Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dower lighting up the nights

Default Dower lighting up the nights

Sam hit 4-5 threes in last night's scrimmage after the camp and is looking more and more like a huuuuge steal by Few & Staff. If he keeps on this pace, Rob Sacre will have plenty of help inside. (Dower is also doing great in the paint.)

Andy Poling eats steaks, roasts and potatoes, and is now 245 lbs! He came in last year at around 215 lbs.

It looks like our interior problems may be fixed for years to come.

Catch the guys tonight in the MAC at about 10pm.

Nice to hear! I am definitely excited about next season

Can anyone go in and watch?

Can't wait to see Poling play. It was a big deal when he originally committed before the health problems. And some wondered why Few stuck with him.
    We lost, we won; either way we had fun. - Eduardo Galeano

I'd like to go tonight. Not always but often, I cannot get in and there's no one available to talk to so I might go in and watch the kids. It's late at 10pm for most and I think they go home. What to do..what to do...????

Andy will surprise next year. He'll be a great scorer and his footwork is well above normal. Throw in Harris and Dower . We've got a major group underneath. Young inexperienced team but it'll be a very competetive one.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    I'd like to go tonight. Not always but often, I cannot get in and there's no one available to talk to so I might go in and watch the kids. It's late at 10pm for most and I think they go home. What to do..what to do...????:
    Go! You'll have a great time, and if you don't you'll drink. lol
    If you go I know you'll give us a great report, and I'd love to here what you'll have to say.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Go! You'll have a great time, and if you don't you'll drink. lol
    If you go I know you'll give us a great report, and I'd love to here what you'll have to say.
    Exactly! I am jealous. Where is my private jet when I need it!

I'll be there.
    If you want to be happy tomorrow, think good thoughts today--Bud Fisher

Quote Originally Posted by zag buddy View Post
    I'll be there.
    some day.......

have a good one!

GO TEAM ZAGS!!!

Can anyone go in and watch?
    yes!

Go through the old Kennel/Martin Centre and to inside K2 from there.
    almost like a beam me up scotty thing.

Josh was there...not good shooting for our grad. Seemed a bit tired. Most were.

Meech is amazingly quick . He has amazing body control in the air. Runs the break to perfection.

GJ is a fine looking young fella, Hops, speed...seems to know his way around the basket. Nice mid range shooter. Mom and his 2 lil brothers were there. Nice family. He'll do very well here.

I don't think I saw Matt miss. He looks to be in amazing shape and shot very very well. Looks tired though.

Rob Sacre looked to be in great shape. Didn't play much. No favoring of his foot though when walking.

Best surprise was Andy Poling. Superb midrange shooter. He's as tall as Josh now...or close to it. He moves well and runs the court like an athlete...not alike a big loping kid. Nice moves underneath. Solid and he's still growing a bit. I had some time with him for a chat about his "problem". Says he's over it but watches his diet. He's a very nice kid. He'll put some points up this year.

Sam Dower moves smoothly but gets up whenever he wants. Nice touch (soft) around the rim. Seems to be having fun with his new friends. Great frame and big shoulders. RUns well. Soft hands.....noticed that right away.

I'll go back tomorrow night. The hour was late and everyone ( even the campers) seemed tired from the day. All in all, you'll like these kids. It's early but they'll mesh well. Overall, they do seems to like each other. I didn't see many bad shots. GJ and Meech could run by most guards I've seen...ever. It's almost frantic.

More later...
    Last edited by BobZag; 07-01-2009 at 06:28 PM. Reason: mmmm

Default Right on Dr Abe

I met Gamagin at J&D's about 9:00 last night for a cold one (just a short girly glass). When I was driving home I got one of those past-my-bedtime second winds and stopped by K2. I saw everything you described but, alas, I didn't see you. I was sitting behind the east end basket with some of the campers. I was really impressed with GJ's explosiveness. He has all the tools to be a great point guard. A couple of the lads did look a touch tired but they didn't start playing until about 10:20.

Bouldin and Meech were playing on the skins team and I couldn't believe how powerful Bouldin looks without a shirt. He looks like an NFL linebacker. I was surprised at how powerful Meech looks in the upper body. He's going to fun to watch this year. I think he and GJ are going to make each other even better.

I was also impressed with David Stockton's ability to get in and compete with these guys. At first I thought he was a little brother of one of the players. He has the same mannerisms as the old man along with the long arms and big hands and he moves well, doing a great job of finding the open man. Looks like he has mental toughness too. I hope he makes the squad. With a little more size and maybe a red shirt year he should be able to contribute more than the average walk on.

Next time Abey, wear a red top hat or something so I can find you.
    Last edited by BobZag; 07-01-2009 at 06:29 PM.

sounds like fun ABE and jhoop, thanks for the report. what a cool lifestyle, to go hang out with the crew at the gym. Love it!
    Last edited by bballbeachbum; 07-01-2009 at 07:41 AM. Reason: none

Does anyone know if they will be playing tonight since their camp gets over this afternoon? I would like to go and watch if they are.
    March Madness: Another reason not to work

I was there with a buddy.

GJ stood out for me. I really like what I saw. Great handles and very quick. I think he's going to be special.

