Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 39 of 39

Thread: Palm moves GU to #5 seed 3/4/09

  1. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    397

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MississppiZag View Post
    Wrong....Washington is the worst defensive team in the Pac-10. Gonzaga is #1 in the country in defensive FG%.

    Washington has guards that stand at 5'11'', 5'11'', and 5'8''. They will get killed by teams with big guards. One midget is alright, but 3 at one time. I don't know...

    And yes we do suck at FT's
    really? can we get some facts to back up your statement about our defense? Oh wait that's right there is none...

    might want to check who has a higher/better defensive efficency rating between the 2 teams, i'll give you a hint, it's not the zags.

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    12,669

    Default

    Joe...it's different discussion. I know the Zags are great from the line...much improved now but still not so good. If you read Brain's apparent complaint, I was adressing that. It's irrelevant what the Zags do..except beat UW if the game comes up. Zags can and will....all anyone with a brain has to do is control JB at all costs. Everything falls into line then.

    And I never said JB would have come to GU. But., to be accurate, it was UNC.... NOT Duke who was his finalist.

    Oh and I don't drink. Thanx though.

    Further...GU's defense is a lot better than it used to be. MUCH MUCH better than UW's even if one only looks at the top 100 teams..... GU's defense isn't coach by Few ( who you incorrectly characterise as a "snake"). Ray does and it's a very good defense.

    Anything else I can enlighten you with, fire away. I'm always willing to teach you UW honks.

  3. #28

    Default Dawgman:

    You are right on the money. Huskies are solid this year and I fear meeting them in the tourney. Let us not forget however, Fuskies are notorious frontrunners They beat up on my Chieftains this week - okay Redhawks- in the Redhawks transition season. They have an overwhelming won - loss ratio versus S.U., but never played S.U.during the days when S.U was beating up on the elite of D-1 and feeding the NBA with players, about a twenty year span during the late 50's, entire 60's and early 70's. Funny how the Hussies suddenly cancelled the series with the Zags, after posting a 1-9 loss to win record.
    I always say, "Once a front runner, always a front runner."

  4. #29

    Default Three Fat Guys

    Isn't it redundant that three fat guys are hungry to sell cars? Is it just me? I'm not really feeling the need to help make these duys fatter??..

  5. #30
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    801

    Default

    Facts-

    Gonzaga is #1 in the country in 2PT FG%. Washington is #99. Gonzaga gives up 38.8%. Washington gives up 46.2%. In front of Washington are teams lsuch as Columbia, Rutgers, Hawaii, Quinnipac, etc.

    Washington gives up 70 points per game. That would be second to last in the Pac-10, just behind the defensive-minded Oregon ducks.

    Gonzaga is 15th in Block%, while Washington is 269th.

    Gonzaga averages 5.9 blocks in the country which is ranked 19th, Washington averages 2.9 which is below higher than the top 100.

    Face it Gonzaga is better than Washington by a large margin. Analysts on ESPN point at Washington's defense as a weakness.

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Joe...it's different discussion. I know the Zags are great from the line...much improved now but still not so good. If you read Brain's apparent complaint, I was adressing that. It's irrelevant what the Zags do..except beat UW if the game comes up. Zags can and will....all anyone with a brain has to do is control JB at all costs. Everything falls into line then.

    And I never said JB would have come to GU. But., to be accurate, it was UNC.... NOT Duke who was his finalist.

    Oh and I don't drink. Thanx though.

    Further...GU's defense is a lot better than it used to be. MUCH MUCH better than UW's even if one only looks at the top 100 teams..... GU's defense isn't coach by Few ( who you incorrectly characterise as a "snake"). Ray does and it's a very good defense.

    Anything else I can enlighten you with, fire away. I'm always willing to teach you UW honks.
    Abe, from your comment, you have apparently not watched enough Huskies games to teach anyone about our team. Dawgfather has already schooled you on that, so lay it to rest. We did not come here to talk trash about GU. It's fine to express your opinions about your team, but when presented with facts about our team, you just found all kinds of lame execuses to try to back up what you said earlier. The more you tried, the more of a fool you made out of yourself. No, we don't need you to teach us anything. We watch our team enough times this year to have an educated guess on what our limits are. I am not saying they are better or worse than the Zags. All I want to see is just a good match up between GU and UW in the tourney, and I am not even making any prediction should that game take place. We both have good teams this year, and we both have a bright future for years to come. Let's just leave it at that. This is my last comment about this matter, and I will not respond to anything you say on this thread.

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Helena, MT
    Posts
    1,616

    Default

    Palm has moved GU to a 4 in Portland, in the same bracket as NC, Pitt, and Kansas, setting up Zags and UNC for the 16. I dont like this branch of the tree.
    Speak softly, but carry a big Foo stick.

