Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Harsh critique of Daye at SI

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    17,250 miles East of Spokane
    Posts
    17,857

    Default Harsh critique of Daye at SI

    1. Austin Daye, sophomore forward, Gonzaga. "He has had an awful year. Just awful. At the start of the year I had him rated in my top five, and now I don't have him in the first round. He makes some shots, but he doesn't rebound enough, he's not very tough, he doesn't cover. He just hasn't done what we all thought he would do. But he's playing for a high-profile team, they should have a couple of games at least in the tournament, and maybe he can right the ship.''


    The quote is attributed to a scout.

    Edit to add, I don't agree with this statement at all. I'm not posting it because its negative, I post all Gonzaga info from the major news sources. I should have made that point more clear when I posted this. Hopefully this will fire up Austin today.
    Last edited by 23dpg; 03-21-2009 at 10:09 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Just north of I-80
    Posts
    47,688

    Default

    All of those comments have been made on this board at one time or another.

    Not sure why they need to be rehashed now. . .?

  3. #3
    bartruff1 Guest

    Default If Austin stays 4 years...

    I would not be at all surprised that he makes All American and is a lottery pick...he will shut up his critics on the court..

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,745

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    1. Austin Daye, sophomore forward, Gonzaga. "He has had an awful year. Just awful. At the start of the year I had him rated in my top five, and now I don't have him in the first round. He makes some shots, but he doesn't rebound enough, he's not very tough, he doesn't cover. He just hasn't done what we all thought he would do. But he's playing for a high-profile team, they should have a couple of games at least in the tournament, and maybe he can right the ship.''


    The quote is attributed to a scout.
    Doesn't rebound enough? Austin ranks 14th in the country at 8.8 defensive rbs per/40. Besides, how many rebounds is a guy supposed to get on a team with another 6'11" guy and a 6'8" wing with hops who also boards and a couple oversized guards who also board? Nice critique, a-hole.
    “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    9,475

    Default here's what i have to say about the scout

    1. the scout, clearly a rookie. "He has had an awful year. Just awful. At the start of the year I had him rated in my top five, and now I don't have him as even employable. He makes some selections, but he doesn't study his prospectss enough, he's not very smart, he doesn't put in the time. He just hasn't done what we all thought he would do: show any acuity much less read the reports. But he's schlepping for a high-profile blog, they should have a couple of mods at least monitor the guy. Maybe he can sober up and right his career."


    The quote is attributed to gamagin

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    1,317

    Default Scouts?

    The scouts who said Ed O'Bannon, or Jonathan Bender, or Dajuan Wagner, or would be the NBA's leading scorer for a decade?

    The scouts who labeled Kwame, Big Country Reeves and Michael Olowkandi as the next great big men and can't miss top picks?

    The ones who didn't think that Michael Redd, Manu Ginobili, or Gilbert Arenas were worth first round picks?


    I know it's a wide brush to paint with. There are probably some great scouts out there...but for the most part I tend to group them in with meteorologists in terms of accuracy.

    Austin is an outstanding player with a load of potential and I couldn't be happier that he's a Zag.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Maple Valley, WA
    Posts
    3,228

    Default

    I understand where that comment comes from - from an NBA perspective, Daye isn't ready. However, just about all of his problems could be fixed with one solution: get stronger! If he's stronger/tougher, he is more consistent/less susceptable to being bodied, a better rebounder (his drive is usually there, he just doesn't have the strength to get it done all the time in the paint). Also, when his body catches up with what he wants to do, I bet the occasional attitude will evaporate. I think loosng last summer hurt him a lot more than many anticipated.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    921

    Default

    At least we know he'll be coming back next year.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    South Hill, Spokane
    Posts
    4,421

    Default



    the zags best shot blocker an rebounder in school history by the time he leaves is soft? thats the dumbest thing ive hear in a long time. austin rebounds and blocks with the best of them. what a moron this guy is.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Maple Valley, WA
    Posts
    3,228

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zag79 View Post


    the zags best shot blocker an rebounder in school history by the time he leaves is soft? thats the dumbest thing ive hear in a long time. austin rebounds and blocks with the best of them. what a moron this guy is.

    Best shot-blocker I agree with. Best rebounder? Not sure I'll annoit him as that yet. He has improved a lot this year, though. With a healthy summer, I think he'll make a huge jump next season.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    154

    Default

    Personally, I couldnt care less about what the scouts say. He's a good player, and a joy to watch most of the time. He's helped us win a lot of games, and Im expecting him to help us win a lot more.

  12. #12

    Default

    I doubt it very much. This kid needs to hustle.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    6,734

    Default

    Classic!

    Quote Originally Posted by gamagin View Post
    1. the scout, clearly a rookie. "He has had an awful year. Just awful. At the start of the year I had him rated in my top five, and now I don't have him as even employable. He makes some selections, but he doesn't study his prospectss enough, he's not very smart, he doesn't put in the time. He just hasn't done what we all thought he would do: show any acuity much less read the reports. But he's schlepping for a high-profile blog, they should have a couple of mods at least monitor the guy. Maybe he can sober up and right his career."


    The quote is attributed to gamagin

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    1,581

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zag79 View Post


    the zags best shot blocker an rebounder in school history by the time he leaves is soft? thats the dumbest thing ive hear in a long time. austin rebounds and blocks with the best of them. what a moron this guy is.
    Austin IS soft

    He seems to be coming around of late (banging down low more and such) and will only get stronger...but he IS pretty soft right now
    I am working on being a more all around square.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,330

    Default patience

    Keep in mind that the scout is speaking about Daye and this year's NBA draft. Austin is a 4 year player. He is still developing. As Coach Few says, Gonzaga will never see how good he is going to become.

    I wish some of these scouts would just shut up and realize what college basketball does for their league. Not everyone is meant to be a NBA baller after 1 or 2 years. Some kids have to develop. It is to their benefit that they stop commenting and speculating about players who are so obviously not ready for their league yet instead of handing out criticism like this. It's like flogging a horse that's just learning how to run at the race track.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    South Hill, Spokane
    Posts
    4,421

    Default

    Best shot-blocker I agree with. Best rebounder? Not sure I'll annoit him as that yet. He has improved a lot this year, though. With a healthy summer, I think he'll make a huge jump next season.
    shot blocker yes, rebounding will be. you said what i meant. but as far as

    Austin IS soft
    if the teams best rebounder, best shot blocker, and top3 scorer is "soft", give me 5 of him. wow.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Napa, CA
    Posts
    4,523

    Default

    While some of us may groan at Austin's consistency, I'd much rather have him playing for us than against us any day of the week. Give him time, he's still young, and I wouldnt be surprised to see him go nuclear like Adam did his junior year.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    9,202

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by webspinnre View Post
    While some of us may groan at Austin's consistency, I'd much rather have him playing for us than against us any day of the week. Give him time, he's still young, and I wouldnt be surprised to see him go nuclear like Adam did his junior year.
    I wouldn't have been surprised if Austin went postal last night. Don't get me wrong, I'm damn glad he's a Zag, but last night was not one of his better games.

    I won't blame him if an NBA team wants to write him a check for millions, but he's not ready for the NBA. One more year in Zagland would be my recommendation to Austin.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    6,850

    Default No Worries About Austin

    AD will be just fine. Might take some time to bring it all together, but he has the complete package.

    I'd hate to have him playing for an opponent against the Zags.
    "The best players will play. That's the way it will always be." Larry Bird

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Maple Valley, WA
    Posts
    3,228

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    I wouldn't have been surprised if Austin went postal last night. Don't get me wrong, I'm damn glad he's a Zag, but last night was not one of his better games.

    I won't blame him if an NBA team wants to write him a check for millions, but he's not ready for the NBA. One more year in Zagland would be my recommendation to Austin.
    Austin's been pretty dissapointing in the tourney so far. I really hope he can have a good game against UNC, but I'm not holding my breath. He definitely needs another year in college IMO.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    3,067

    Default Daye

    Daye is a good player and is much improved although he is perhaps progressing more slowly than some of us would like, especially when it comes to "toughness" in the paint. If he does not go to the NBA this summer I look for great things from him as a Bulldog for another year or two.

    For now, I hope Daye and the coaching staff can find a way to manage Daye's emotional displays in the UNC game. UNC is going to have the crowd, the media and probably the refs in their hip pocket on Friday. Darn few people in the Memphis arena are going to care about Daye's opinion on anything. He needs to "Shut Up and Play" (no disrespect intended to Daye and with apologies to the Dixie Chicks).

    Go Bulldogs!
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kettle Falls
    Posts
    695

    Default Leg Brace

    Was last night's game the first this year that Austin didn't wear a brace?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •