Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: That Answers that Question (All WCC Announced - full list posted)

Yes, going undefeated in conf. is impressive, but what Eric Reveno did in Portland to turn that program around - and not only be mediocre, but have some significant success... he absolutely deserves coach of the year.

From a biased perspective, yes I think Josh should be POY, but I can't particularly argue with Bryant. Basically he's propped that SCU team up single handedly.

I highly disagree with Mills getting anything more than an honorable mention though. He should be simply ineligible due to the number of league games he missed.
    History has its eyes on you.

Sage of the GU Message Board

Quote Originally Posted by BobZag View Post
    Opinions are never correct or incorrect. They're subjective. It's like poetry.
    True. But even in poetry, we have Shakespeare, and we have Siliconzag.

Okay, now that I have slept on it, I still think it is a travesty that Mark Few did not get COY. Since when does going 9-5 get you coach of the year? Sure they did much better than the other schools predicted, but Few ran the table. Are they saying that the Zags going 14-0 was expected? Or were they expecting GU to beat the rest of the league by more than 19.7pts/game? Were they not expecting St. Mary's and San Diego to be making return trips to the NCAA?

This is not to take away from Reveno, he is doing a dang fine job @ UP, but still did not do the job Few did.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world.
    Those who understand binary and those who do not.
    "Only a madman or an economist thinks exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world."

Func FOO

E .· ` ' / ·. F
    The FOO fuels me.

"I have to say that I am really surprised that a player won this award who plays on a team that finished 4th in the conference with a 7-7 record. It's well documented that this award normally goes to a player on the first place team."

Several comments on this thread that Bryant shouldn't receive POY because, in effect, his team didn't win the conference reminds me of Calhoon's objection to Morrison receiving most valuable player in Maui a few years ago. Calhoon "carped" that one of the guys on his UCONN team should have received the award because it customarily goes to a player on the team that wins the tournament. Well, I disagreed with Calhoon then and I disagree with those now who justify their opinion based on SCUs conference standing. The award should go to the best player without regard to the standing of the team. I may disagree with Bryant's selection as the best player in the league, but my opinion has nothing to do with his team's standing in the league!

Default wtf?

Maybe Bryant looked like a player of the year vs. a juco, but WCC? please

Congrats to Bryant...well deserving.

This will motivate Pargo and Company....I have a feeling Pargo and Josh (our two most important players for success in the tournament [Matt is our best overall player, IMO]) are going to turn it up a couple notches.

GO ZAGS!!!

Reveno being COY kind of makes sense to me. I don't get Bryant for POY though. Not at all. Whether you look at his in-conference numbers (where the award is supposed to be based) or out-of-conference numbers, they are not very impressive, not impressive enough to get him the award on a 7-7 team. Josh dominated in league and so did Matt, one could argue they deserved co-POY but even just comparing Josh and Big John and leaving Matt out of the picture (since those two are seniors) I don't see how you could give it to John.

I agree with the poster that said that it seems that the WCC coaches were getting tired of Zag award dominance and decided to spread it around this year. I don't think we should be getting penalized for having a balanced team.

Quote Originally Posted by EngineerZag View Post
    Reveno being COY kind of makes sense to me. I don't get Bryant for POY though. Not at all. Whether you look at his in-conference numbers (where the award is supposed to be based) or out-of-conference numbers, they are not very impressive, not impressive enough to get him the award on a 7-7 team.
    He lead the country in rebounding and 20pt/20 rebound games. How is that not impressive? He averaged 13-something boards and almost 20 pts a game. How is that not impressive? I can understand people thinking that Bouldin or Josh were more deserving, but not thinking Bryant's #s are impressive is just silly.

I guess the bottom line on POY is to have it clearly defined.

If it is meant to be strictly a statistical award then Bryant gets it.
    If it is meant to be an asset to the team award then one must wonder
    If it is meant to be the Player who best helped his team to succeed and without him/her the team would not have completed what they did in that particular year, then clearly it should not have gone to him.

Personally for me if it is based upon stats and stats only that is a sad state of affairs for the TEAM GAME of basketball.

If you took Bryant away from their team they still end up an average team and in the middle of the WCC pack. If you took bouldin or Heytvelt away GU may not have finished undefeated, ranked 14th in country......

Guess it depends on what you view as POY award is meant for......

I sense some sour grapes on this thread. Last I checked Player of the Year (POY) was given to the best player by vote -- not the best TEAM or even the best team player. The most convenient way of measuring how good a player is is via statistics, for better or worse. Fact is, Bryant put up crazy numbers this year and I disagree that removing him from the time wouldn't change SCU's standing in the conference. Take him off SCU and they'd be down there with LMU (no offense).

My point is that the Zags have already proven they're the best team. We can't win every single individual award every single year. Maybe the poster that said the voters are a little Zag-fatigued this year is correct.

IMHO... Bryant is the SOLE reason that SCU didn't end up at the bottom of the WCC. He averaged a double double. That is something Josh has never done and it has been awhile since someone has done that in the WCC. He deserves this plain and simple. We need to take the Zag blinders off and really look at what he achieved.

Going on to Reveno... look Mark did what he was expected to do... win the WCC with little challenges from the pack. Reveno on the other hand, took a team that was expected to be at or near the bottom and had them in contention for the #2 seed in the WCC tourney up until the last week. He also deserves his reward.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Josh was the most important player on the best team. How he doesnt grab co is beyond me. I understand those of you that are Matty fans, but we have plenty of guards who can step up. Without josh we are screwed. On top of that, since when does a good player on a so so team win the award? The reason a zag didnt win it was due to too many good players on one team spreading the stats thinner than one good guy on a bad team. if josh or matt or pargo were on SCU i cant imagine the numbers they would have put up. Seems silly to me. As far as Pargo, he gave up his "numbers" to help the team. He didnt need to score at all in a sense, just pass and run the offense. He has done that. And with better assist to TO ratios than in his previous seasons or Dickau or Stepps seasons. Ill take it.

Is coach of the year based on preseason expectations or performance on the court? I for one did not think Portland would finish last I figured fourth or fifth they got third does that make him coach of the year? Don't get me wrong I love the job Reveno is doing but Few still works just as hard as any other coach and when he succeeds he should be recognized for it.

what a joke. Maybe our conference isnt as bad as advertised, but you should win more than 7 games in it if youre going to be player of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by bigparb View Post
    undefeated in league and we get two guys on All-league team and no conf awards.....this must be a joke
    agreed, what a sham. as heister just said, it's all due to jealousy.

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle_Zag View Post
    Wow...completely out of line, man.
    http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...y/11001531/rss

Respectfully, you're out of line, man. People have short memories. He may be a little bit of a sentimental pick after what happened to him last fall. I was trying to make a legitimate point and add some levity to the conversation, that is all.

People...it is not even remotely close.
    Bryant is no Heytfelt. The only thing Bryant does better
    is his up and under move, other than that, Josh flies down the
    court better than almost any big man in the country. He shoots
    from many different spots on the court. Sure, I am biased, but
    who is a potential late 1st round NBA pick?

There is only one ball on the court and Josh had to share it with other potential NBA players and still posted GREAT numbers.

not to mention outplaying Bryant when they faced each other

Quote Originally Posted by Zag79 View Post
    As far as Pargo, he gave up his "numbers" to help the team. He didnt need to score at all in a sense, just pass and run the offense. He has done that. And with better assist to TO ratios than in his previous seasons or Dickau or Stepps seasons. Ill take it.
    Not true. Stepp averaged 6.9 assists and 3.0 turnovers his senior year; Pargo has averaged 5.0 assists and 2.6 turnovers this year.

Bryant is the SOLE reason that SCU didn't end up at the bottom of the WCC. He averaged a double double. That is something Josh has never done and it has been awhile since someone has done that in the WCC.
    if josh played for SCU he would, and then some. bryant on our team wouldnt average a double/double, too much talent to spread the ball around. josh is easily the better player and helped lead his team to an undefeated wcc season. co if not out right for josh or its fixed.