Thread: Felix Hernandez?

Default Felix Hernandez?

Does anyone think he could win the cy young? It seems to me that the national media has basically given it Greinke already. This sucks because I think Felix is deserving of at least being in the conversation. Lets face it Greinke has one more start and since he plays for the Royals any start is a potential loss. We could have a cy young winner who is 16-9.

How much weight should record have on the Cy Young? I would argue that wins are not a great indicator of how well someone has pitched. Wins are dependent on having a good team around you. Your team has to score enough runs to score. Tim Wakefield made the all star team based on the fact that he led the league in wins at the time even though his other statistics were horrible. He was just 'lucky' enough to have a lot of runs scored on days that he pitched. Also you have to have a good enough bullpen that if you don't complete every game, which is the case for Felix and Greinke, they don't blow the win for you.

With that said, I think that Greinke is the best pitcher in the American League this year. Felix has had an amazing season and would have won it most years, but Greinke is having a historic season.

Not sure how much win loss record should play into winning the Cy Young. Just off memory I am pretty sure most Cy Young winners are closer to 20 wins. With the exceptions being Eckersley, Cone, Webb, Maddux, Gagne. Obviously Eck and Gagne are closers so their win loss record doesn't matter. Maddux had like 1.50 era in the strike shortened season. Cone would have had more wins if it wasn't for the baseball strike as well. So Webb is the only starting pitcher ever to win a Cy Young with only 16 wins in a full season. So if Greinke doesn't win his last game does Felix enter the conversation for winning the Cy Young. Obviously Greinke's stats are better than Felix. I just want to see Felix get some recognition for having such a great season.

I'm with gu03alum. Felix has been monumental... truly amazing. His outing last night, where he got through 7 2/3 with much less than his best stuff showed a lot (it also helped that Mark Lowe didn't allow any of the three batters he inherited from Felix score).

However, Greinke has been even better. With a bad defense around him, with a bad offense around him, he has pitched to much better numbers than Felix... remember, Felix has the best defense in baseball behind him... Gutiérrez, Béltre, Ichiro & co. have saved Felix a lot of runs this year.