Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WSU News Conference (& history of Spokane)

Maybe rhyme something w/ Palouse?

youtube - "The Runner"

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2013

Dumbing down the internet, one post at a time

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2011

taken from www.rhymezone.com

Words and phrases that rhyme with goose: (115 results)

1 syllable:
    boose, bruce, cheuse, coos, cruce, deuce, deuss, doose, druce, duce, foose, fuoss, hoose, juice, loose, luce, moose, mousse, noose, preuss, pruess, reuss, ruess, seuss, sluice, spruce, truce, tyus, use, zeus

2 syllables:
    abstruse, abuse, asmus, black spruce, break loose, caboose, damoose, deduce, derousse, diffuse, disuse, ekeus, excuse, fish mousse, fruit juice, grape juice, hair mousse, il duce, induce, in use, labouisse, lajous, let loose, lime juice, misuse, obtuse, produce, profuse, recluse, reduce, red spruce, reuse, seduce, slip noose, vanhoose, white spruce

3 syllables:
    apple juice, brewer's spruce, cancer juice, carrot juice, chicken mousse, child abuse, chocolate mousse, disabuse, douglas spruce, drug abuse, eastern spruce, flag of truce, gastric juice, genus zeus, grapefruit juice, introduce, lemon juice, norway spruce, on the loose, orange juice, out of use, reproduce, running noose, silver spruce, weeping spruce, yellow spruce

4 syllables:
    carnal abuse, context of use, cranberry juice, digestive juice, drug of abuse, engelmann spruce, overproduce, papaya juice, pineapple juice, reintroduce, robert the bruce, substance abuse, tobacco juice, tomato juice

5 syllables:
    alcohol abuse, colorado spruce, frozen orange juice, oriental spruce, pancreatic juice, siberian spruce

6 syllables:
    alcoholic abuse, colorado blue spruce

7 syllables:
    alcoholism abuse
    Agent provocateur

Frozen orange juice! That's it! Palouse Frozen Oranje Juice! Brilliant!

Or not. All the good names are taken, some of them probably several times over. I always liked the Backyard Brawl. It needs to be something evocative like that. Hmmm...

We could call it the Annual Butt Kicking... oh, wait - that would be if we still played the Huskies. My bad.

Default this new/old title incoporates ALL

<<Bocco wrote: Don't think Boyle Fuel exists any more, but The Red Lion Hotels and could be added to the list. >>

extinct GU area businesses/institutions . . .

The Boyle Fuel, Colonial Bowl, Irish Dutch Inn, Fallons, Addison Food Shop, Winkler Broom, Tonani's Hardware, Univeristy Pharmacy, Joey's, Joe & Morrie's IGA, Dairy Freeze, O'Neill's, Barstone Fuel, E.C. Olsen, Daley Burger, The Chef, Philips 66, Holy Names Academy, Gonzaga High School, McGoldrick's, Old Man Paul, Fr. deSmet annual WSU-GU basketball game and nostalgia fest.

Quote Originally Posted by gamagin View Post
    <<Bocco wrote: Don't think Boyle Fuel exists any more, but The Red Lion Hotels and could be added to the list. >>

The Boyle Fuel, Colonial Bowl, Irish Dutch Inn, Fallons, Addison Food Shop, Winkler Broom, Tonani's Hardware, Univeristy Pharmacy, Joey's, Joe & Morrie's IGA, Dairy Freeze, O'Neill's, Barstone Fuel, E.C. Olsen, Daley Burger, The Chef, Philips 66, Holy Names Academy, Gonzaga High School, McGoldrick's, Old Man Paul, Fr. deSmet annual WSU-GU basketball game and nostalgia fest.

Addison Food Market? The Daily Burger? Good grief man, how are you still alive? I thought I was the only one on this board old enough to remember these establishments!!! And "Irish Dutch Inn?" Where was this? I'm thinking of Dutch's Blue & White, the fountain/restaurant in a house near the Ad building. Is O'Neil's the old Bernie's Tavern at Mission and Hamilton? The Chef, of course, had honorable lineage going back to the original Twenty-Four Flavors ...