Sam had his moments but his release seems slow to me. On 2 different occasions he had the ball outside and it felt slow and awkward. Had his pocket picked inside by Josh and a smaller guy when he brought the ball down.

Rob swapped in and out with Big Will. He ran the floor well and didn't seem to be hobbled by his foot.

Quote Originally Posted by Salsageek View Post
    Sam had his moments but his release seems slow to me. On 2 different occasions he had the ball outside and it felt slow and awkward. Had his pocket picked inside by Josh and a smaller guy when he brought the ball down.
    When you mention Sam's "release", are referring to his shot from the perimeter or his moves inside the paint? Also, I would assume Sam looked a bit out-of-place or awkward if he was positioned outside since he's a true PF. After the Daye/Heytvelt era, we have been tainted to expect 6'10 big-men to play like shooting guards or even have handles like Daye, yet Dower is certainly an inside player. Sam won't be competing for minutes at the SF position anytime soon. I have watched Dower play a handful of times and I would describe his moves inside the paint faster/quicker than anything we've seen since Ronny Turiaf. Sam's hook shot from the left side is simply unblockable and when he secures the ball inside with his soft hands, he's fast and efficient, definitely not slow. However, maybe he was having a tough night with the veterans playing or was possibly forced to play out of position.

Gibbs has been working his butt off, from what I hear, and he's been looking good in these games. Any feedback on him.

Appreciate these reports, guys.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Thanks for the reports, guys. They're helpful and fun to read.

Default I saw scrimmage Tues night

The guys scrimmage from 10 to 11 pm. I was suprised by the aggresiveness of the entire team. The most aggressive were Rob and Big Will. Whenever they got the ball they went to the rim(or above it) with authority,a total commitment to score. It was good to see.Both Matt and Grant looked and played well. Both appear to have lost weight and toned up,both looked "chiseled". Matt made two extremely aggresive ducks in traffic. Grant is definately a player and will not disappoint the fans-very very solid player.One of those players whose game is understated but the more you watch him the more you admire his skills.I do not know if I have seen a faster pair of guards than Meech and GJ Vilarino. GJ has a very quick first step to the basket. I don't recall him being stopped going to the basket. Andy Poling is a very reliable defender, He gives no "quarter" He was defending Josh,who has also developed a scorers mentallity about going to the rim. Andy has both offensive and defensive skills.I would not guess he has gained much weight since last year. Sam Dower looked a tad undersized among the trees. But he gave very good energy and effort. It was full out play, no slow down no concern about injuries just hard play. I feel a lot better now in having some confidence in Rob. He has progressed offensively. Wants to score not just rebound.
    I took 15 minutes trying various doors and hallways before being let in by coach Few.
    Last edited by BobZag; 07-01-2009 at 06:30 PM.
    If you want to be happy tomorrow, think good thoughts today--Bud Fisher

Wink

Are they open practice? Cool that coach few let you in .....

Quote Originally Posted by Grad Zag View Post
    Does anyone know if they will be playing tonight since their camp gets over this afternoon? I would like to go and watch if they are.
    I'm curious about this as well. I missed last night but would be thrilled at the prospect of seeing the Zags play in July.....4 more months
    A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.
    Steven Wright

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2012
    Foo Fantasy Football Last Place Champ 2013

Speaking of the team, where has Steven Gray been hiding this Summer? I heard he was in Spokane, yet no one has mentioned his name in any updates, pick-up games, or basketball camps. It seems odd, to say the least.

Great to hear the newcomers are already building team chemistry and playing with the veterans for the entire Summer. It will be exciting to welcome the Canadian trio of Olynyk, Arop, and Kong very soon. The scrimmages will get really exciting come August...

Gray is out of town, I think back home helping with his old high school's camp.

I'm hearing David Stockton could be darn good in time. The coaches are impressed. Heard he looked better than Kingma last night.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

I was referring to his mid range to 3pt shots. It just seems to me the release is slow and doesn't have much of an arch. Yes you are right we have been spoiled by Austin/Josh. I am happy with his inside moves though.

Did anyone see Matt throw down that alley-oop? I don't recall ever seeing Matt dunk in a real game.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldwinzag View Post
    When you mention Sam's "release", are referring to his shot from the perimeter or his moves inside the paint? Also, I would assume Sam looked a bit out-of-place or awkward if he was positioned outside since he's a true PF. After the Daye/Heytvelt era, we have been tainted to expect 6'10 big-men to play like shooting guards or even have handles like Daye, yet Dower is certainly an inside player. Sam won't be competing for minutes at the SF position anytime soon. I have watched Dower play a handful of times and I would describe his moves inside the paint faster/quicker than anything we've seen since Ronny Turiaf. Sam's hook shot from the left side is simply unblockable and when he secures the ball inside with his soft hands, he's fast and efficient, definitely not slow. However, maybe he was having a tough night with the veterans playing or was possibly forced to play out of position.

Great to hear all the reports. IMO the most important thing is that they are playing and that they are playing together. There will be alot of new talent that needs to mesh with alot of older talent and things like this are a good start. If chemistry is right this could be a very entertaining yr.