Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: WSU News Conference (& history of Spokane)

Default WSU News Conference (& history of Spokane)

What could this mean??

http://www.krem.com/

Probably a new contract...

http://www.spokesmanreview.com/blogs/wsu/
    youtube - "The Runner"

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2013

Dumbing down the internet, one post at a time

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2011

Next thing you know they are going to have a news conference everytime he ties his shoes. They need a press conference for a new contract?

Default 7 years

7 year extension is the word on the street. If true that is huge for WSU and very worthy of a news conference.
    Last edited by Angelo Roncalli; 12-16-2008 at 05:42 AM.

With the state the WSU program has been in, this news is press conference worthy.

Agreed. Seeing as there has been much speculation on him going back to the Midwest, it is needed for there to be a press conference. UDUBB has done it. I think the two state schools are doing this because of the many boosters and the fact they are in a big time conference. If this were in the Big 10, I am sure there would be a press conference if Tony tied his shoes.

This wouldn't necessarily prevent him from taking another job, would it? With a contract that long would another school have to buyout the rest of his contract, effectively making him too expensive for another program to consider?

Quote Originally Posted by ZagMania View Post
    This wouldn't necessarily prevent him from taking another job, would it? With a contract that long would another school have to buyout the rest of his contract, effectively making him too expensive for another program to consider?
    They didn't release details, but that is the speculation, that there is a big buyout in it.

Another reason for the press conference, and timing especially, was to let any potential suitors at the Final Four know that he is off the market.

Quote Originally Posted by cougs4ever View Post
    They didn't release details, but that is the speculation, that there is a big buyout in it.

Another reason for the press conference, and timing especially, was to let any potential suitors at the Final Four know that he is off the market.
    Makes sense, thanks.

Default :)

nicely done by Sterk and WSU.

this is good for us if he can keep his teams playing at a high level. We saw the downsides of having to travel across the country to get a big game. It wouldbe great if we could get a top 50 team every year with only an hour bus ride...not to mention a good game at home every other year

Default Rivalry

With the UWe dropping the Zags, because the UWe can't win, maybe GU-WSU can become the marquee college basketball game in December! How cool would that be??!!? I don't know the Cougs' complete non-conference schedule, but the Zags game has to be at the top.

Who needs the west-siders, anyways?

That wouldn't be much of a stretch as long as they stay good. I'd like for a game at the Arena or another neutral site, though, like it has been, rather than a home-and-home since we're so close.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevtelen View Post
    That wouldn't be much of a stretch as long as they stay good. I'd like for a game at the Arena or another neutral site, though, like it has been, rather than a home-and-home since we're so close.
    This would be a great game for the Arena. Although, I'm sure the EWU-GU game will return there next season, and remain there. Unless the NCAAs are in the Arena, there really isn't a limit on the number of game Gonzaga can play there, just a lot of season-ticket holders to explain it to.

Default GU-WSU Rivalry

I'd love to see this happen. Since UDUB would rather play Nichols State and any multiple directional school it can find, it would be great to see the WSU and GU game get some national exposure. A late November Saturday game at the Arena would be the way to do it, with hopefully either CBS or ABC broadcasting it. With the success of the Cougs this year, coupled with the fact that both teams should be top 25 worthy next year, now is the time to strike. In light of both schools recent record against UDUB, this should be billed as the battle for state supremacy in college hoops.

Default Heck no

I would be seriously pissed off if WSU and GU changed the series from being home and home to being at the arena. The atmosphere at the arena cannot even come close to touching the atmosphere the last two years, at GU and at WSU, for these games. I attended those games (heck I could throw the year before that at pullman in also, it was a fun atmosphere) and both were alot of fun. The student sections and the alums got into both of those games.

What exactly would the arena bring to this equation? I know the players don't like playing there. It doesn't seat more than Beasly and it isn't nicer than the mac.

I think it would be absolutely great if somehow, ESPN decided to pick up this game next year! Now wouldn't that just curl Romar's toes! Talk about National exposure! Oh, forgot, can't get any of that playing the Zags!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Asotin View Post
    What exactly would the arena bring to this equation? I know the players don't like playing there. It doesn't seat more than Beasly and it isn't nicer than the mac.
    More seats than K2.

I like having the vocal student sections at each venue. I don't know if having a "neutral" site would be a selling point to the coaches or not.

Default reply

More seats than K2 but Gu would have to split the gate with WSU. The only party that would benefit would be the casual fans who won't drive all the way to Pulman or can't get into K2.

Default Gu - Wsu

I'd buy tickets and drive from Seattle to see this game in the Arena next year. I normally see 3 or 4 GU games a year live, all road games or neutral sites because I've been unable to get K2 tix. I love the Arena games because it allows the die hard fans, like myself (and others who live out of town) who don't have season tix, the opportunity to see them live in Spokane. If done right this could be a great opportunity for both school to get additional national exposure.

Default I see

I see where you are coming from, but as a loyal season ticket holder moving this game would screw me over. The price of my season tickets wouldn't go down, but a quality game would be removed from my season ticket package. Also if ESPN wanted to pick this game up each year, venue wouldn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by ZaggyStardust View Post
    I think it would be absolutely great if somehow, ESPN decided to pick up this game next year! Now wouldn't that just curl Romar's toes! Talk about National exposure! Oh, forgot, can't get any of that playing the Zags!!!!!!
    To heck with ESPN, better yet how about CBS picking it up on a national broadcast?

Default Name for the game?

OK all you with great marketing minds, time to use your wits. What would be a good name for this rivalry? What can we call eastern Washington hoops? Something like Tobacco Road in Carolina?

Off the top of my head:

The Spokane Challenge
    Inland Empire Throw Down
    The Battle for Washington
    Palouse Road Rumble

Obviously, I am an accountant with little creative skills here.

War over Wheat Fields
    Agent provocateur

Quote Originally Posted by cougs4ever View Post
    Obviously, I am an accountant with little creative skills here.
    Aren't you being redundant?
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world.
    Those who understand binary and those who do not.
    "Only a madman or an economist thinks exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world."

Func FOO

E .· ` ' / ·. F
    The FOO fuels me.