Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stockton Was Terrific at the HOF Induction Ceremony

Thumbs up Great blurb on Stockton / HOF Induction TV Info

Balls Don't Lie is one of my favorite basketball blogs, and the author writes from an unabashedly-a-fan POV at times which reminds me of what Bill Simmons used to be.

Anyways, for reasons I'm not sure, he decided to wax poetic on John Stockton today.

It wasn't a bar that I particularly enjoyed being in, despite the fact I was 22 and should have felt right at home amongst the other 22-year-olds, to say nothing of all the sports memorabilia that lined the walls. It was also just a 45-second walk from the theatre I bartended at, and across the street from a rather convenient late-night gyro stand.

That said, I would have rather been some place with fewer baseball caps, if you catch my drift, and because I was throwing a bit of a fit with the two mates that led me into this dungeon (I mean, my Dad called the place "Geek-keeper's," and when your Dad makes fun of a place you're trying to have fun in, years prior, look out), I absconded within the pub's confines and tried to find the nearest cathode tube ray featuring NBA TV. Gave the bar a bit of stick, but they did show NBA TV on occasion.

Upon finding that TV, that channel and that ticker, things got much, much worse. John Stockton was retiring, the ticker read. He wasn't going to give the 2003-04 season a try, at age 41. He was hanging it up, despite averaging a little under 11 points and eight assists per game, in under 28 minutes a contest. And for some reason, this depressed the hell out of me.

Stockton didn't care, and I dug that. He also played his ass off, won heaps of games, rarely let his effort wane in the face of games that didn't matter, and he could have played longer. It speaks to his own brilliance that, after close to 1,700 regular season and playoff games, I still wanted a bit more from the man.

Over six years later, we're all a bit grayer, Stockton is long gone and about to be enshrined somewhere, and I'm still ticked he called it quits. Still a little bummed.

I still think he's the one with the problem.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/bal...urn=nba,188370
    Training Grounds: Rambling Thoughts of a Surgical Resident
    You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions. -Siddhartha Gautama

Nice article -- well worth clicking on the link and reading the whole thing.

BDL added a Stockton photo gallery today. The first photo is him in a Zags jersey! Great stuff.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/bal...urn=nba,188642
    Training Grounds: Rambling Thoughts of a Surgical Resident
    You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions. -Siddhartha Gautama

Exclamation Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony Info

Zeke is Presenting John Stockton. . .

SPRINGFIELD, MA – September 8, 2009 – The Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame today announced the list of Hall of Fame players and coaches who will serve as presenters for the Enshrinement Ceremony of the Class of 2009, to be staged this Friday, September 11, 2009 in Springfield, Massachusetts.

* Presenting Coach C. Vivian Stringer will be Hall of Fame Coach John Chaney

* Presenting Coach Jerry Sloan will be Hall of Fame player Charles Barkley

* Presenting John Stockton will be Hall of Fame player Isiah Thomas

* Presenting David Robinson will be Hall of Fame Coach Larry Brown and Hall of Fame player George Gervin

* Presenting Michael Jordan will be Hall of Fame player David Thompson

As tradition suggests, the incoming class for the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame enshrinement ceremony was asked to select a previous inductee to accompany and present the new member of the Basketball Hall of Fame to his or her peers. The choice is solely the decision of the incoming Hall of Famer. The enshrinement ceremony for the Basketball Hall of Fame will be celebrated this Friday, September 11, 2009 at the Springfield Symphony Hall with coverage beginning at 6:30pm (ET) on ESPN. (Check local listings).

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

Default good job all around

I thought John did a fine job representing everything important to him: family, friends, schools, the sport etc etc.

And I thought KREM'S Tim Lewis did an excellent job of guiding the story with pertinent questions and anchor Randy Shaw did his best, too. KREM gathered alot of good pix, film and clips that really did the story justice, too.

Interviews ran from his bro Steve to childhood friends, influences in his life, up through several coaches, including Dan Fitzgerald, his dad, Jack, and lots and lots of talk from the usually tight lipped superstar.

The only error I saw was Tim identifying Fitz as John's coach. Fitz recruited John and then became full time AD at GU while Jay Hillock was the man who actually coached John.

It was a fun, fast, hour. I'm sure KREM will repeat it and I'm sure it will get good reviews. Much of the stuff can be found at krem.com, including several uncut interviews that didn't make it into the program, along with the interviews w/John and others that did.

