Thread: Hooray for Monson! LBSU Job is His

Default Monson: 2nd Interview at LBSU

That is too bad about Dollar.

Cameron Dollar, the 31-year-old University of Washington assistant who also interviewed twice for the 49ers' job (with Cegles and LBSU Vice President for Student Affairs Doug Robinson on March 26 and on campus Tuesday evening, when he met with Dr. Alexander), remains a candidate for the job, a source said, although there is apparent administrative trepidation over the NCAA recruiting violations he committed in the summer of 2002.

Dollar, who helped lead UCLA to the 1995 NCAA championship, was banned from off-campus recruiting for an academic year and suspended by the school for a month, without pay, for the violations, most of which reportedly centered around contacts during a non-evaluation period with Josh Heytvelt, then a 6-foot-10 senior-to-be at Clarkston High in Eastern Washington who eventually enrolled at Gonzaga.

Long Beach administrators, whose program could be facing possible NCAA sanctions of its own because of alleged NCAA rules violations in Reynolds' program, reportedly contacted the NCAA's Enforcement Office in regard to Dollar.

Default Too Bad For Cameron??

I don't necessarily think Dollar should be in the "Dog House" forever, but let's not forget, he did commit recruiting violations. It just smells way too much for Dollar to be seriously considered for the lead job at one of the higher profile mid-major programs that is currently under serious suspicion of recruiting violations. Maybe he needs to set his sights a little lower, like the Idaho job (although I don't know if that is necessarily a good thing since I do like Idaho). For now, I prefer to reserve my pity for more deserving individuals than Dollar. If Monson wants this job, I hope he gets it; I think he is more deserving on many levels!

Default Hooray for Monson! LBSU Job is His

Jeff Goodman - FoxSports.com

Posted: 14 minutes ago

Dan Monson wasn't unemployed for long.

The former Minnesota head coach, who was forced out Nov. 30 after seven years with the Gophers, will be introduced as the Long Beach State coach Saturday at 10 a.m. PT at a news conference, according to sources close to the situation.
    The Gophers were 2-5 when Monson resigned and Jim Molinari took over as interim head coach.

Minnesota was 118-106 in Monson's tenure and 44-68 in Big Ten play.

Before going to Minnesota, Monson helped Gonzaga gain national prominence when he led the Zags to the Elite Eight in 1999.

Monson replaces Larry Reynolds, who led the 49ers to their first NCAA tournament appearance since 1995 — but was just 63-83 at Long Beach State.
    Goodman seems to be the first out of the gate with news on hirings.
    Last edited by ZagNative; 04-06-2007 at 07:00 PM.

According to ESPN - he got the Job! Good for him!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2828902

Yeah! I am very happy for Monson. Considering my sister will be moving to LA to take a job at Loyola Marymount (we have an understanding that I can still cheer for the Zags in men's basketball, but I'll have to be a Lion for other encounters since I did not attend Gonzaga, and she said blood comes before my "adopted" school. At least I won the battle for men's basketball! ), I'll try to take in some games when I visit, and perhaps wear one of my Minnesota Gopher T-shirts & a Gonzaga hat to leave no doubt that I am there cheering for him. I believe this is the right place for him to be now, and wish him the best of luck!

Congrats and good luck to Monson
    youtube - "The Runner"

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2013

Dumbing down the internet, one post at a time

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2011

Quote Originally Posted by VaBeachZAG View Post
    I don't necessarily think Dollar should be in the "Dog House" forever, but let's not forget, he did commit recruiting violations. It just smells way too much for Dollar to be seriously considered for the lead job at one of the higher profile mid-major programs that is currently under serious suspicion of recruiting violations. Maybe he needs to set his sights a little lower, like the Idaho job (although I don't know if that is necessarily a good thing since I do like Idaho). For now, I prefer to reserve my pity for more deserving individuals than Dollar. If Monson wants this job, I hope he gets it; I think he is more deserving on many levels!
    Congrat to coach Monson. He had a difficult situation in Minnesota. This is a good opportunity for him to re-gain his reputation. I always thought he was a good coach. After all, the 99 Zags team still went the farthest in the tourney in these 9 years. Without Monson, I don't think you see the Gonzaga program reached the height it has today.

It's too bad that LBSU didn't want to take a chance on a young and upcoming star coach in Cameron Dollar. He did make a mistake for contacting Heytvelt. But it's all about second chance. He's going to get his shots some day. I am glad he'd be back at UW next year, but at the same time, I feel bad for him. It's really LBSU's loss for not hiring him. Coach Dollar will be fine. He will be the next UCLA head coach after Howland retires in about 15 years, count on it.

Good for Dan. He's only 45 and has a long way to go. He's good at what he does. He did a very good job with us and with Minnesota considering recruiting was banned for years following the Haskins era. SO it's a fresh start for him and his family.
    Oil smell from the refineries in LB but he'll get used to it. Nice up and coming city. As of 86 they put in a $500 million convention center. I don't know about the facilites there but he'll recruit well. Good luck to our wandering fella.

Quote Originally Posted by dawgman1999 View Post
    It's too bad that LBSU didn't want to take a chance on a young and upcoming star coach in Cameron Dollar. He did make a mistake for contacting Heytvelt. . . It's really LBSU's loss for not hiring him. Coach Dollar will be fine. He will be the next UCLA head coach after Howland retires in about 15 years, count on it.
    Had LBSU not had the investigation going on, he would have had a much better chance - as it was, his past caught up to him. It's not a chance that LBSU could take.

When a program with no issues comes calling, I'm sure Cameron will be a fine head coach.

Webpage and there's a link to video from introductory press conference.

http://www.longbeachstate.com/bko/bkc/COACH/index.html

Wow, they seem pretty high on him, creating a webpage for him and all.

That is as excited as I've seen Monson look in a long time. This is a great spot for him. I hope all goes well, he deserves more success than he has had in the past few years.