Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where are you Steven Gray??

Post Where are you Steven Gray??

The Steven Gray that we need has disappeared. Let me say that I had high hopes for Gray coming into the season. I thought that it looked like he worked hard over the summer--he looked stronger and I was expecting that big jump from Frosh to Soph.

Instead he's been inconsistent at best, and of late he's disappeared. Take out his 21 pt 2nd half outburst against LMU and he's 5 of his last 22 from the floor. The culmination of his decline appeared to be last night. I can't believe that I'm going to say this, but he might as well not even been on the floor. Gray seems to be playing in a fog on offense. He's confindence appears to be completely gone and he doesn't appear to be looking for his shot at all; and this from a guy who has possibly to prettiest jumper we've seen at GU in the last 10 years!!!!

Where are you Steven Gray!!???!!

I would love to see Steven rebound from this slump in time for the NCAA's, but I would like to see evidence of this over the next couple of games (gotta shoot yourself out of a slump!!!). His resurgence is vital for us to have any chance for a deep run in the dance, because when he's stroking from distance I believe that we can play with anyone!!

Come back Steven and be the bomber that we know you are!!!

Default he's a soph

he'll recover.

The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Some hit the Freshman wall and others encounter the Sophomore slump. Gray was fairly consistent as a Frosh, so he's encountering the latter. No biggie. This team needs his on-the-ball defense more than you're giving him credit for. After Few assigned Gray to cover Foster last night, Foster struggled the rest of the way and was quiet in the 2nd half. Also, Gray will always be accounted for and respected by opposing defenses with his ability to stroke it deep. We need that type of player on the floor come tourney time. If he gets hot at the right time, Gray still has the ability to win a game by himself, whether its in the WCC or NCAA's. I assure you, we'd be much worse off without Steven Gray in the lineup.

Exclamation not buying it

Quote Originally Posted by gamagin View Post
    he'll recover.
    That nice, but big boy college basketball is about winning NOW!!! I give a s__t whether he's a soph or not......look around the country, freshmen and soph's everywhere are playing big and making big-time contributions to their teams......

Don't take this personally gamagin, but the "he's just a soph" arguement is weak....and probably insulting for a guy like Steven......he should be playing bigger and everyone knows it.....

Quote Originally Posted by bigparb View Post
    Come back Steven and be the bomber that we know you are!!

he should be playing bigger and everyone knows it.....
    Really? Who is everyone?

Did you even watch the game last night? Steven Gray was 0-1 from downtown. He didn't need to play "bigger" or score a ton of points against SCU. GU was doing just fine on offense. What Gonzaga needed last night was Gray's defensive intensity against SCU's talented guards. In the 2nd half, Steven was asked to play man on Kevin Foster who happened to be lights out in the 1st Half. When Gray was covering him, he nearly shut him out. Apart from Meech's limited mins, Gray was the only one hustling hard on defense.

Lastly, why ask for more from Steven Gray when we had FOUR players score in double figures last night? Apparently, you wanted five considering Gray didn't get in on the fun. That's just ridiculous.

Instead of harping on Gray, why not commend Heytvelt scoring a career high, Bouldin hitting a record amount for FT's, Pargo playing steady throughout, and Daye getting us off to a great start last night.

Actually, Gray was not all that spectacular guarding Foster last night. At least on one occasion he doubled down low on Bryant, who kicked it out to Foster who was wide open and Gray just kind of half heartedly ran out there only to watch Foster sink yet another three.

We really need Gray to play well for us to advance in the tournament IMO. What happened to all the slashing moves he exhibited against Tennessee? Those were freaking awesome. And he can really get his shot going at times, too. When he's playing well it gives us so much more versatility on offense.

Quote Originally Posted by EngineerZag View Post
    We really need Gray to play well for us to advance in the tournament IMO.
    I think we really need everyone to play well for us to advance in the tournament, especially this year.

My point is this, Gray was 7-9 from 3pt land in the 1st Round of the Tourney last year and scored over 20 points. He played great and was our "long bomber" vs Davidson. How well did that work out for us? Also, earlier this year Gray scored a career-high 24 points against UConn and played amazingly well. Didn't help the outcome much from what I saw...

Listen, there is no doubt Gray is great player and we certainly need him to perform at a high level for this team to go far in the Tournament....but same goes for everyone else.

Last night was a good example, we maintained better balance on offense than we've had in a long time and overcame a tough team in a hostile enviroment to win on the road w/o much from Gray. 'nuff said.

Gray didn't look for his shot much last night but he did plenty of other things to help the team win. He got several loose balls, mostly O-rebounds. He scored on that nifty fast break in traffic and went to the floor on the play. Look, I wanna see him bombing threes as much as the next guy, but last night the Zags scored a ton of points in the paint and has Santa Clara in trouble when Bryant was sitting. The team was well-served by Gray not jacking up a bunch of contested threes.
    “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

it's funny who we can find a negative spin to every win...just last week we have the "steven gray is back" thread, and now its, what have you done for me lately. Gray hasn't played spectacular the last few weeks, but thats fine, last time I checked the zags were 13-0 in conference. Gray has been asked to do a lot of different things on the team this year, he is a great scorer, but there are many nights he does not need to this year when Josh, Austin and Matt are hitting on all cylinders then Steven is asked to step up his defensive game and know down the open shot when available. Gray will have plenty of chances over the next two years to show how good he is, he will put up big scoring numbers the next two seasons, he just doesn't need to this year, its not that he can't. I would rather have Gray putting up big numbers and the zags win as well, but if it takes Gray to contribute where he is needed on certain nights for the zags to win, I will take that every time we play. Bottom line is that Gray has not scorched the nets the past few weeks but we have come away with W's.

I'll say this; he's earned my belief that he knows how to show up, perhaps not as consistantly as optimally desired all year (sophomoric a bit???) and he's had valley moments (like everyone), but he knows how to do that imo, he knows how to get himself there, to that level, because he's proven to himself he can. Remember Davidson, remember UConn, etc.

Baldwin's point is well taken in that Steven is finding other ways to contribute even if the bombs aren't falling...he's rebounding better, imo, scuffling it up in there and on the perimeter. Anyone else seeing that? I have no facts to support that feeling.

Anyway, I think he's growing right before our eyes and he's going to have more opportunities in the coming weeks and games to fight through the inevitable rough spots in a season and once again, get himself to that level and do it.

I believe. We'll see.

GO ZAGS!!!

Only one ball, only so many shots. I would be more concerned if he was 1-12 from the field and he was walking around on the court. His effort was good and with the way that Josh and Matt were playing no need for him to score. He does not strike me as the type of player that will demand shots (like Daye,Bouldin) regardless of the situation. He did play 25 minutes so I would assume that Few liked something that he saw from Gray

Default bigparb,

Quote Originally Posted by bigparb View Post
    That nice, but big boy college basketball is about winning NOW!!! I give a s__t whether he's a soph or not......look around the country, freshmen and soph's everywhere are playing big and making big-time contributions to their teams......

Don't take this personally gamagin, but the "he's just a soph" arguement is weak....and probably insulting for a guy like Steven......he should be playing bigger and everyone knows it.....
    what part of undefeated in league do you not understand ? And what did steven not do to raise your hackles last night ?

He had a good game. Not a great one, for him, imo. But I see him more like MB at times. that is playing an excellent game away from the ball. And from what I saw, he did just that.

re "probably insulting" and "everyone knows it" in your note above: I'd say you "probably" made that whole sentence up. And "everyone knows it."

Go Zags !

Quote Originally Posted by gamagin View Post
    He had a good game. Not a great one, for him, imo. But I see him more like MB at times. that is playing an excellent game away from the ball. And from what I saw, he did just that.
    Just as a point of clarification, what did he do very well away from the ball? I'm not in disagreement with you because maybe I missed it. Like BZ posted above, Gray was the invisible man especially on defense. That is where I have been most disappointed with him this season. He went from guarding Steph Curry in the NCAA Tournament to being blown past by players from Santa Clara.

Jay Bilas did say that Gray could be the most complete player on this team, but the major question is whether or not he has the attitude to be that player.

Soon enough this discussion will fade and we may even chuckle about it.

I heart Steven Gray. He has lead us to victory and will again.

Go Zags!
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Default The Point

I'm not going to argue with those who are happy with Gray doing what he has been doning for the last few weeks (less the 2nd half of LMU).....if you are happy with his lack of confidence/production on the offensive end, then fine, be happy........the reality is that if we had Gray going 5-8 from downtown last night, it probably would have been a 20 pt game; not the tight game they were in.....

The point (now pay attention) was to say that when Gray is playing with confidence, taking and hitting his 3's, we are a dangerous team capable of a deep run........w/o his production, lucky to get beyond 2nd rd

.....and yes, I'll speak for the group, AGAIN, everyone knows this (except two guys who are happy with him sleep-walking on offense).....

BZ couldn't have said it better above........unfortunately, what bothers me so much, is that I agree with Bilas, he's got all the tools, he just apparently does believe it.....