Good job Tim ! Randy ! And John !

Go Zags !

Fitz did coach John one year, his freshman season in 80-81.
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Another interesting bit of history......as many know, John had almost zero interest from the NBA folks coming out of Gonzaga, despite various GU people begging for him to get an invite to the Portsmouth and Lewiston camps. Coach Hillock said that the only reason why John got invited to Portsmouth - which led to him getting drafted - was because he got invited to participate in the Coaches All Star game at 1984 Final Four in Seattle. Apparently one of the "all stars" couldn't make it, and he got to be his sub. The rest is history.

Wow, cool stuff.

Does anyone know why Stockton chose Isiah for the introduction? On appearance, they seem to be complete opposites and the choice was a surprise to me. Same with Sloan's choice with Barkley...he never played for Sloan, unless my memory has failed.

Congrats Stockton

Default HOF Press Conference on Now ...

NBA.tv or ESPNews (7:30 am Pacific ) ...

Not to be confused with the actual induction ceremony this evening, but still kinda cool. They already had intros and the fitting of the jackets, now taking Q&A in reverse alpha order ...

Coach Stringer on now, then
    Stockton,
    Sloan,
    Robinson and then some other guy.

Each had a short "Hi, golly gee, thanks statement" earlier.
    Nice short interview with Barkley how Sloan asked him to introduce him tonight.
    So many brackets, so little time.

Some insight, not much, into the selection of Barkley and Thomas...
    http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...resenters.html
    Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. -- Dave Barry
    f∞

I haven't watched the whole Stockton special from last night but here's a great clip about Thomas and Stockton

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/5955294/15495503
    Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. -- Dave Barry
    f∞

Default The essential John Stockton

Here is a 4 minute clip from the KREM special 9/10/09 that captures the basic, unvarnished John Stockton re: basketball, parenthood and life.

http://www.krem.com/video/stockton-i...ml?nvid=397311

He is a man of few words who does not like to talk about himself, so kudos to Tim Lewis for putting together a really nice interview.

Default Stockton Was Terrific at the HOF Induction Ceremony

Thank you, John! Great, great job. I loved hearing the list of local people you thanked, especially Kerry Pickett, who did so much for my nephew's game. How many board members played for Kerry Picket?

Also nice to hear Dan Fitzgerald get some props.

John was and still is the best advertisement for Gonzaga basketball.

That was neat!

Kerry L., the pride of Indiana? The big redhead perfected my form in lines, suicides, and taking the charge! "Ginny, these boys will need some donuts when I'm done with them!". Classic.

I was so lucky to see John Stockton inducted into the HOF this evening. Talk about a classy guy. And funny? I thought he had the best speech of them all. He's a great public speaker. When I think of humility I think of John Stockton. And when I think of what a Zag is, I could certainly see it in John Stockton tonight. I'm glad I got to see this, and it was great to see him inducted along with his coach Norm Sloan and the greatest player of all time, Michael Jordon.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Default More on Stockton

and Jerry Sloan

From SI.Com

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...x.html?eref=T1

Go Zags!!!!
    Last edited by BoZarth; 09-11-2009 at 05:35 PM. Reason: link

Default Stockton's Enshrinement Speech

Just watched the replay of his speech on NBA-TV ( BTW, the ceremony will be replayed throughout the weekend on NBA TV; check their web site for broadcast times ) and enjoyed it very much. Seems like a humble, gracious man who prefers to redirect the spotlight towards those who helped him along the way.

Congratulations !
    Last edited by RenoZag; 09-13-2009 at 04:16 PM.

Default here are a few outtakes

“We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

That was awesome! Thanks for the links, gamagin and FuManShoes. And thank you John.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

Did anyone else think Jordan's speech was extremely arrogant? The guy's the best player ever and all, but man is he a pompous @$$.

I grew up while Jordan was in the league and absolutely idolized him, but last night's speech made me lose alot of respect for him. Calling out Byron Russell and some of the other guys who "disrespected" him was not only wrong; it was downright insulting. Why can't the guy just say thanks to all of his teammates, coaches and family, act gracious for being accepted into the hall, and shed a few tears for everyone? Instead he has to put down all of his opponents and build himself up to fill his ever-growing ego.

I'm so glad I got to hear Stockton's speech. He was so well-spoken and had the crowd going on every quip and joke he made. That's how a hall of fame induction speech should be. What a great ambassador for GU!
    GU Class of '07

There's no doubt we came away with the prize among the presenters, though I was impressed with David Robinson as well.

I wondered if Michael might have had a cocktail or seven before the event and would wake up this morning and pull the covers over his head, asking himself, "Oh, dear God! Did I really act like such a jerk last night?"

Maybe not. According to this column by Brian Mahoney on Yahoo sports, this has been a pattern of his. Too bad. While Stockton doubtless made a lot of money, there's no doubt Jordan had even more success financially. And yet it's clear at the end of the day who ended up the richer man in all that matters ...

The word that occurred for me at the close of Jordan's speech: "Rosebud ..."

I was worried I was the only one who thought Jordan's speech was in extremely poor taste. I can't say I was ever a fan (I always thought his ego got in the way too much for me to admire him) but I think I was more than willing last night to forget about that and just look at him as a player if he could have shown the least bit of integrity or humility in his speech...FAIL! I hate that the media is somehow trying to make it sound like he gave a great speech...seriously did they hear the same obnoxious one I did?! What I would not give to be a fly on the wall the rest of the weekend in Springfield, it really makes me wonder how the NBA players that were there (especially Thomas) are going to treat him now that he's said what's in his heart.

I also thought Stockton's speech was so well written. I can't remember when or what exactly triggered me in becoming a fan of his, but I could honestly not be happier that I did I really expected nothing short of grace from him, Sloan, Robinson, and Stringer last night.

John is so humble. I'd bet his son David will be, too.

Meanwhile:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Default I watched John's speech again today,

and have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it, too. He hit all the best spots and paid all the tributes any great person, athlete, parent, son, sister, brother and friend could possibly offer in front of the whole athletic world.

It was, to put it mildly, complete, perfectly timed and and executed, just like he perfected his roundball game for all those many years.

Back on the day when it was announced that John had been selected 16th overall in the first round by the Jazz, I, along with a dozen or so others, were invited to GU to witness & shoot (photograph) John and interview him as Gonzaga's first team UPI all American and first round NBA draft pick.

The picture that I think is still in the GU halls or perhaps now in the athletic department archives (i don't know) was one of john holding his new Utah # 12 jersey. The photo was taken by then-young Colin Mulvaney (now of the spokesman-review).

Back then Mulvaney was a teenage bag boy at Rosauers and a person whom I had hired as a shooter for my company after he had sold us several pix that he had obtained through his own enterprise.

It turned out to become the "official" GU picture of John -- the one other outlets & the school offered when asked for artwork to go along with the stories they were running.

Why the official photo & that photo ? Because GU, inexperienced in this kind of publicity, or perhaps flustered, or both, had forgotten to get a photographer of their own and solicited permission (and got it) for our picture (after we ran it, of course).

And as far as I know, it still is the official, original, one. Several years ago, I gave Jack Stockton the original photo owned by UPI, even though I am sure John likely had at least one copy of his own. I thought about that when I was listening to the now retired superstar.

A couple of other memories of those days also came to mind as I watched the rerun.

I don't know exactly when it was said, but it wasn't too far along in John's career, Jazz coach Frank Layden, who drafted John, was asked why he selected Stockton. Layden said something like: "Well, he is Catholic, he laughs at my jokes and his dad owns a bar." Layden was also a Catholic.

I watched hundreds of Jazz games over the years, many times sitting with Jack and other neighborhood Jack & Dan regulars. On two different occasions, the Jazz team came to Spokane to play an exhibition game. I think they were both with the sonics, but one may have been against Portland.

Many of the Jazz team members came to Jack and Dan's after that first game, ostensibly to pay tribute to their teammate and his dad, Jack.

Jack was ready for them. When they entered the bar, Jack called Coach Layden up to the bar and then announced he had a gift for the coach and the team. It was wrapped and Layden unwrapped it and found a brand new (very cheap) basketball, in its box, that had been signed by all the Jack and Dan regulars.

"I'm speechless," said Layden in mock gratitude as he held the ball up for all the Jazz players to "admire."

Go Zags ! Go John !
    Last edited by gamagin; 09-12-2009 at 02:36 PM.