Thread: Machtolf a candidate at UW

Default Machtolf a candidate at UW

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm..._uwbase08.html

hope he stays at GU... could really build a nice program with our facilities

El Voce Guest

I know Mark fairly well, and would be very surprised if he left Spokane. His Spokane roots run very, very deep, and I just can't see him leaving the area. Just my opinion from what I know about him.

Default Hope you are right

Hope you are right, Voce. Would be tough to lose him with the program finally on the upswing. Hopefully he is just hoping to get a little sweeter salary package at GU (nothing wrong with that) and I would think he derserves that. Plus, he has a son who will be a soph at G-Prep (also a baseball player) and most people don't like to uproot their kids during HS years.

I think you're on the right track Voce. I played with or against Mark since we were in our early teens. His roots are very, very strong here in Spokane and I think his love for Gonzaga is too. I feel it would take a bigger program than UW for him to even consider a move.

UW has godawful baseball facilities. GU has one of the best baseball facilities in the west. It's better than most Pac-10 venues.

Zags are on the uptick; Huskies, not so much.

The Huskies are rumored to have offered the VA Tech coach, who apparently turned them down.

I, too, think MM stays.
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

USD coach apparently spurns UW:

Washington made waves on Wednesday by enticing San Diego coach Rich Hill to make a last-second trip to Seattle. But after a day of dealing with Washington officials, sources said Hill departed for a planned vacation without making a decision on the post.
    There's certainly a chance Hill decides to make the move to Washington. But it must be said that if he left Seattle and went on vacation without making a decision, there's an even better chance he decides to return to San Diego.
    A decision to stay put at USD would surprise no one.
    http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basebal...=ncaabb,177119

The article goes on to say that USF coach Nino Giarratano may be the next candidate. It may be an attractive move for Giarrantano. UW's baseball facility is bad; USF's is worse.
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor