Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beat Western Kentucky

Default Beat Western Kentucky

As you'll see in these stats, WKU wins by an average of 5.4 pts by averaging 71.9 ppg and giving up 66.5 ppg. The Toppers average 36.9% from three and 44.9% overall from the field. They rebound 37 per game, give up 32.1.

http://www.wkusports.com/ViewContent...ONTENT_ID=3806

See the same team stat categories for Gonzaga--

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/...tive-stats.pdf

Of the teams the Zags have played this season, I view the Toppers as being similar in style to Tennessee, and to a lesser extent Oklahoma State. I don't think any team in the WCC resembles them much, and even to a more lesser extent, Maryland.

My gameplan?

Attack the rim (sound familiar?)
    Take good, smart shots
    Play hard, hustling defense
    Control the boards
    Run, but a controlled, organized run, not one-on-one streetball run

The Zags beating WKU last season when they had 1st-round pick Courtney Lee and a very good Tyrone Brazelton has only a slight bearing on this game. Imo, play the Toppers like the Zags played the Vols.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Quote Originally Posted by BobZag View Post
    The Zags beating WKU last season when they had 1st-round pick Courtney Lee and a very good Tyrone Brazelton has only a slight bearing on this game. Imo, play the Toppers like the Zags played the Vols.
    Heytvelt didn't play against WKU last year.

Need to get a big lead early to put the crowd out of it. You know alot of Fuskie fans will be cheering for the upset.

All Pargo needs to do is attack. He's get 20 free throw attempts. He's a powerful guard with speed , bulk and he can drive nearly anytime he wants.

Other than that, Defense is key....and Josh et al must hit the boards. WKU is a lot like us. It's not a "mugging" type team.it's a good all around good team with finesse. They have 5 kids in double figures.....as do we ( nearly). Diverse, balanced group. A few of those kids were on the team we beat in the Alaska Shootout. Courtney Lee is gone but now they're more balanced.

We go at them hard, rebound and dig in on defense, we win. BEAT WESTERN KENTUCKY!!!!

Go Zags. Beat WKU.

The Zags need to go to Josh in the post more tomorrow in the early stages of the game. Their offense always gets on track faster if they throw it in to him early on.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    The Zags need to go to Josh in the post more tomorrow in the early stages of the game. Their offense always gets on track faster if they throw it in to him early on.
    WKU also doesn't have a big man that can match up with Josh inside. Kerush (sp?) is good, but a lot shorter. I'm not sure he can handle Josh on the block.

I read in one of the articles after yesterday's game that Austin said he was a little tight or shaken in the Akron game. I hope he is over that now and plays like we know he can. His D was fine vs Akron (the blocks were great), but his offense wasn't what it might have been. If the team isn't hitting 3's, Austin really needs to be on his mid-range game.

Methow, WA (near a known Mark Few fishing hole)

I'm a little worried about WKU's ability to hit the three's especially that they have multiple players with good numbers. I'd hate to see our defense getting lost behind screens or collapsing into the paint while leaving open shooters on the perimeter. I wonder if Mark will play a lot of man2man tomorrow?
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright

Beat everyone, and enjoy drinking from a chalice filled with their salty tears.
    Surfmonkey89

The posts/comments above sum up our keys to victory:

-Attack the rim
    -Get Josh involved early on
    -Tough perimeter defense
    -Control the boards

Sound good to me, the only glaring point missing:

HOPE the Mighty Hilltoppers go cold from 3pt, because our team has never defended the perimeter effectively against a great 3pt shooting team. We've out scored them, out hustled them, out rebounded them, out talented them, but never, ever defended it well. While we are one of the best defenses inside the line, we're also one of the worst(205th) in guarding the three. WKU has five, count it, five significant players that shoot over 35% from downtown. They shot 48% as a team versus one of the best perimeter defenses in the country(Illinois).

Its pretty simple really, if WKU makes 10+ 3's we most likely will lose badly. If we hold them under 30% from 3 and they make less than 10 three's, we'll probably win going away.

Go Zags!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nevtelen View Post
    WKU also doesn't have a big man that can match up with Josh inside. Kerush (sp?) is good, but a lot shorter. I'm not sure he can handle Josh on the block.
    From the three times I've seen WKU play, I'll have to disagree on this one. Don't sleep on WKU's Jeremy Evans. He's a lanky and athletic 6'10" forward that resembles a less-polished Ronny Turiaf. He's only 210 lbs, but has a 7'2" wingspan and can jump out of the gym. While Heytvelt's stronger, he's not nearly as quick. I assume he'll front Heytvelt all night long. Every time Illinois attempted a drive and dunk last night, he was there to swat it away...cleanly. He doesn't score a ton(8.5ppg) but he makes his presence known all over the court.

Lastly, WKU is a horrific match-up for the Zags, IMO. They're fast, athletic, strong and can shoot lights out. They are height challenged, but make up for it with their penetration, shear athleticism, and shooting ability. The best comparison I can think of is Villanova. BZ compared them earlier to Tennessee and I would say he's right on, except WKU shoots better, waaaayyy better from every position. They would most likely blow Tennessee off the court, similar to what they did vs. Louisville earlier this year.

We're going to have our hand full with these guys. We must defend the three and their ability to dribble, drive, and kick out to open shooters. This is their entire offense. As CDC eluded to, I'd like to see Meech/Pargo/Gray on the floor at the same time for defensive purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldwinzag View Post
    From the three times I've seen WKU play, I'll have to disagree on this one. Don't sleep on WKU's Jeremy Evans. He's a lanky and athletic 6'10" forward that resembles a less-polished Ronny Turiaf. He's only 210 lbs, but has a 7'2" wingspan and can jump out of the gym. While Heytvelt's stronger, he's not nearly as quick.
    Really? How fast is this kid?! For a big, Josh is lightning fast...
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Few
    We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

From the three times I've seen WKU play, I'll have to disagree on this one. Don't sleep on WKU's Jeremy Evans. He's a lanky and athletic 6'10" forward that resembles a less-polished Ronny Turiaf. He's only 210 lbs, but has a 7'2" wingspan and can jump out of the gym. While Heytvelt's stronger, he's not nearly as quick. I assume he'll front Heytvelt all night long. Every time Illinois attempted a drive and dunk last night, he was there to swat it away...cleanly. He doesn't score a ton(8.5ppg) but he makes his presence known all over the court.

Lastly, WKU is a horrific match-up for the Zags, IMO. They're fast, athletic, strong and can shoot lights out. They are height challenged, but make up for it with their penetration, shear athleticism, and shooting ability. The best comparison I can think of is Villanova. BZ compared them earlier to Tennessee and I would say he's right on, except WKU shoots better, waaaayyy better from every position. They would most likely blow Tennessee off the court, similar to what they did vs. Louisville earlier this year.

We're going to have our hand full with these guys. We must defend the three and their ability to dribble, drive, and kick out to open shooters. This is their entire offense. As CDC eluded to, I'd like to see Meech/Pargo/Gray on the floor at the same time for defensive purposes.
    I totally agree,and to my friends on this board good luck,after the game no hard feelings
    "Bringing you more of little since 2007"

attack, attack, attack.

attack the basket, attack the boards, attack on D.

tobizag will be in the rose garden tomorrow!!! so stoked!

GO ZAGS! BEAT THE TOPPERS!!

GU Class of '07

Sounds like these guys should be the #1 team in the nation then. How can they lose? I wish the Zags could shoot and had speed and athleticism. Dang it!

I know WKU is a good team and will be a tough matchup and this will be a good game, but "horrific", really?

Quote Originally Posted by ZagnetitForce View Post
    I know WKU is a good team and will be a tough matchup and this will be a good game, but "horrific", really?
    Upon review, the word choice of "horrific" may have been a bit dramatic.

I'm just worried about this match-up, yet I have a tendency to worry about every match-up with the Zags, so take it with a grain of salt.

WKU is like a super-charged, highly athletic version of Portland and that scares me a little.

I firmly believe we'll have to have our best defensive effort of the season to advance tomorrow. I'll get ridiculed for saying this, but I believe we match-up better overall with UNC than we do vs. WKU. I'm not saying WKU > UNC, yet in terms of individual match-ups and style of play, I sincerely believe that. The one player who could help us the most is Daye. I hope we see him play head strong and hard tomorrow. He could be the difference maker in this one.

Go Zags!!

How did WKU lose their 8 games, anybody know?

Quote Originally Posted by ZagnetitForce View Post
    How did WKU lose their 8 games, anybody know?
    Easy, they inevitably "died" by the three.

When they're knocking down shots, they're nearly unbeatable. Just ask Louisville. When they're off, they can get blown out as well. Just ask Murray State.

The Zags will need to pressure their shooters while somehow limiting their penetration as as well. I just really hope they're cold from downtown because the Zags have proven to be incapable of defending a good 3pt shooting team from getting their shots off. We won't be able to just out-talent/out-score these guys like we can in the WCC.

I was hoping we'd face Illinois rather than WKU. Oh well.

Easy, they inevitably "died" by the three.

When they're knocking down shots, they're nearly unbeatable. Just ask Louisville. When they're off, they can get blown out as well. Just ask Murray State.

The Zags will need to pressure their shooters while somehow limiting their penetration as as well. I just really hope they're cold from downtown because the Zags have proven to be incapable of defending a good 3pt shooting team from getting their shots off. We won't be able to just out-talent/out-score these guys like we can in the WCC.
    I watched them last night and they looked good, but let's not forget how bad Illinois looked. They were totally uninspired. I do worry about WKU but man o man. No one is "nearly unbeatable." And, they scored in the 70's right--with all those threes.
    How bad would the Zags have beat Illinois last night?
    Some people have a way with words. Some people not have way.

Default Press 'em, Press 'em!

There was a lesson to be learned at the end of the WKU-Illinois game: full-court pressure Western Kentucky! Pressure, pressure! The Hilltoppers almost coughed up a win at game's end by multiple turnovers.

I don't think the Zags (at game's end) will be catching up with WKU (as Illinois had to). If the Zags aren't well ahead, then the game'll be back-and-forth, back-and-forth! In that scenario sudden "extreme" full-court pressure may provide the crack through which the Zags pour a scoring flood.

Scenario for close game: We knock 'em off balance with intense full-court pressure, say, 8 minutes into the 2nd half. Then we pound our advantage, deflate 'em, take no prisioners, beat 'em going away.

Grain of Salt: On the other hand, Kiddwell does worry about the Zags defending hot 3-point shooting teams...

:]

As previously stated above:

1. The Zags must start this game with tremendous urgency. They need to view WKU as Duke, UCONN, Memphis etc. WKU can and will win Saturday if the Zags don't put them down EARLY. They will not give the Zags until the second half to show up.

2. Defend the three like your life depends on it. It does!

3. Team Rebound Every Possession.

4. Mr. H. must watch the foul trouble and not be dupped into fouling early.

5. Very few turnovers.

6. All out "Vegas Style" effort.

I would expect to see a W if these things happen.
    Gonzaga Basketball
    Exhibiting Character Since 1907

western kentucky was a better team last year and we beat them so i am not too worried, but of course thats why they play the games. Lets hope we shook off the rust from that layoff after the WCC tourney and put together two solid halves of basketball. Also lets hope that the refs call fouls both ways. Was it just me or were we getting screwed by calls in the first half?
    GO ZAGS

bartruff1 Guest

Default Yawn...

Good scrimmage....Vegas has Zags by 10 or more....in Portland that is more than likely 12-18...

good, fun thread, insights

on top of what's already been said, attacking the trigger for WKU--the head--is something I'll be watching. Mendez-Valdez, the Sun Belt POY, is that head along with Coach McDonald.

Got to go after him, period, attack him, on O, on D, on the boards, in transition...be in his way, under control without fouling, but be on him, and work him all game. Get after him!

just another battle to watch among many. Fun.

GO TEAM ZAGS!!!

Default Last Year's Early Season Article and BoxScore

Boxscore--

http://www.gozags.com/sports/m-baskb....html#GAME.BOX

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) - Gonzaga had an awful night shooting free throws until it mattered most.

After making just half their foul shots for most of the game, the 14th-ranked Bulldogs made their last eight to hold off Western Kentucky 74-71 in the first round of the Carrs/Safeway Great Alaska Shootout.

"One thing (about the free throw shooting) I think we showed a lot of courage," Gonzaga coach Mark Few said. "It was going bad and we fixed it, and that takes a lot of courage."

The Bulldogs (4-0) were 10-for-20 from free throw line before finally finding their stroke in final 6:12. Jeremy Pargo made four, Matt Bouldin two and Micah Downs two.

"It was a very, very gutty hard-earned win," Few said. "We weathered a lot of adversity tonight."

Gonzaga was also able to get second chances, outrebounding Western Kentucky 43-30. Robert Sacre had a huge put-back with 22 seconds left that sealed the win.

"I think it was a big, big factor in getting us through some rough spots on the offensive end," Few said.

The Hilltoppers got into early foul trouble in the second half, picking up six quick fouls that put the Zags in the bonus early on.

"We really lost our aggressiveness," he said. "That's something we're going to have to play through."

Gonzaga led by as many as seven early in the first half, getting strong inside play and seven points from Bouldin. But Courtney Lee scored five unanswered points for Western Kentucky and the teams battled back and forth with the Hilltoppers leading briefly twice before Gonzaga took a 36-34 halftime lead.

Bouldin and Lee each scored 12 points in the first half, but Bouldin's scoring dropped off when he was forced to assume most of the ball-handling duties after Jeremy Pargo got into early foul trouble.

The Bulldogs hit only one of seven 3-pointers in the first half but stayed in it by outrebounding Western Kentucky 26-14.

Western Kentucky (3-1) ran off eight straight points to start the second half and led by as many as seven with 13:13 to go. But Gonzaga whittled it down and tied it at 60 on Pargo's free throws with 6:12 left.

Playing without Abdullahi Kuso and Austin Daye, who fouled out with 2 minutes to go, Gonzaga got two key baskets inside in less than a minute by David Pendergraft to take the lead for good at 70-66.

Bouldin led Gonzaga with 18 points. Downs chipped in 14 for Gonzaga and Pargo 12.

Lee led Western Kentucky with 19.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."