Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: !2009-2010 Schedule! (tentative, of course)

Exclamation !2009-2010 Schedule! (tentative, of course)

Of course this is tentative

Default Um...Duke

I have not heard we are playing Duke at MSG.

Somehow I doubt that.

Anyone?

Bobzag just reported it, i heard about it a couple years back that Few and coach k have been discussing a neutral series...like i said this is tentative

I thought Oklanhoma was at K2?

As Angelo explained the other day, the Oklahoma game is at Spokane Arena because it's the return game from a couple of years ago when Gonzaga played the Sooners in Oklahoma City. The game wasn't played on OU's campus in Norman.

I have also not heard about Arizona being a possible Battle in Seattle opponent. It was to my understanding that the game at Phoenix this past season was a one off game, but things can change.

The Washington State game will be at Gonzaga, not Pullman.

Thanks, thebigsmove. Nice job. I appreciate your efforts in pulling things together for us.

Im not sure if you guys noticed but i said Tentative, meaning it is subject to change, here is the update...

The Wazzu game i saw somewhere that it was in pullman, but i think they might have been talking about 2010...so i changed it to Spokane...

Default thanks

Thanks thebigsmove for your nice chart.

As we all know with Gonzaga's schedule, things are tentative until the very last minute. It would be nice if they could wrap it up earlier this time, but I am not counting on it.

Any updates from anyone on a game @ West Virginia to open the season?
    youtube - "The Runner"

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2013

Dumbing down the internet, one post at a time

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2011

Thanks for the chart

It's always nice to see how the schedule develops during the off season...

much appreciated!

mendiant
    A Zag is generous.

A Zag knows he is much more than the sum of his stats.

A Zag has a desire to be part of something that is bigger than himself.

In regards to West Virginia

from what i understand, Its still in negotiations, but essentially its going to be a home and home to be played during the ESPN Season Tip Off around Midnight Eastern time in Morgantown at WVU Arena, if ESPN keeps their lineup the same its probably going to be November 17th which is a tuesday

Anything new on whether North Dakota State will play in K2? See earlier post on that subject on guboards here.

Speculation in that thread was that the Idaho game might be skipped this year.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsmoove View Post
    In regards to West Virginia

from what i understand, Its still in negotiations, but essentially its going to be a home and home to be played during the ESPN Season Tip Off around Midnight Eastern time in Morgantown at WVU Arena, if ESPN keeps their lineup the same its probably going to be November 17th which is a tuesday
    ok, let's see, next season, GU could travel...

to West Virginia, then to Hawaii, then to Chicago, then to Seattle, and then (immediately after finals) to NYC - w/ a game or 3 in K2 mixed in, most likely against teams from the bottom 25% of the RPI...

...and that's all before Christmas break.

Sounds a bit boring.

Is there a way GU could work in a road game vs a SEC team before Christmas also...
    youtube - "The Runner"

Quote Originally Posted by lothar98zag View Post
    ok, let's see, next season, GU could travel...

to West Virginia, then to Hawaii, then to Chicago, then to Seattle, and then (immediately after finals) to NYC - w/ a game or 3 in K2 mixed in, most likely against teams from the bottom 25% of the RPI...

...and that's all before Christmas break.

Sounds a bit boring.

Is there a way GU could work in a road game vs a SEC team before Christmas also...
    Nah, the SEC is for homebodies. Why not go back to Hawaii and play @ UH? Or maybe up to Alaska for a game. That'll make 'em road-tested.

Default Duke oh yes

OH let it be Duke in the garden,six seven games under our belt and we should be ready
    Rob in nowhere AZ.

I bet that if Gonzaga plays Duke at MSG, and the Memphis series gets renewed, the Zags won't agree to play at West Virginia. The WVU game is already a dumb game to play due to the timing of it, but if they were to play it, the Zags could be facing 3 different trips to the east coast (Duke, WVU and Memphis), a trip to the midwest (Illinois) and a trip to Maui during their non-league schedule. It don't see it happening....not after what happened in 2006/07. Lesson learned.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    ... Lesson learned.
    one can hope...
    youtube - "The Runner"

I dont think the failed 06/07 season had anything to do with scheduling.
    Really? Anything? You saw a completely different team from me and many others who have followed this program for some time.

As I was watching Gonzaga getting blasted at Virginia in the most humiliating defeat of the Mark Few era, I almost threw a shoe into my TV set out of frustration. I felt like writing a 50 page letter to the GU schedulers for how stupid they were for completely ruining that team's season. I have never seen a Gonzaga team more physically and mentally exhausted in my life during that game. I remember how this board was after the game. More than just a few people were pissed at the schedulers...people who for ages had taken pride in how difficult Gonzaga schedules. Even they knew it was overdone. But we didn't have much time to sulk, because the dang schedulers put that east coast game in just a few days before league play began.....

I actually felt the suspensions helped that team in retrospect. It brought life to a team that was lifeless. Of course it made them a donut team for the NCAA tournament, but the way that team was fumbling along, they wouldn't have challenged Indiana even with Heytvelt. Some of the injuries in November and December didn't help, but I don't think any team in the country could've survived that schedule and have come out the other end a better team. No one. Their fate was determined before the season even began. It wasn't the difficulty so much as the placement of the games and the amount of travel involved. I still can't believe that they made the Zags play 5 games in 10 days during with 2 road trips during league play. I've never heard of such a thing.....especially for a program that has some sort of control over its scheduling. If they don't learn from that season's scheduling mistakes, I WILL write that 50 page letter.

Thumbs up

bingo! amen! and then some!

After the final trip to the East, Derek Raivio told me the whole team was gassed and exhausted. It's just too much to ask from these kids. Best to have less travel, some really fine games and be fresh for finals and then begin the Conference season ready to go. The kids looked like Zombies after the first of the year. I hope nobody in scheduling gets those bright ideas again. It just doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    I bet that if Gonzaga plays Duke at MSG, and the Memphis series gets renewed, the Zags won't agree to play at West Virginia. The WVU game is already a dumb game to play due to the timing of it, but if they were to play it, the Zags could be facing 3 different trips to the east coast (Duke, WVU and Memphis), a trip to the midwest (Illinois) and a trip to Maui during their non-league schedule. It don't see it happening....not after what happened in 2006/07. Lesson learned.
    Why would we play Duke at MSG? It seems both schools don't have huge alumni bases, though I'm sure many Duke alumni reside in New York, even though they have large national followings. Seems far for both schools to travel.

The MSG game is a repeat of the Dec. 2006 game where we were at MSG it is an ongoing series that has been in talks to be restarted for a couple years now, this is the first year they have been able to get it to fit both schools.

Here is the updated schedule:

Quote Originally Posted by hoopster777 View Post
    Why would we play Duke at MSG? It seems both schools don't have huge alumni bases, though I'm sure many Duke alumni reside in New York, even though they have large national followings. Seems far for both schools to travel.
    I went to the Zags/Duke game in MSG a couple years back, and Duke travels very very well. They outnumbered us mightily. MSG + GU + Duke = great game.

go zags!!

Oklahoma @ Gonzaga is set for December 29th, I believe.

Default People

MSG is Duke's second home court. I mean, come on.

I'd actually prefer to do WVU to Duke, because WVU will apparently come to Spokane and play in K2 in return. Duke would never agree to that unless it recruited a GSL kid--and even then it would be an arena game or a BIS.