IMO...

I do recall the camera zooming in on him after one particular play (might have been the missed three) and he was looking back over his shoulder at the bench as if he were waiting for the hook. He hasn't been starting. His confidence may be low. He's got the skills; he'll be back.

Could I get a little emphasis on that, parb?

I get your point and on the whole agree. I really hope he finds his confidence and that those deadly weapons he possesses get a bit more use.

Happy Friday!
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Ok, the ####ty thing is that Ray is not some one-trick pony which he is making himself out to be right now. if he's not hitting 3's, he could easily put the ball on the floor and penetrate, as we saw him d against UCONN. i wish more of our players would do this, especially Micah. noone is going to stop Micah if he attacs the rim. im tired of these games of catch that we play around the perimeter. we need to start attacking. especially if 3's arent falling from our sharpshooters like gray and micah.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoZAG615 View Post
    Just as a point of clarification, what did he do very well away from the ball? I'm not in disagreement with you because maybe I missed it. Like BZ posted above, Gray was the invisible man especially on defense. That is where I have been most disappointed with him this season. He went from guarding Steph Curry in the NCAA Tournament to being blown past by players from Santa Clara.

Jay Bilas did say that Gray could be the most complete player on this team, but the major question is whether or not he has the attitude to be that player.

Bronco:

I thought SG was effective in the second half on their shooter.

Baldwin, bballbeach and vandal already noted on this thread what I believe I was watching and saw. CDC has a different take and he didn't like SG's game, either. even Engineer pointed out tht SG let the frosh get a free one after he collapsed on Bryant and failed to get back in front of him one time.

But massive failure or breakdown i did not see. neither did I see a rising star.

I thought SG made a few good drives inside where JH was holding court but generally he was a non factor with the ball.

Otoh, I don't think SG or anyone else should have nor needed to drive when JH was on fire. JH was the hot hand. The first and best choice.

We wisely went back to him. MB was doing his thing, too. Very effectively. Had either of them blown cold, I suggest there were others, like SG, fully capable of doing their best. We had 4 in double figures.

But, to the point, why switch to the lower percentage (perimeter) game when the inside game is working ? and why blame one guy for failing to force his game from the perimeter at a time when another type attack is working ? I saw SG as odd man out for this particular set of matchups. certainly offensively.

as for the confusing ending, I think that was a byproduct of our failing to sink the dagger w/free throws when smc's game became one against the clock. I think there were three Zags who shot clunkers and one of them was SG, if memory serves. But that was hardly the deal breaker.

MB then stepped up and dashed smc's hopes and sealed our W, thank goodness.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldwinzag View Post
    Some hit the Freshman wall and others encounter the Sophomore slump. Gray was fairly consistent as a Frosh, so he's encountering the latter. No biggie. This team needs his on-the-ball defense more than you're giving him credit for. After Few assigned Gray to cover Foster last night, Foster struggled the rest of the way and was quiet in the 2nd half. Also, Gray will always be accounted for and respected by opposing defenses with his ability to stroke it deep. We need that type of player on the floor come tourney time. If he gets hot at the right time, Gray still has the ability to win a game by himself, whether its in the WCC or NCAA's. I assure you, we'd be much worse off without Steven Gray in the lineup.

Actually, it seemed to me that Foster was slowed down a bit by Demetri. Steven seemed a bit slow last night. I think it is a little early to say he is invisible. Just last week there were lots of people saying how he was back...etc

Fickle fickle fickle board!

Quote Originally Posted by Baldwinzag View Post

I gotta believe that too!

Go Steven,

Go!! Zags!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sullyzag66 View Post
    I do recall the camera zooming in on him after one particular play (might have been the missed three) and he was looking back over his shoulder at the bench as if he were waiting for the hook. He hasn't been starting. His confidence may be low. He's got the skills; he'll be back.
    It was the play when he threw the deep court pass to Daye that went over his (Daye's) head and out of bounds.

Bigparb....I agree, for us to be a dangerous team Gray needs to be way more consistant on O
    I am working on being a more all around square.

I do not know if anyone else has noticed, but the ball seems to come off his hand this year awkwardly. The spin of the ball also appears different this year. I have actually noticed it all season. Event against LMU we had made a bunch of threes his release seemed weird. I love Steven and he is-gonna be a great player, just wondering if anyone else noticed or has tape from last year to compare to this year.

Steven is not squaring his body as well as he did last season. Sometimes the release point on his shot if off to the side. Whenever I see that, I know the ball is not going on. You are not alone in that observation fedway.