Thread: Announcers

Default Announcers

Here are the announcers for the various regions:

CBS announcer assignments (by game site): Nantz/Kellogg (Greensboro, N.C.), Verne Lundquist/Bill Raftery (Dayton, Ohio), Dick Enberg/Jay Bilas/Carter Blackburn (Philadelphia), Kevin Harlan/Dan Bonner (Portland, Ore.), Ian Eagle/Jim Spanarkel (Miami), Gus Johnson/Len Elmore (Minneapolis), Tim Brando/Mike Gminski (Kansas City, Mo.), Bob Wenzel/Craig Bolerjack (Boise).

Are they any good? I recognize the names, but that's about it...

I got this from the USA Today website.
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

I like Harlan, he is pretty good, I wish we could have gotten Gus Johnson, he is by far the best CBS has
    “I enjoy coming in and being hated."
    -Matt Bouldin

Heytvelt on how badly GU needed a win: “Like a kid needs his two front teeth for Christmas.”

Bonner worked with Gus Johnson in '99 (Phoenix). His voice says "don't want to foul him" just ask Gus says "Shannon, from the cornerrrrrr..."

Hmm...did ESPN and CBS figure out some announcer sharing agreement? Raftery, Bilas, Elmore, and Wenzel are all contracted by ESPN. Imagine...they couldn't find room for a Vitale or Knight, hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by Radbooks View Post
    Kevin Harlan/Dan Bonner (Portland, Ore.)

Ever heard "Dreams do come true, for little Gonzaga!" ?

That's Kevin Harlan when we beat Stanford in 1999. Can be heard at the end of the NCAA on CBS intro theme before every game.

Quote Originally Posted by MotoZag View Post
    Hmm...did ESPN and CBS figure out some announcer sharing agreement? Raftery, Bilas, Elmore, and Wenzel are all contracted by ESPN. Imagine...they couldn't find room for a Vitale or Knight, hehe.
    Bill Raftery has been working the NCAA tournament for CBS since television was invented. He is actually contracted through CBS and ESPN borrows him throughout the season as part of their agreement to use Elmore and Bilas during the tourney. This is nothing new. Elmore has been on board for 4 years and Bilas for 6. Wenzel is a free-lancer, although most of his work is for ESPN.

Bob Knight has no interest in calling 4 games in one day and Vitale is exclusive to the worldwide leader. Thank God on both accounts.

We got a good crew. It's funny how blatant CBS is with putting its top crews on the east coast.

The ultimate would be Gus Johnson and Bill Raftery. Those guys are the best and should be doing the Final Four. Nantz isn't bad, but can make it feel like watching golf at times. Kellog is okay too, a big improvement from his predecessor Fudge. I wonder how those decisions get made.

I agree the guys the zags got are good. But I totally agree about Gus Johnson, he is the best CBS has and it isn't close!!! Love him.

Harlan & Bonner

Dang.. I was praying for Gus.. He's the best of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagaDynasty View Post
    Dang.. I was praying for Gus.. He's the best of all time.
    Gus is in Minnesota. . .maybe he'll bring good luck to Dayton or North Dakota State.

Basketball Web Sites Listing

"The most interesting place exists between how people see themselves and how other people do." -- Wright Thompson

Took Vacation

Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    cool, at least we get kevin if not Gus. Thanks...who called in sick thursday? *cough, cough*

I did, whooop whoioop.
    long "site visit" scheduled for tomorrow...
    youtube - "The Runner"

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2013

Dumbing down the internet, one post at a time

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Radbooks View Post
    Here are the announcers for the various regions:

CBS announcer assignments (by game site): Nantz/Kellogg (Greensboro, N.C.), Verne Lundquist/Bill Raftery (Dayton, Ohio), Dick Enberg/Jay Bilas/Carter Blackburn (Philadelphia), Kevin Harlan/Dan Bonner (Portland, Ore.), Ian Eagle/Jim Spanarkel (Miami), Gus Johnson/Len Elmore (Minneapolis), Tim Brando/Mike Gminski (Kansas City, Mo.), Bob Wenzel/Craig Bolerjack (Boise).

I got this from the USA Today website.
    WHAT???How did Heister and Ehlo not get selected? CBS really messed up not getting these guys!

"Life is GRAND....Divorce about 100 Grand!!!"
    "Shin= A device for finding furniture" Woody Paige

Harlan and Bonner sound good. And of course Gus is my favorite too

Bonner doesn't hype or spin imo; there's an honesty to him which appeals, especially in March; with so much money on the table, his rudder seems even and steady, and dare I say, unjaded.

GO TEAM ZAGS!!!

Lenelmoresucks sucks. Not a fan ever since the GU-UCLA game.

Vern Lundquist and Bill Raftery are a good team. My favorite Lundquist line is from the 1986 Masters when Jack Nicklaus birdied #17. Maybe.....Yes Sir!
    A classic.

I agree with jb on Len Elmore. His bias and open rooting for UCLA were tough to handle.

I don't know who he works with in the tourney, and I know some don't like him but I like Bilas also. He is arrogant but he know what he is talking about and that is fine with me.

CBS should use a couple of second tier ESPN guys like Ron Franklin and Fran Fraschilla. They do a nice job together.

For those of you craving the sounds and stories of Craig Ehlo, I have heard him on two telecasts in two nights doing the CBI Tournament for HDNet.

Quote Originally Posted by Tmac5360 View Post
    I don't know who he works with in the tourney, and I know some don't like him but I like Bilas also. He is arrogant but he know what he is talking about and that is fine with me.
    Bilas works with old pro Dick Enberg

Basketball Web Sites Listing

"The most interesting place exists between how people see themselves and how other people do." -- Wright Thompson

I love Raftrey too....."Gus!, Major ONIONS!!!" (referring to AMMO's bank 3 to beat OSU)
    “I enjoy coming in and being hated."
    -Matt Bouldin

Heytvelt on how badly GU needed a win: “Like a kid needs his two front teeth for Christmas.”