    I gotta fever, and the only prescription is more COWBELL!!!!

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    7,122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by outrunu View Post
    Palm has moved GU to a 4 in Portland, in the same bracket as NC, Pitt, and Kansas, setting up Zags and UNC for the 16. I dont like this branch of the tree.
    Not sure what bracket you're looking at(maybe last week's?) but Zags are a 5 seed in Boise vs Siena according to http://www.collegerpi.com/. This would likely pit us against(pun intended) Pitt in the sweet 16 and Clemson in round 2. I think I'd prefer the 6 seed here, Villanova is the 3, Michigan St. is the 2, both are very beatable IMHO.

    Edit: Actually now that I look at that bracket more closely, playing Clemson in Boise in the 2nd round wouldn't be so bad. For some reason I doubt the committee will send them this far west though, since this year they're trying to keep most teams close to home for the first rounds or so(for $$$$$ reasons).
    A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.
    Steven Wright

    Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2012
    Foo Fantasy Football Last Place Champ 2013

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    397

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MississppiZag View Post
    Facts-

    Gonzaga is #1 in the country in 2PT FG%. Washington is #99. Gonzaga gives up 38.8%. Washington gives up 46.2%. In front of Washington are teams lsuch as Columbia, Rutgers, Hawaii, Quinnipac, etc.

    Washington gives up 70 points per game. That would be second to last in the Pac-10, just behind the defensive-minded Oregon ducks.

    Gonzaga is 15th in Block%, while Washington is 269th.

    Gonzaga averages 5.9 blocks in the country which is ranked 19th, Washington averages 2.9 which is below higher than the top 100.

    Face it Gonzaga is better than Washington by a large margin. Analysts on ESPN point at Washington's defense as a weakness.
    Adjusted Defense UW 14th Adjusted Defense Gonzaga 17th, oops?

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    12,669

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brian_sun View Post
    Abe, from your comment, you have apparently not watched enough Huskies games to teach anyone about our team. Dawgfather has already schooled you on that, so lay it to rest. We did not come here to talk trash about GU. It's fine to express your opinions about your team, but when presented with facts about our team, you just found all kinds of lame execuses to try to back up what you said earlier. The more you tried, the more of a fool you made out of yourself. No, we don't need you to teach us anything. We watch our team enough times this year to have an educated guess on what our limits are. I am not saying they are better or worse than the Zags. All I want to see is just a good match up between GU and UW in the tourney, and I am not even making any prediction should that game take place. We both have good teams this year, and we both have a bright future for years to come. Let's just leave it at that. This is my last comment about this matter, and I will not respond to anything you say on this thread.
    Ah Heck! You UW Honks always quit when the goin get a bit rough. Expected I guess. I do hope the beatdown happens. UW needs some more public humiliation. Hope we meet....if not this year...anytime, anyplace or anywhere. The tough part is that UW only gets in the tounament every 3 years or so....I guess we'll have to be patient with the little romar bros across the state.
    Last edited by MDABE80; 03-06-2009 at 08:54 PM. Reason: mmmm

  11. #36
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    801

    Default

    Would you rather be 3 spots better in Adjusted Defense(whatever that means) or 98 spots better in FG%?

    The adjusted defensive category is made up by a random guy, and taken into account by no one. People don't use this when comparing two defenses. They use FG% and Points Allowed, two categories the Zags are far superior in than the Huskies.

  12. #37

    Default

    Mississippi,

    You are wrong. Adjusted defense uses those statistics, but also "adjusts" for competition and possessions per game.

    Morons might prefer to use raw data like FG% and points per game. But more astute fans and analysts know that adjusted stats are far better predictors of future performance. It's more than "one man's" opinion; Ken Pomeroy is the best in the business at designing statistics that eliminate a lot of the "noise" that show up in raw, unadjusted statistics.

    The proof is in the pudding. No team has made the final four in the past seven or eight years without ranking in KenPom's top 25 for adjusted defensive efficiency. You won't find such strong predictive performances by using unadjusted numbers.

    Bottom line: Gonzaga and UW have both been among the best defensive teams in the nation this year.

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    12,315

    Default

    I'd like to see 4 teams out in the West. #3 UW, #4 Gonzaga, #5 UCLA, and #6 Arizona St. Two of these teams could go to Portland and two to Boise. We could also see UW at #3 and Gonzaga at #6. I'm thinking we're going to be playing either UW or UCLA in the second round.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    12,669

    Default

    ken pom->
    no 8 Zags
    no 14 UW

    Well........?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •