Thread: Rules changes are a-coming

Default Rules changes are a-coming

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4241811

Charging near/under the basket, the use of replay, coaching picks of FT shooter...
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

I have never liked a situation where a team can gain advantage via a violation. It seems to me that the rule allowing the opposing coach to pick a free throw shooter could lead to some very hard fouls in certain situations.

Default Offensive Foul Rule

I think I said this before (memory failing by the hour) but the change to the offensive foul rule appears to favor the "Kevin Love" style low post players by reducing the opportunity for smaller players to establish position and draw the offensive foul.

A good rule change if you have plenty of "Kevin Love" or "Josh Smith" size players (BCS schools, Duke, etc.) but I think a bad rule change if you have to try to get the job done with smaller players (GU).

Which is why I say . . .

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Ugh, still no 5 point shot from behind halfcourt??

The committee NEVER listens to my suggestions...
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Good. I always hate those charges under the basket calls. I just think about this one play where Pargo did this dunk and someone ran underneath and they called a charge on Pargo two years ago in the beginning of the season. That game shook his confidence a bit. I think the game was against Virginia Tech.

I wonder if semi-circles will be drawn on the floors under baskets.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

I don't like the opposing coach choosing a player, but I do think it should have to be a guy on the floor. Marquette had a game this year (I think either in the NCAA or Big East tourney) where the opposing player got injured...a great FT shooter came in and sank both, and the "hurt" player came right back in.

I had heard there wouldn't be a semi-circle, but I hope there is. Anything to make the calls a bit more objective is helpful. As for the 5 pt. line WooHoo, I hear the NCAA committee responds best to bribery.

Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    I have never liked a situation where a team can gain advantage via a violation. It seems to me that the rule allowing the opposing coach to pick a free throw shooter could lead to some very hard fouls in certain situations.
    If you can pick your own shooter, it opens up the possibility of players faking injury so that a better shooter can come in and sink the shot. This is a much greater risk than the hard foul, since a flagrant foul is already shots+possession.