Default zagnative

<< Addison Food Market? The Daily Burger? Good grief man, how are you still alive? I thought I was the only one on this board old enough to remember these establishments!!! And "Irish Dutch Inn?" Where was this? I'm thinking of Dutch's Blue & White, the fountain/restaurant in a house near the Ad building. Is O'Neil's the old Bernie's Tavern at Mission and Hamilton? The Chef, of course, had honorable lineage going back to the original Twenty-Four Flavors ...>>

I forgot the old five and dime (mission & Hamilton b4 the old safeway moved in), ernies (gas station @ nw corner mission and hamilton); frankie augusts (joey's brother-- where geno's is), the barber shop (same place a few feet south and now part of geno's parking lot), the Norge village/Kinko's, Manlowe Transfer (later United Buckingham & now ezloader trailer), taylor Edwards (now the warehouse).

But to your question, Dutch and mae ryan's place had many names, I blv the original was the Irish Dutch inn, later to be known as the blue and white and also Dutch's. The 24 flavors opened, as, if I recall correctly, a donut shop. the doughnut operators decided they could make more money on drugs, so it then became 24 flavors (that or the other way around). Daley burger was many things before, too, but the earliest one I remember was Peter Potter's (a restaurant run by an alcoholic by that name). I worked at both dutch's and Potters, as well as the Dairy Freeze (opened by Frank Almond, then run by Mike Aquino, then ray Martire and finally Frank Martire before it became Arnie's). I'm sure I've left some out. Like the trolley. But I never saw the trolley, just the tracks.

best regards,

For every heating problem,
    Be your furnace old or new,
    Just call the Boyle Fuel Company,
    And we'll solve them all for you.
    Fairfax 8-1521!
    Fairfax 8-1521!

Two of the Sontgerath sisters live in my neighborhood in Seattle. Every time we have a neighborhood party or get together, we join arms and sing the anthem of our youth.

Other gone-but-not-forgotten-businesses (many of which appear under earlier names above):

One Hour Martinizing (One Hour Mutilating--beat into flour in just one hour)
    Dr. Gordon Windle and Dr. Frank Morton's offices
    Forum Tavern
    Pakies
    Taco Mejico (Toxic Mejico)
    Chad'sFoodsChad'sFoodsChad'sFoodsChad'sFoods
    The Butcher of Hamilton (one chair barbershop--can't remember the proprietor's name)
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Default remember the twins ?

when you need coal or OILLLLLLLLLL
    CaLLLLLL BOYLLLLLLe

fairfax 5-1521 . . . fairfax 5-1521

and now (your host for starlit stairway) . . . . TED OTTO ! ! !

--

re: One Hour Martinizing (One Hour Mutilating--beat into flour in just one hour)
    Dr. Gordon Wendle and Dr. Frank Morton's offices (and Dr. Nishimura) + couple of dentists (Dill?)

Forum Tavern (Originally Bernies, consisted of three old streetcars cobbled together)

Pakies (originally Fallons, across from Dutch's which later became the GU post office)

Taco Mejico (Toxic Mejico) -- formerly another gas station.

Chad'sFoodsChad'sFoodsChad'sFoodsChad'sFoods - (the old IGA, now starbucks & a bagle shop)

The Butcher of Hamilton (one chair barbershop--can't remember the proprietor's name). the difference between and good and a bad haircut -- 3 days.

--

University Pharmacy - Bill Stevens, proprietor, druggist, RIP, (now part of Joey's/Jack & Dan's)

hondo Guest

And of course Lou's Snappy Service

Default hondo

<< wrote : And of course Lou's Snappy Service >>

lou tonani ?

saintzag Guest

Hank the barber. Next to Mays.

Default good one !

<< Hank the barber. Next to Mays. >>

Zappone Industries (w. of GU Music Bldg); the original Bulldog Tavern (now Pete's Pizza.

Trivia: the current Bulldog Tav. is made up of 2 sections of the old WW II barracks that used to be Gonzaga High School (which was located roughly where Welch Hall now stands on campus). that small building next to it (clothing store or candle shop or whatever) is also a portion of the old GHS.

Pretty accurate so far. Here are some correction/additions.
    The Chef started out in life as Johnson's 24 Flavors, an ice cream shop. The elder Johnsons lived in the back, and the son pretty much ran the biz. It lasted only 2 or maybe 3 years. The 2nd opening it was a donut shop and frequented by motorcyclcists. I think maybe the "drug" thing was urban legend, but I can't say for sure. The rumor swirled because of the Harley jockeys. The 3rd life of the blg was when it became a Spudnut (out of SLC) franchise run by 2 guys. One was named Cecil, and he drove us neighborhood kids around and we sold fresh Spudnuts door to door. Finally Vince Piccolo opened it up as the Chef 2, later it became the only store. His other one was on the fringe of downtown I think.

