Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: !2009-2010 Schedule! (tentative, of course)

Busy preseason! Boys will be tired but they'll know D1 ball. It's a nice blend of tough and softer games. Old fashioned but I like that GU plays Idaho, EWU and WSU....if it goes that way.

National exposure is continued. These new kids will get some experience. Hang on to your hats fellas. 3 and 1/2 months till we lace em up again for some real games.

If I'm reading the NCAA scheduling rule correctly, we could have our first game November 13, 2009:
    17.5.3 First Contest.

A member institution shall not play its first contest (game or scrimmage) with outside competition in basketball prior to the second Friday of November (see Figure 17-2). ....
    That's a week before the IPFW game. It seems probable, don't you think, they'd tuck at least one game in that week?

It's coming together, ZN. Looking good. Nothing to add at this time.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Default Question?

Can they play a closed practice against a team like Texas? I know they did it last year, just wondering if it is still available to do.

I suppose the kids would be too raw yet to schedule a scrimmage with a tough D-1 school like they did with Texas ... rule:

17.5.3.1 Exceptions. Effective Date: Aug 01, 2009

The following basketball contests (games or scrimmages) are permitted prior to the first contest dates specified under Bylaw 17.5.3:

(a) Practice Scrimmage. An informal practice scrimmage with outside competition exempted per Bylaw 17.5.5.3-(h) may occur at any point during the permissible playing and practice season (see Bylaw 17.5.1), provided it is conducted in privacy and without publicity or official scoring. Individuals other than athletics department staff members and those necessary to conduct a basketball practice scrimmage against outside competition may not be present during such a scrimmage. The institution shall ensure that the scrimmage is free from public view. No class time shall be missed by basketball student-athletes in conjunction with such a scrimmage, including all associated activities (e.g., travel, pregame and postgame activities); and (Revised: 10/27/98 effective 8/1/99, 5/12/05, 1/14/09 effective 8/1/09, 3/2/09)

(b) Exhibition against a Non-NCAA Division I Four-Year Collegiate Institution. An exhibition contest exempted per Bylaw 17.5.5.3-(g) may occur after the date on which an institution may commence on-court preseason practice (see Bylaw 17.5.2).
    By my calculation, the first date allowable for on-court preseason practice is October 16, the Friday closest to October 15.

Edited to add: We were posting at the same time, Zag67. I'm just not as speedy as you!

Second addition: We already have two non Div. I exhibition games scheduled (at least I think those two schools aren't Div. I), and I have a fuzzy recollection there is a limit on the number allowed being two. could be wrong, though.

Quote Originally Posted by zag67 View Post
    Can they play a closed practice against a team like Texas? I know they did it last year, just wondering if it is still available to do.
    Yes.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Default Schedule Updates

Michigan State -- November 17
    Illinois -- Jan 2

God I hope that Michigan State date isn't accurate. If it is, Gonzaga could be headed for its worse loss since the Virginia game back in 2007. You don't play the best team on your sked, on the road, at that time of year with that many new players. It's also not a good way to start things off before GU travels a million and one miles to play in Maui.

CDC on the other side, it is going to make them wake up to what they have to do when they go to Hawaii. We do have a core of about 5 to 8 players that know the system and have played a year together. We know we have a super set of young players that are going to need time to mold into a team. In that game it is probably going to be a "set" of players that play as a team and the rest playing basketball using their athletic ability. If they can hold their own then it will be a great building block. If they loose badly, then they will have tapes that will be used to define what they need to work on. And lastly if they win,

FYI: I also will not be suprised to see them play a major team in a closed practice before that to allow the coaches and players to know what they have and what they need to do.

As far as I'm concerned, Bouldin, Goodson and Gray are really the only returning Zags. Sacre has been away from organized basketball so long that I basically consider him a redshirt freshman+. It's going to take him numerous games to feel comfortable again. Gibbs and Poling may have been in the system for a year, but they have never played a single D-1 game.The rest of the guys are total newcomers, and most of them haven't spent the summer getting used to their new teammates and learning one of the most complicated offenses at any level of basketball.

