Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kong -- A Real Article!

Default Kong -- A Real Article!

Good read. Check out the footwear our man is sporting!

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/C...064/story.html
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

Default Salient point

Kong, who is off to Spokane's Gonzaga University this fall on a full scholarship........

Still no press release, right GoZags ? Or did I overlook ?

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

Bol Kong, who is an instructor for Drive Basketball, a Richmond based basketball program, was introduced at my son's basketball camp this morning as "and this is Bol Kong, who will be attending Gonzaga next year. Bol is..."

Bol was present and teaching. I did not have time today, but before the end of the week, I will ask him this exact question: "there are hundreds of Gonzaga fans that are dying to know affirmativily, will Bol Kong be on the court as a Bulldog this fall?" I may try to grab a few pics as well.

In the for what its worth department, he was not wearing a Gonzaga t-shirt...

Ron

When you are that close maybe you could also ask.........WHEN ;^)
    "thnk god for few" jazzdelmar(12/12/11 12:50pm)
    "When most of us couldn't buy a basket. Where do we get off anyway?!" siliconzag (11/17/06 5:45:41 pm)
    I am monitoring the price of a donut

I wonder if he has seen the site? and if he has I hope he understands its just been funnin!

Rob in nowhere AZ.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Still no press release, right GoZags ? Or did I overlook ?
    Thanks for bringing me back to reality, Reno.

Regardless of what Gonzaga's President (i.e. the impeccable "highly placed" source) told me last Spring -- and later told Angelo .... and regardless of what others have said -- if there's no press release -- there will be "no Kong for you".

Nuts. And to think I got fired up for no reason.

I told my son that I was going to make a little sign..something like "Zags in 2010" or "hi guboards...see you in a month" and give it to Bol so I could take a picture and post it here...my son said he would never talk to me again if I embarrased him like that..I might try to do it when he is not looking.

He was having as much fun as anyone out there; I think he would see the humour (cdn) that it being poked around at the "mysterious Kong" as it is done with respect to what he may bring to the program and the hope that Bol will indeed be at Gonzaga.

The thing is though, what he has gone through to get to this point is not so funny; many would have given up and it is truly a testament to him at how he has perservered in his battle to get to a D1 school.

I don't pretend to understand the reasonings behind some of the U.S. policies on certain foreigners but at some point in ther future I would hope it gets back to a situation that each person could be judged on thier merits, not thier birth certificate origin.

Anyways..where did that soapbox come from...kick..back to BB..I'll be there tomorrow and see what I can glean.

Quote Originally Posted by ronh_pm View Post
    Bol Kong, who is an instructor for Drive Basketball, a Richmond based basketball program, was introduced at my son's basketball camp this morning as "and this is Bol Kong, who will be attending Gonzaga next year. Bol is..."

Bol was present and teaching. I did not have time today, but before the end of the week, I will ask him this exact question: "there are hundreds of Gonzaga fans that are dying to know affirmativily, will Bol Kong be on the court as a Bulldog this fall?" I may try to grab a few pics as well.

In the for what its worth department, he was not wearing a Gonzaga t-shirt...

Ron
    Your photos are amazing. It would be fantastic if you could help us fill in our Kong blanks.

Hey, if Obama's birth certificate doesn't count........

Anyone notice that he's wearing flip flops in the picture of him playing?

I used to hang out on that beach. sigh.....

weather permitting, I will be photographing the event..I have shot there a couple of times...lots of game there and a totally fun place to watch hoops (among other things)

I forgot to mention...no one picked up on my t-shirt comment?...he was wearing a Zags shirt for the photos at Kits Beach...

Ask him what the hold-up is and why he hasn't visited Gonzaga yet?
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Default Spokane or Vancouver?

Quote Originally Posted by BobZag View Post
    Ask him what the hold-up is and why he hasn't visited Gonzaga yet?
    If you had the choice between spending your summer in Vancouver BC or Spokane,which would you pick? North Division is nice, but not quite Robson Street. Not to mention the hoards of cute actresses and actress-wannabes that populate downtown Vancouver when they are not doing TV or movies or whatever.

If Bol Kong sneaks off to play for somebody else or to play in Europe or whatever I will be as angry as anybody, but for now I can easily understand why he is not rushing to move to the Inland Empire in August.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Default August 27

August 27 is when student orientation begins, and classes start on the 31st. This will all come to pass........

I never asked him what the "hold up" is. Between his playing here, the Canadian National Team and instructing at camps I guess he felt he was busy enough that taking a trip to the school in summer when the program was shut down would not be a benefit to him.

I did ask him though when he was planning on heading down and he said Aug.24th so expect some Kong sightings then. I said that the Gonzaga basketball fans were excited about him coming down and about the near future of the program. He said something that I hadn't thought about; from a (basketball) athletes point of view, one of the benefits of a school without football is the focus is all on basketball.

Here are a couple of snaps from the camp this AM when he when doing a little instruction.

In this one, the winner of a drill got the opportunity to play 1-1 with Bol in a game to 5. Bol was leading 3-0 and kind of playing with the kid in grey when the kid in grey scored. The next possesion Bol took it right at him and through down a monster dunk...he was none too pleased to get scored on, even by a camper..

Last edited by ronh_pm; 08-11-2009 at 12:12 PM. Reason: added what I forgot the first time

Thanks for all the info ronh_pm!

(& SLO for the article link)

youtube - "The Runner"

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2013

Dumbing down the internet, one post at a time

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2011

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    Thanks for bringing me back to reality, Reno.

Regardless of what Gonzaga's President (i.e. the impeccable "highly placed" source) told me last Spring -- and later told Angelo .... and regardless of what others have said -- if there's no press release -- there will be "no Kong for you".

Nuts. And to think I got fired up for no reason.
    Don't give up hope! The gozags official athletic site still has not released the 09-10 roster yet.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

He can dunk too? hmmmmmm......didn't know that...

Is that Lebron James that he is dunking on? Watch out they might take the picture away from us!!
    March Madness: Another reason not to work

Love those last two action pics - getting goose bumps! And this is without even thinking about all the rest of the terrific players we will have!

Only 94 days until November 13th (a date at least close to our frst game)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ronh_pm View Post
    I never asked him what the "hold up" is. Between his playing here, the Canadian National Team and instructing at camps I guess he felt he was busy enough that taking a trip to the school in summer when the program was shut down would not be a benefit to him.

I did ask him though when he was planning on heading down and he said Aug.24th so expect some Kong sightings then. I said that the Gonzaga basketball fans were excited about him coming down and about the near future of the program. He said something that I hadn't thought about; from a (basketball) athletes point of view, one of the benefits of a school without football is the focus is all on basketball.

Here are a couple of snaps from the camp this AM when he when doing a little instruction.

In this one, the winner of a drill got the opportunity to play 1-1 with Bol in a game to 5. Bol was leading 3-0 and kind of playing with the kid in grey when the kid in grey scored. The next possesion Bol took it right at him and through down a monster dunk...he was none too pleased to get scored on, even by a camper..
    Outstanding, ronh_pm. Really appreciate what you did. Sounds like fun. Thanks!
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Wow! guboards made a quality poster pick up when Ronh_pm joined the board! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    Wow! guboards made a quality poster pick up when Ronh_pm joined the board! Thanks!
    Speaking of posters, #14 is about to be on one compliments of Mr. Kong.