Before it was One Hour Martinizing, it was a Phillips 66 service station. When they opened up OHM, it was .05 a shirt to be laundered and pressed. There were several dry cleaners in the area, one was either next door to the Dalyburger, or in the same location, which was across Hamilton from the Marshall Wells Hardware Store, which I think was Tonani's.
    Dr Nishimura also practiced in the same bldg where Wendle et al were.

Bill Stevens was a commanding figure up on the pharmacist stage at the back of the store. His mother was also in the store every day. Remember the sort of wild looking redhead that worked there? She always had big earrings, and at Christmas she would wear small Christmas ornaments as same.
    The Bulldog was originally in a ramshackle two story blgd, just W of and adjacent to it's present location. When it was in it's original location, practically no students went in there. There was living quarters upstairs. How can you guys forget the mainstay bartender there? her name was Minnie. The old Bulldog bldg was rented by many after that. It was a small arcade with Skiball machines for awhile, then a place where you could get E Texas/Louisiana style BBQ and jerky. Last thing I remember in there was Custom Duck Leather Co, during the hippie era.

I'm pretty sure the Barber next to August's Resaurant was named Bill, he played the banjo in small dixieland bands too. There was also a barber located in the front part of the 1st house E of the old Safeway. He was there for 2 or 3 years until he got busted for molesting young boys. That one shocked a few people.

Safeway was originally on the SE corner of Mission and Hamilton. It was actually pretty neat. It had the sawdust on the wooden floors. When they expanded, they bought the 5 & 10 next door (Sprouse Reitz) and doubled their size. The 2 mainstay cashiers were Katie and Barnie. I'll never forget the look on Katie's face the first time I was legal and came up to the counter with a case of beer.

Bernies was owned by Bernie O'neil and was the name most remembered for the tavern made out of 3 street cars on Hamilton just S of Mission. It was originally called the Mission Gardens. After Bernies, it was the Forum, I believe Jack Raney had an interest in it. The dry cleaners on the SW corner was originally a tiny Chevron Station operated for several years by Harry Frazier, Greg's dad. They put the DC operation into the mechanics part of the place.

I loved the Addison Grocery. It was another tiny place, right on the alley between Mission and Augusta, W side of the street. I think the name of the lady that ran it was Kerry, she was sweet. We would go there to buy candy at lunch time from St Al's. She too was always accompanied by her mother. Either her ex husband or her father was an FBI man, or so she said.

There was a house located where the Norge ended up. It had been for sale for years, and finally Ray Martire bought it after he started running the Freeze, Within about a year, the Norge people came in and leased the place from him and built the laundromat DC.

Th place you call Earnies, had to be the old Shell Service Station. There was another self service DC and laundromat at Augusta and Hamilton, NW corner. Don't have any idea what's there now, but there was yet another service station at Sharp and Hamilton NE corner.

EC Olson Lumberyard was also known as Diamond National and , oh crap, the original name escapes me just now. You also forgot that Riblett Tramway was located down there by EZ Loader before it moved up Hamilton to where it curves into Nevada

OK, my brain is fried.

Birddog

PS The original singers for Leon Boyle were the Sylte Sisters. Anybody besides me remember "Mr Engineer and Mr Pufferbelly"? How about "daddy Addy Bobkins"? OK, I know you'll remember "Lucky Larry Lujack"

Default birddog wrote

<< After Bernies, it was the Forum, I believe Jack Raney had an interest in it. >>

Frank Raney (Jack's bro) & Don McNall, both GU-G prep grads owned it as the Forum. Just to try and get "some" basketball in here, Frank's georgous daughter is Blake Stepp's girlfriend.

<< The place you call Ernies, had to be the old Shell Service Station.>>

yup. Mike Davis wound up with it. It's now a car wash.

<< EC Olson Lumberyard was also known as Diamond National and , oh crap, the original name escapes me just now.>>

Mcgoldrick's it was at the turn of the century.

