Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Bulldog or Jack and Dan's?

Default The Bulldog or Jack and Dan's?

I preferred the Bulldog over Joey's -- but now I've got to give the nod to Jack and Dan's. Thoughts?

Well, I've never been 86'd from Jack & Dan's so it gets my vote. . .

I like Jack & Dan's except for on game days. On game days it is nearly impossible to get a drink. I like the Bulldog on game days. It is a great place to prefunk before the game starts.

I was always a Bulldog guy. Liked the burgers and found it more open. If J&Ds was as big then as it is now, I may have had a differing opinion. But I am not one for crowded bars, so when J&Ds was busy I went to the Bulldog and vice versa.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

While one of my classes met at J&D's when it came to have fun, we went to the 'dog.

They poured a killer Murphy's/Moose Drool black&tan.
    History has its eyes on you.

Sage of the GU Message Board

Then: The Bulldog

Now: I recently visited Spokane and Jack and Dan's has really upped their game. A very nice place.

Well...I've been thrown out of both.

First bar I ever entered was Joey's (J&D's) when I was 13 with a bunch of my fellow St. Francis of Assisi fightin' football Knights. Linebarger, who was the coach at St. Al's (whom we had beat at G-Prep earlier that day) and a bartender at Joeys, rounded us up and gave us the bum's rush.

Jeri threw me out of the Bulldog at least a half a dozen times during my soph, jr. and sr. years at GU. She threw me out on my 21st birthday--my buddies told her it was my birthday and asked her to give me a free beer. She responded: "you mean that little SOB's been coming in her the past two years without being 21?" 86'ed on the spot. I also got 86'ed the night Snake and I put about 4 bucks in quarters in the juke box and played "Elvira" over and over and over....

The .60 cent well drinks at the Chef (now, Star) had some allure...

All in all, though, I think I have to vote for J&D's...
    Last edited by Angelo Roncalli; 09-21-2009 at 06:40 AM.
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

I just brought a new co-worker to Jack and Dan's for lunch yesterday and he really enjoyed it. We had some of the little zaggers which are quickly becoming a favorite of mine.

I showed him the article on the wall that ranks J&D's in the top 10 for sports bars. He had been to another on the list in Kansas and he said that J&D's was way better.

Raise your "sign" if you ever had a run in with Jeri at the Bulldog. . .

Basketball Web Sites Listing

"The most interesting place exists between how people see themselves and how other people do." -- Wright Thompson

Jeri was before my time. Never been tossed out of a bar for having too good a time. I accidentally wandered in to the Chef (the second time) when I didn't... um... have proof of... age... and was asked to leave.
    As a matter of tradition I always stop in at the Bulldog for a pint as soon as I hit town (no, seriously, it's my first stop) and try to find out who's working that weekend so I can say hi. I know a couple of the new bartenders by name now, too, even though I only make it back to Spotown a couple times a year.
    Jack and Dan's was not my kind of place... now they've expanded and I think it's lost some of the charm I did actually appreciate.

To sum up: Bulldog
    I wear a helmet while internetting.

Jack and Dan's was not my kind of place... now they've expanded and I think it's lost some of the charm I did actually appreciate.

To sum up: Bulldog
    very well put, agreed.

Default I.D.

Back in the day, Jack & Dans was a small place located next to University Drug and was, as I recall, pretty strict on requiring fancy ID - the kind that did not look like you created it on the copier in the basement of the AD building.

The Bulldog was not so picky, so it got my business. I started at GU as a freshman at age 17 and after the first class of the year my Philosophy 101 professor - whose name I have temporarily forgotten but who was a Buddhist and therefore a pretty cool guy - took a bunch of us to the Bulldog for beer. The bartender did not bat an eye or ask for anything from anybody except for our crisp one dollar bills. I knew then I was in love with the Bulldog. And now that Pete's Pizza is adjacent to the Bulldog, all the better. Time for a visit to Spokane and another walk down memory lane!

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

The 'Dog, definitely.

RZ, I only got into it once with Jeri. It was closing time and we still had about 15 games racked up on the pinball machine. Eventually the power cord got pulled and we were given an invitation to the snow & ice that awaited outside. Good times!

Quote Originally Posted by 75Zag View Post
    Back in the day, Jack & Dans was a small place located next to University Drug and was, as I recall, pretty strict on requiring fancy ID - the kind that did not look like you created it on the copier in the basement of the AD building.

The Bulldog was not so picky, so it got my business. I started at GU as a freshman at age 17 and after the first class of the year my Philosophy 101 professor - whose name I have temporarily forgotten but who was a Buddhist and therefore a pretty cool guy - took a bunch of us to the Bulldog for beer. The bartender did not bat an eye or ask for anything from anybody except for our crisp one dollar bills. I knew then I was in love with the Bulldog. And now that Pete's Pizza is adjacent to the Bulldog, all the better. Time for a visit to Spokane and another walk down memory lane!

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!
    That be Prof. Gilmore.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world.
    Those who understand binary and those who do not.
    "Only a madman or an economist thinks exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world."

Func FOO

E .· ` ' / ·. F
    The FOO fuels me.

Without a doubt, in my day ('70-'71. my legal or sorta legal years), it was The Bulldog. They'd let us bring in Double Whamys from Strombolie's around 11:00 pm and wash it down with a pitcher or two. Also, The Bulldog had the best Polish Sausage and hot musturd around... at a great price too.!!

The last time I went into The Bulldog (about 2 years ago) they didn't even have any Polish Sausgage to sell! So now, it's Joey's... errr.... Jack & Dan's.

Quote Originally Posted by a13coach View Post
    That be Prof. Gilmore.
    A13 which do you prefer. We'll have to go with mrs. A13 and mrs. Alum before the wake forest game.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagineer View Post
    The last time I went into The Bulldog (about 2 years ago) they didn't even have any Polish Sausgage to sell! So now, it's Joey's... errr.... Jack & Dan's.
    Judging from my most recent visits, I would have to say the food is of a much higher quality than it was about 7 years ago when I was a senior. Which is definitely saying something.

from Mid-seventies Law alum: Bulldog Thursday nights were packed, J&Ds was a little more "local", as was the Biker place 1 block north. Restaurant/bar
    north across parking lot was older mix. Bulldog seemed to attract nursing students and older female Zag undergrads. We won intramural Basketball 3 years in a row and will never forget player/now prominent Spokane attorney putting celebratory cigar in his mouth...wrong end first! Tongued burned so badly he drained 1/2 a pitcher trying to get relief. Hope current kids are having as much fun as we remember.

Does said prominent attorney also win Spokane City golf championships ?

I was a Bulldog aficionado. During my senior year, I think my evening meal most nights was a pitcher of Lucky and a few bowls of popcorn. I credit that "diet" with allowing me to survive four years in Germany.

Of course, I was able to afford a stromboli the first week of the month...or a Student Stuffer at Paky's.

From December 1978, GU Bulletin advertisement:

19.5 ounces of the finest wine known to man. . .for only a BUCK !?!

It boggles the mind. . .

Basketball Web Sites Listing

"The most interesting place exists between how people see themselves and how other people do." -- Wright Thompson

I clearly remember when they upped the price from $1 pitchers to $1.50 pitchers. I remember thinking "Ouch!!!"

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post

19.5 ounces of the finest wine known to man. . .for only a BUCK !?!

It boggles the mind. . .

That $1.00 wine brought in a lot of women!

A lot of women willing to drink a lot of really cheap wine. . .

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post

!!!