• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zag 77
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Spitzer replacement search dead in water

Uh, Jebbies, maybe get a clue and keep Fr. Spitzer as President? All the guy has done is preside over a golden age at GU. I know they don't like his politics or theology, but give me a break.
  • Angelo Roncalli
    Bleeds Bulldog Blue
    • Feb 2007

From my talks with Fr. Spitzer, he is very much looking forward to working with his foundations in SoCal. He is being sought to head a Catholic university (not Jesuit) on the East Coast, but he is very hopeful that he'll be able to work with his foundations and write for a couple of years.
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Comment

• ZagnetitForce
      Kennel Club
      • Feb 2007

Vote today?

I heard a rumor there was going to be a vote today regarding a possible interim President. Anybody hear anything?

Comment

• Zag 77
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Could be almost anybody, including janitor

The late Harry Sladich served in that capacity a couple of times in his career. It could be almost anybody, including a non-Jesuit. The school charter says the permanent president has to be a Jesuit, but a lot of leeway on interim.

Maybe it will be Spitzer.

Comment

• a13coach
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

THAYNE M. McCULLOH: PRODUCT OF JESUIT EDUCATION APPOINTED GONZAGA UNIVERSITY’S INTERIM PRESIDENT

Thayne M. McCulloh today was appointed interim president at Gonzaga University, beginning mid-July. McCulloh has served the University for nearly 19 years in various administrative and academic capacities. He will serve as interim president until a search for a highly qualified and available Jesuit candidate results in the appointment of a permanent successor to Rev. Robert J. Spitzer, S.J., who will complete his 11-year term as president July 15.
          “The appointment of Dr. McCulloh as interim president gives us great optimism for the future of Gonzaga University,” said Donald Nelles, chair of the Gonzaga University Board of Trustees. “He is uniquely qualified to lead the University while the search for a Jesuit president continues. He lived the Gonzaga experience as an undergraduate, and he has led many important initiatives over the past two decades that have helped propel Gonzaga to its current stature as one of the country’s best comprehensive regional universities.”
          McCulloh, 44, has served the past two years as interim academic vice president following the departure of Stephen Freedman, who became senior vice president at Fordham University. Prior to that McCulloh was vice president for administration and planning, associate academic vice president, dean of financial services, dean of student academic services, assistant dean of students, and held several other student life positions. He has been integrally involved in shaping Gonzaga’s current strategic plan, developing its enrollment strategy, and in 2004 chaired the institution’s comprehensive institutional accreditation process. McCulloh has taught as a member of Gonzaga’s psychology department faculty and facilitated numerous student research projects. He also has served the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities as a team member and chair, engaged in evaluating the effectiveness of peer institutions in the Pacific Northwest.
          “The mission of Gonzaga is strong and well articulated,” Nelles emphasized, “and the faculty here are second-to-none. Dr. McCulloh is blessed to have a cadre of vice presidents who have a collective service to the University of well over 130 years. He knows the institution well, is an experienced administrator, and the right person at the right time in Gonzaga University’s history.”
          The institution’s strategic plan, Vision 2012, is in place and serves as a blueprint for University progress over the next five years. Prospective student applications are on par with last year’s number, and there is every indication that enrollment will hold strong in the fall. To assist in supporting the University’s efforts to keep current students enrolled, members of the Board of Trustees have formed an assistance fund for students whose families may have experienced layoffs or other financial strife in this volatile economic period.
          There are 10 kinds of people in this world.
          Those who understand binary and those who do not.
          "Only a madman or an economist thinks exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world."

Func FOO
          sigpic
          E .· ` ' / ·. F
          The FOO fuels me.

Comment

• ZagnetitForce
            Kennel Club
            • Feb 2007

THAT'S what I was looking for!!!!!!

Comment

• gu03alum
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Thayne M. McCulloh will make a great interim President.
              Bring back the OCC

Comment

• ZagnetitForce
                Kennel Club
                • Feb 2007

Couldn't agree more!

Comment

• a13coach
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gu03alum View Post
                  Thayne M. McCulloh will make a great interim President.
                  Quit trying to make points. jk
                  "Only a madman or an economist thinks exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world."

Func FOO
                  sigpic
                  E .· ` ' / ·. F
                  The FOO fuels me.

Comment

• gu03alum
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by a13coach View Post
                    Quit trying to make points. jk
                    With the economy the way it is I need to suck up to the best of my ability.
                    Bring back the OCC

Comment

• a13coach
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gu03alum View Post
                      With the economy the way it is I need to suck up to the best of my ability.
                      Oh don't worry. I hear leg irons are being made especially to keep you tethered, bean-counting be damned.

Func FOO
                      sigpic
                      E .· ` ' / ·. F
                      The FOO fuels me.

Comment

• Zag 77
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Not exactly a good sign

From today's Gonzaga Bulletin:

McCulloh said the Presidential Search Committee, of which he is a member, has not been disbanded, but is on more of a hiatus.

The next steps in the continued search will be made by the Board of Trustees.

In other words, they have no idea who they can get. Interesting that no Jesuits want the job. They are not limited to Oregon province; note that Fr. Coughlin came from St. Louis. What is scaring off the candidates? Something about the Board of Trustees? Some ticking time bomb in finance?

Comment

• a13coach
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Zag 77 View Post
                          From today's Gonzaga Bulletin:

McCulloh said the Presidential Search Committee, of which he is a member, has not been disbanded, but is on more of a hiatus.

The next steps in the continued search will be made by the Board of Trustees.

In other words, they have no idea who they can get. Interesting that no Jesuits want the job. They are not limited to Oregon province; note that Fr. Coughlin came from St. Louis. What is scaring off the candidates? Something about the Board of Trustees? Some ticking time bomb in finance?
                          It is not a question of no SJ's want to be president. It is a matter of the board finding a Jesuit that they feel can do the job. They are being very very picky. From last Feb.
                          Members of the Presidential Search Committee have been actively involved with conducting background checks and executing other due diligence procedures. As a formal personnel manner, the confidentiality of this process is of extreme importance to the Committee.

Following an initial round of interviews with the Search Committee, viable candidate(s) will be brought to campus to meet with various constituencies in March to interview with Trustees, faculty, staff, administrators and other constituencies.

In selecting a Jesuit, Gonzaga must first receive permission from the man’s religious superior. The Trustees have given their okay to open conversation with the incoming president using a chief operating officer model to assist in the multitude of demands on the president’s time and commitments, if deemed appropriate.

Func FOO
                          sigpic
                          E .· ` ' / ·. F
                          The FOO fuels me.

Comment

• Zag 77
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

Too picky, or poor field of Jesuits?

Boy, a year into this and no candidates. There was a release a few weeks ago about being turned down by some potential candidates. Remember when Spitzer got the job, he was the only candidate. Granted it was in the wake of the firing of Fr. Glynn and one can understand why the field was wary.

One has to wonder if with a declining population the Society of Jesus really has a limited number anymore of members with enough on the ball to be able to be President. I know that at the secondary school level, G-Prep and Bellarmine have had to turn to lay presidents. I will say I have a lot of admiration for the few younger Jesuits I have met.

It is hard to accuse the Board of being too picky considering how well GU stands compared to where they were before Spitzer came in.

Like somebody else wrote, the Oregon Province of Jesuits should have handled this differently in keeping Spitzer in place until they had the new guy identified, vetted and ready to go after having a chance to work under Spitzer for a while before being turned loose on his own. Remember that when Spitzer came in he had Coughlin around to show him the ropes and get up to speed.

Comment

Working...
                            X