Scheduling a road game against an super elite opponent with a very young team can destroy its confidence for weeks on end. Youthful teams can overcome that if they face a series of cupcakes following the beat down, but the Zags won't be facing a series of cupcakes in Maui.

I am very concerned about GU suffering too many non-league losses this year because the WCC is going to be the worst it has been in ages. Scheduling is critical with a young team, and I think the timing of games is just as important as the opponents you play.

Just watch...Gonzaga goes into East Lansing and beats MSU. I'm all for it, but I am not counting on it.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Scheduling a road game against an super elite opponent with a very young team can destroy its confidence for weeks on end.
    Agree. See: Jeremy Pargo after the heartbreaking loss to UCONN/Dec '08. It affected his play/attitude/spirit for several weeks. He publicly acknowledged that it took him quite a bit of time to pick up the pieces.

Then again, some teams are built for that type of play. See: Texas Southern from last season.

Quote Originally Posted by BoltZag View Post
    Agree. See: Jeremy Pargo after the heartbreaking loss to UCONN/Dec '08. It affected his play/attitude/spirit for several weeks. He publicly acknowledged that it took him quite a bit of time to pick up the pieces.

Then again, some teams are built for that type of play. See: Texas Southern from last season.
    I'm all for getting experience and I like roughing up the newbies. BUT with that nice "run" of incompetence following the freakish UConn loss, I fail to see the wisdom in getting the kids "mugged". CDC is correct when he says the only serious (my word) returnees are the guards. Everyone else is NEW. Talented but NEW. Pickup games at K2 reveal much but they are only pickup games with the players....half of whom aren't even here.

Few's biggests challenge will be to figure out how the other 9 kids fit. Such an early season schedule is fine but MSU in mid November is just askin' for it.
    Trouble is..MSU will give it to us in spades. Beware the "Ides of Novermber"....
    Maui will be hard on this young group. Learning for the kids and the coaches is to be expected. Devastation might not help.

it's a hardball schedule to say the least. the coaches might be thinking that we have the squad who can handle this, some kids w/ the intl experience who can step right in? our returning back court can play ball and they instill confidence, but as mentioned we still have not seen any of the new guys play, so ??? there appears to be great opportunities ahead for this team to plant our flag and/or take our lumps

but they better be tough, no 2 ways about it.

this schedule to me says get tough or get lost, and let's find out who is in and who is not as soon as possible. Like a gauntlet.

no matter the schedule, it is important we win our share of these games.

on confidence, while short term pain it was, ultimately it served Jeremy and us well for him to have faced the demon in December, not March.

and as much as I do not like the rebuilding term, I could also argue that this schedule has designs on making next year's team really good, really tough.

I love this board!

GO TEAM ZAGS!!!

Couldn't agree more, bballbeachbum!

Heck, imagine if we were to beat MSU on their home court. Imagine the confidence that would instill in the team which could carry over for some of the players entire career.

Bottom Line: Our MO is to play anyone anywhere. Period. Recruits expect it. We're beginning to have a little more control in who/where/when we play but we still dont' call the shot. Getting a home and home with Wake, MSU is definitely in the right direction and will serve the team (and fans) well in the future.

GO ZAGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cjm720 View Post
    ...if we were to beat MSU on their home court...
    We probably won't beat MSU on their own court, but we don't have to.

If this game really is played in November, bballbeachbum is right, it's get tough or get lost. Losing to a superior opponent early in the season teaches the players and the coaches a ton, imho.

The Maui tourney is different, we should be competitive with everyone there. We should not EXPECT to win every game, but we should be confident that we can compete.

Against MSU, in their house, on November 17th, anticipate a loss, but what kind of a loss?

If this schedule plays, there will plenty of coaches looking into the souls of the new ZAGS. Show up... ...play tough... ...and learn!

Go ZAGS

As a wise sage said to me today, the one thing you can say about Michigan State is that they usually start off slow as a team. They generally don't play their best ball until later in the season.

I think this MSU game - again, if it is indeed that date - could possibly be a part of ESPN's round the clock kick off coverage to the college basketball season. They started doing that last season....St. Mary's was involved when they took on Fresno State. The whole thing is silly, in a way, because the first college basketball games start tipping off in early November.

[B]"Trouble is.. MSU will give it to us in spades." Probably so, but the silver lining on this dark cloud is that the Zags should be primed to return the favor "in spades" next year in K2.

As far as I'm concerned, Bouldin, Goodson and Gray are really the only returning Zags. Sacre has been away from organized basketball so long that I basically consider him a redshirt freshman+. It's going to take him numerous games to feel comfortable again. Gibbs and Poling may have been in the system for a year, but they have never played a single D-1 game.The rest of the guys are total newcomers, and most of them haven't spent the summer getting used to their new teammates and learning one of the most complicated offenses at any level of basketball.

Scheduling a road game against an super elite opponent with a very young team can destroy its confidence for weeks on end. Youthful teams can overcome that if they face a series of cupcakes following the beat down, but the Zags won't be facing a series of cupcakes in Maui.

I am very concerned about GU suffering too many non-league losses this year because the WCC is going to be the worst it has been in ages. Scheduling is critical with a young team, and I think the timing of games is just as important as the opponents you play.

Just watch...Gonzaga goes into East Lansing and beats MSU. I'm all for it, but I am not counting on it.
    you have forgotten about Will Foster lol

oh and by the way gonzaga plays WSU on dec. 2nd. posted on krem today so u might wanna change the schedule thingy. i made the WSU schedule a thread today. check it up

Default Msu

ZagNative, sorry, no link on those dates for MSU or Illinois...it was a phone call...

Default Beware the New Yorker Hotel

Advance warning: Anyone planning to go to NY to view the Duke-Zag game might be tempted to stay at the New Yorker Hotel, kitty-corner across from MSG. Beware if you order online through cut-rate hotel websites, they will give you a dank cramped room with protruding bed springs that can damge bodily organs. Ask to see the room before grabbing the key. That time of year, they should be dying for customers anyway. Okay, some of those terrible rooms have views of New Jersey (yicck)-- a far cry from the Olympics or Cascades. I've stayed at one rotten room after another there (at other's expense) and it took
    a long time to learn my lesson.

Default Sorry it took so long to update, been out of town...

This is everything that has been reported thus far, let me know if there are anymore updates...if you want me to change it quickly, send me an email at joshlinke@gmail.com.

That is one sick schedule.

I don't feel that losing at Michigan St. is going to hurt this team as badly as CDC thinks so. We will be expected to lose and probably to lose big. Who knows, we may be able to hang with them for awhile. The pressure is all on the Spartans. Losses for Zags this coming year will not be anything like losses for last years team because our expectations for last years teams were real high. Yes, last years run of, what was it four in a row, losses one after the other did not, in the end hurt the Zags last year either. The Zags finally rebounded and finished 13th in the country. It was one of our best teams ever, imo.

The expectations for this coming year are low, and most of us expect the Zags to lose some games, and probably more than last year's team. Fortunately for us, the Maui Invitational is going to be down, talent wise, this coming year, and the Zags should do well there. I think playing Michigan St helps them prepare for Maui more than it hurts them. I would always rather play tougher opponents in order to prepare my team. I also believe that playing Michigan St real early in the year is the best time for this young team to play them because Tom Isso will be experimenting a lot, as will Few. I think the Spartans are looking forward to having Gonzaga come into their home, and I am looking forward to playing them their too. I just don't think we're going to experience what we did at Virginia that year. I continue to be oppomistic. And I am glad that Mark Few has held true to his personal philosophy that the Zags will play anyone anywhere. Scheduling tough opponents this upcoming season shows his confidence in his kids and in his staff and his program. I think for him to back down because we have a lot of new faces this year would be a negative for the program. I for one say, "Great job COACH." I think playing teams like Michigan St helps us recruit. Great ballplayers look forward to playing against a Tom Isso Michigan State team. Or at least I think they do.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!