of just lurk (educate myself)
    FuMan's heart is good. Wouldn't that bad deal with three wins in Seattle put rich, bald, overweight husky alums in a bad mood and wonder who's idea was this. Love the fight. But. The gut says bad deal, don't do it. Stand up to them and say no.. Home and Home. Only way to do it. Gonzaga does not need this game, but it should happen for the fans of Washington State. Blame it all on Washington. They opted out, now they want in with terms only a credit card company could ask. This thread helps me. I found myself almost rooting for uw in football on occasions. No more. Back to reality. Go Ducks on Saturday. (That was even hard to type, dislike Oregon almost as much.) Just tired of uw basketball Tom Foolery.

Default I've never, ever liked Art Thiel

but today, the P I columnist was on the radio (Kevin Calabro show). Art had this to say:

Gonzaga has earned the right to say "No Way Purple Clowns" "I am King here"

He also said "Washington needs the game far more than Gonzaga does, for many reasons".

He said UW AD Scott Woodward was flat out tired of getting "dropping Gonzaga" thrown into his face from influential alumni who've been ashamed of UDub for ending the series.

He did say it was a shrewd PR move from Woodward -- who's from the SEC and is used to being the big boy on the block and getting his way.

Well, he's not going to get his way here.

I can't wait for Andy Katz to weigh in.

“To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
    ——-
    Some cherry picked stats

Most NCAA TOURNAMENT wins since 2015
    Gonzaga 20, Nova 17, UNC 16, Duke 15, Kentucky 13, Michigan 13, Virginia 11, Baylor 9
    -----
    Most FINAL FOUR wins since 2017
    UNC 2, Nova 2, Virginia 2, Baylor 2, Gonzaga 2, Michigan 1, TexasTech 1, Kentucky 0, Duke 0, Kansas 0

Drew Guest

Ughhh. . . . basically debated the subject all day with a Husky friend on facebook. By the end of the day, he gave several hints that he knew the deal wasn't fair, and, at the end of the day, we decided its best we discuss something else.

To answer the OP and Elise, it would only hurt GU if they couldn't schedule another opponent during the season that is "Husky" caliber, which I think they could do pretty easily. I think part of the issue is the UW has a much higher and inflated sense of the quality of program that they currently are. Not saying that they are a bad program, nor at a certain high level, but I think GU could schedule a number of schools of equal "caliber" compared to GU...and could schedule that as a home and home.

To be clear, I married into a Husky family, so there's no hate here, but I think the football program struggled for a few years with trying to reconcile the perceived status amongst fans compared to their real status, especially when they felt they could pick and choose whichever coach they wanted. I would hazard to guess if you asked most national observers which program is more nationally prominent, it would be GU over UW in basketball. I think most Huskies though feel it is the reverse. Just my humble opinion....

WOW...how could the usual Husky fan remotely dream that UW is more prominent that GU in basketball. Just doesn't make sense. It's like "willing" it to happen....and then believing it actually happened. lol.

If we don't get HOME and HOME, deep six the idea and move on with life. Nobody would think GU should roll over for this PR stunts usually aren't one sided. Someobody needs to make an even up offer. Then we'd get to beat the crap out of those homies.

I just hugged my monitor.
    I wear a helmet while internetting.

Quote Originally Posted by FuManShoes View Post
    If I hear the lame-ass claim that "X school needs this game more than Y school" one more time I will puke. Seriously. It's the most cynical crap I can imagine. For once in this god forsaken world can folks just suit up and play because it's the right thing to do? Both these programs make plenty of money, have great facilities and get their share of high profile games and recruits. They aren't hurting and so it is pathetic that rather than acknowledge this is a rivalry that showcases the best hoops this state and rewards fans of both schools, we get still more posturing from both schools and their apologists. Yes, the UW's offer is disingenuous. Yes, Romar is a petty jackass. But part of me hopes GU just mans up, takes the game and kicks UW's ass each and every time they play at Key Arena. That's coming from a Seattleite who went to UW and will be cheering the Huskies on against Oregon come Saturday. Yessir.
    I think you should keep the "man up" for suggestions to huskies
    "thnk god for few" jazzdelmar(12/12/11 12:50pm)
    "When most of us couldn't buy a basket. Where do we get off anyway?!" siliconzag (11/17/06 5:45:41 pm)
    I am monitoring the price of a donut

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post

I can't wait for Andy Katz to weigh in.
    That's one of the first things I thought of.

Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post
    Wouldn't it be awesome if the Pilots went up to Hec Ed and beat them?

Every argument UW has would collapse under them like a deck of stacked cards. Of course those silly Husky fans were never that good at looking up at the scoreboard. They will keep plugging away with lame arguments anyway.

C'mon Pilots. Humble them again please. You need a signature OOC win. I know you can do it.
    We will certainly do our best to get not only this signature OOC win, but others as well (Pac-10 Sweep vs Oregon, Washington and UCLA?!).

I'd love to see us beat UW again but this will be a different game than last year when we were at home and it was Thomas' first college game. But just because it is a different game doesn't mean we have less of a chance. Sure, the game is @ UW but they lost Brockman and we lost... nobody. I like our chances!

My disdain for the Huskies is influenced by the fact that WSU is my Pac-10 team of choice.

Alise can say whatever she wants...very few are listening at that time of day anyway. But Mitch had this to say just now:

"It makes Washington's athletic department look like chicken crap"

His words, not Uber's. Where's Lothar's chicken picture when you need it?
    If you can't handle the confusion, stay out of the Foo!

Uber on GuBoards: "Pathetic. We've got posters just sleepwalking through threads."

No Foo for You!

Quote Originally Posted by Angelo Roncalli View Post
    You forgot to mention that she is a former UW basketball player....

I had the following conversation with Elise before the game when Portland played at UW two years ago:

EW: You're going be rooting for the Huskies, aren't you?
    AR: Not much chance of that, I'm a WCC guy.
    EW: Oh, come on.
    AR: Let me put it this way, if Stanford was playing Gonzaga who would you be pulling for?
    EW: Gotta root for the Pac-10.
    AR: Then add in the fact that Portland beating UW will ultimately help Gonzaga's RPI.
    EW: But this is different, I'm talkin' 'bout the Huskies!

As a wise person once observed, the best part of beating your head against a brick wall is that you feel better when you stop.
    This raises a more disturbing question: what were you doing talking with Elise before the game anyway Pontiff?

Quote Originally Posted by Rangerzag View Post
    I think you should keep the "man up" for suggestions to huskies
    They aren't going to man up, so I urge GU to be the bigger dog. Besides, I live in Seattle so I selfishly want to see the game played at Key, Hec Ed, wherever. My new proposal: if UW wants to really make a "fair and equitable" proposal they would offer to split the revenue 45% UW /55% GU to cover GU's travel expenses.
    “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

Default The simple answer is yes.

So the honest and simple answer is that if we schedule UW and beat them....it will raise our RPI. But what does that really mean.....absolutely nothing. The RPI is completely useless. Some would argue that the RPI is used to help determine bubble team selections on Selection Sunday, but anyone who saw a good SMC team passed up last year for mediocre BCS teams knows that the RPI is nothing more than a way to screw over "mid-major" programs in favor of the big boys. No matter what though, GU will be fine with or without UW. Though I would love to see the series renewed b/c I love an opportunity to watch GU beat on the Huskies!

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan1 View Post
    Hi everyone,

I was listening to Elise at night on KJR and she was talking about this potential proposal between UW and GU at the Key and mentioned that the game would be later on in the season. She also mentioned that Gonzaga needs this game more than UW since a possible victory over UW would mean a boost to GU's RPI and really nothing to UW since they already play an already very challenging schedule in the pac-ten ?

What does everyone think about that?

Also, she mentioned that UW didn't need to journey accross the mountains to Spokane because it would be a disadvantage to them since they were playing in the pac ten (the game would be scheduled in February) and supposedly they might get tired from the travel which could hurt them in future pac-ten games. Gonzaga is in full swing in their WCC season, which in her eyes is a cupcake conference to play in. Also, she mentioned GU has a hard time scheduling teams in bigger conferences willing to play later in the season as opposed to the beginning so in fact UW is doing GU a favor by scheduling this.

I wanted to get everyone's thought on those comments?

Thanks.

The Foo is now tainted.

Get out the Lysol

I reject your reality and substitute my own.