• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 75Zag
    Zag for Life
    • Mar 2007

Once A Knight is Enough?

When I was a sophomore at GU in 1972 I participated in an activity which was called (I think) the Intercollegiate Knights. My memory is very hazy except I think we had to buy matching outfits of slacks and sport coats and I think we went to the airport to greet incoming freshmen in the fall of '72.

Does the organization still exist? Was it limited to GU or part of a larger organization? Seemed a little bit like a fraternity except that there were wildly diverging interests, with some members very religious and conservative and others more interested in drinking and the opportunity to "assist" as many incoming freshman girls as possible.

I might have made this all up, except that recently in my mother's basement I discovered a wooden sword with paint and names and slogans on it, including "Once a Knight is Enough". Not my particular motto, but whatever.

?????
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
  • Angelo Roncalli
    Bleeds Bulldog Blue
    • Feb 2007

The Knights are still in existence. I believe they recently had some troubles with hazing allegations.

When I was at GU shortly after you, the women's service organization was the Spurs. The saying was "Once a Spur, always a Spur; but once a Knight's enough."

Some time ago the Spurs were reorganized and renamed "The Setons." I think they've had some problems in the recent past with alleged violations of the university alcohol policy.

For the most part, both organizations do considerable good work in the charitable activities.

Originally posted by 75Zag View Post
    When I was a sophomore at GU in 1972 I participated in an activity which was called (I think) the Intercollegiate Knights. My memory is very hazy except I think we had to buy matching outfits of slacks and sport coats and I think we went to the airport to greet incoming freshmen in the fall of '72.

Does the organization still exist? Was it limited to GU or part of a larger organization? Seemed a little bit like a fraternity except that there were wildly diverging interests, with some members very religious and conservative and others more interested in drinking and the opportunity to "assist" as many incoming freshman girls as possible.

I might have made this all up, except that recently in my mother's basement I discovered a wooden sword with paint and names and slogans on it, including "Once a Knight is Enough". Not my particular motto, but whatever.

?????
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Comment

• GoZags
      Super Moderator
      • Feb 2007

I was a Knight, as were fellow boardmembers 77Zag and Stocktonzag (and I believe Zag77, zag1977 and jaydee77).

The Knights and Spurs were Sophomore Service Organizations -- it was a one year deal.

I'm not sure how many Polyesters had to die to make our nifty slacks and sportcoats.
      sigpic
      “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
      ——-
      List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
      Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• zagporvida
        Kennel Club Material
        • Jul 2007

They are still semi-around, mostly because of violations they have been put on probation or something along those lines. But I remember the year after I was a Knight that they were put on probation as well, so it seems like this group is in hot water every year. You would think they would learn to stay out of trouble. I truly joined because of the service aspect as well as getting to meet freshman girls :-) but by the end of the year I was so done with it.

Comment

• 75Zag
          Zag for Life
          • Mar 2007

University Alcohol Policy

Am rephrasing this post. Alcohol policy violations are an interesting topic, but I don't want to cast GU in a negative light for those that care about such things.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!
          Last edited by 75Zag; 06-17-2009, 09:17 AM.

Comment

• 1973Zag
            Kennel Club
            • Feb 2007

another Knight

add 1973zag to the list. I don't remember being in "hot water", but I remember the early morning ice water welcome!

Comment

• Martin Centre Mad Man
              Administrator
              • Apr 2009

I was a Knight.
              “No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342950...in-perspective

Comment

• PeninsulaDog
                Kennel Club Material
                • Feb 2007

I was a member of the/a Knights class that was placed on probation. Alcohol played only an ancillary role in the proceedings, and it was not cited as an offense. Several of us (about half of the group of 30) were placed on 'conduct probation', or received a 'conduct reprimand'. I received the latter from Mr. Potato Head himself. Bonus points for anyone that can identify to whom I refer!

Comment

• 75Zag
                  Zag for Life
                  • Mar 2007

Headed home to Wenatchee in a few weeks and my nearly 90 year old mother wants us kids to clear our stuff out of her house. There is not much there I need or want since I have my own house full of stuff, but I think I will grab my IC Knights sword and bring it back to Vancouver. A bit of a connection with the past can't hurt anything. My beautiful wife - the Lovely Mrs. '75 - was a science nerd while we were at GU and wanted nothing to do with social groups like the Spurs, but even she appreciated the Knights' snazzy brown-toned pants and sport coats. And to her credit, she often said that - contrary to our slogan - "Once a Knight is not always enough".

See you in San Jose - Go Bulldogs!

Comment

• zagcheer78
                    Kennel Club
                    • Feb 2007

I transferred to GU my soph. year but I had been nominated and inducted into the intercollegiate Spurs at my first school. I was assured that I could transfer my membership to GU. When I approached the Spurs at GU I was told that the Spurs at GU were not part of the national group so I was outta luck. My friends who were Spurs at GU and I used to laugh because I was the only authentic Spur on campus but was not part of the GU group. Go figure

Comment

Working...
                    X