<< Don't have any idea what's there now, but there was yet another service station at Sharp and Hamilton NE corner.>>

Hi Co service station and stuff (like 7-11)

Default Boyle Fuel

I got drafted in the early 70's & sent to SoCal. Another guy @ my camp was from Kalispell; he had also grown up watching TV out of Spokane. We got many an "interested" look when we broke out the Boyle Fuel Song in unison.

hondo Guest

Default Which?

when gamagin wrote
    "Mcgoldrick's it was at the turn of the century."
    It was that other century.

Yes it was Lou Tanani's place and boys from 630 E. Sharp did their best to keep him in business.
    Last edited by hondo; 04-02-2007 at 04:52 PM. Reason: addition

I waited tables (badly) at Johnson's Twenty-Four Flavors. At the time, Frank Burgess and Jean Claude Lefabvre played hoops for the Zags. I don't recall them ever coming into the restaurant, though I would often see Jean Claude towering above the congregation at Sunday Mass at St. Al's.

"Eleanor" was a frequent customer at Twenty-Four Flavors. Hard to describe Eleanor, but those of a certain age may recall that interesting lady who lived her life in the Gonzaga neighborhood as a perpetual teenager. She, too, is one of those landmark institutions that eventually disappeared from view.

Default hondo

re: mcgoldricks. Of course, that was turn of the 18th century.

Re Lou tonani's: arguably the best screws in town. now home of the best pizza: David's (at least the back room)

"Eleanor"
    Wow, a blast form the past. I think Eleanor (who was obviously "challenged") worked for the nuns (Sister of Charity and Providence) over at St Joseph's Old Folks Home, in the kitchen IIRC. So if you remember her, then you must remember "Alaska Jack", who was quite the dapper character.

Birddog

This thread has been hijacked a couple times already, but to answer one of the secondary questions,
    OK all you with great marketing minds, time to use your wits. What would be a good name for this rivalry? What can we call eastern Washington hoops? Something like Tobacco Road in Carolina?
    How about the "Grain Elevator Grudge Match"

Birddog

PS
    Someone needs to transfer all this local history over to "May's Blue and White".

hondo Guest

Someone needs to transfer all this local history over to "May's Blue and White".

Someone needs to write a book because that was the most interesting neighborhood this side of Middlearth. Maybe that was Middlearth.

Quote Originally Posted by gamagin View Post

Don't forget The Pine Shed on Division (what a dump but cheap drinks), Packy's (next to Rebmon now a perking lot), Bubble Inn, and the Windmill Tavern on Trent.

Birddog is my childhood alter ego, though we've never met, so many memories do we share of the unique neighborhood in which we grew up.

Yes, indeed, I do remember Alaska Jack. Were Alaska Jack alive today, I suspect he'd be on one of those posters of suspicious characters to watch out for in your neighborhood.

Logan neighborhood, indeed. Whose brilliant idea was that? To apply a generic, on-the-fringe name to a neighborhood that was so overwhelmingly Catholic, so overwhelmingly St. Al's and Gonzaga?

It was (and remains) a unique niche in Spokane and a great place to grow up.

Gonzaga University has been the glue that's held it together and helped it retain and develop its unique character, especially in recent years.

Default old friends, zagnative you triggered this . .

• alaska jack (source of all my jacknives)
    • eleanor, about the size of a jockey and a sweet, fragile lady
    • Bucky, the giraffe-like spastic who tried very hard to fit in and be treated as normal, and failed
    • Old Man Paul, who lived in a shack down by the river near the east end of the centennial bridge where it tapers back to the ground over Hamilton street. Paul used to get roaring drunk and goose-step around the neighborhood shouting orders, or perhaps instructions, to himself, in Polish
    • Pa John, who built additions on, around and above his home on north Cinncinatti, until he fell off one of his additions one day
    • boner, who taught me to smoke and drink
    • John, my deaf friend, who taught me to read lips. & steal.
    • Joe and Morrie, who taught me the consequences of stealing
    • mom, who taught me the consequences of smoking and drinking and stealing.
    • Fr. Michael O'malley, who said "very good" after each visit to his confessional. repeatedly.
    • My bros, who taught me how to hop trains, park cars in neighborhood yards and keep the fees and take a punch.

Hats off. Bottoms up. And thanks for the memories.