Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Few on the high expectations and GU fans

Default Few on the high expectations and GU fans

hmm, not to talk myself up but im sure there are posts around here from the beginning of the season when i said im going to enjoy this season, game by game, minute by minute because i really enjoy this group of zags. win or lose, gripes or compliments, i live for this time of year! go ZAGS!

http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/...46&cs_key=1791
    http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/...46&cs_key=1902

http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/...46&cs_key=1801
    http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/...46&cs_key=1908

This is a bit brutal....BUT the cool part is the first rankings were fresh off the OSC win-

A similar run in the NCAA tourney and both will vault WAY back up the lists! It also goes to show that "negative" posters are not the only critical ones with higher expectations.

Nice find Gamagin. We typically don't get a lot from Few other than the pregame radio broadcasts and a few soundbites.

Glad to hear Few say he thinks the guys are getting along and still having fun. Sili had me worried there. I'd say in review of games, that the guys do look like they get along and are enjoying each others' good plays. The guys looked really great against St. Mary's. I have watched that game several times now and really enjoy it. We must remember how THE OTHER teams we play will be playing against us because we are Gonzaga. That is the truth because I have seen these guys play other teams and they have way less energy and enthusiasm. Sometimes, their tough play and desire to win does make us look worse than we think we should look because some fans expect that we'll beat everyone in conference by 20+. HUGE MISTAKE by fans.

Few'w interview reminds me of a threat I just posted on. He said we should be happy and enjoy what the guys are doing, and encouraged us to keep perspective of the history of GU basketball and remember what it could be.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

very cool find irishzag, seems fairly ranked too. my argument would be depending on the player and position i would still take certain players we have over many listed above them. for instance, give me pargo over rochestie every day of the week. no bouldin anywhere. and it looks like josh and daye are still on the lists contrary to what some posters think of them. interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by theirishzag03 View Post
    http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/...46&cs_key=1791
    http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/...46&cs_key=1902

http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/...46&cs_key=1801
    http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/...46&cs_key=1908

This is a bit brutal....BUT the cool part is the first rankings were fresh off the OSC win-

A similar run in the NCAA tourney and both will vault WAY back up the lists! It also goes to show that "negative" posters are not the only critical ones with higher expectations.
    I am not sure what this has to do with the topic.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post

Just another chance to rag on Pargo and Few, Kitz.

Best quote out of the interview were "We aren't UNC or Duke"... but boy do some out there think we are. Just enjoy it people instead of tearing down what you love. Its like this scene in Tommy Boy around here lately.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

I would take Pargo over most, maybe not Lavance Fields or Johnny Flynn. But I have already seen him eat Lawson alive! Tyreke at the point is scary too!

Bouldin is listed as a Sm. Forward (#19)after the OSC, but being a tweener kind of hurts. If we were a 2 guard offense I think he would get more recognition as a very versatile 2.

Josh being grouped with prototype centers does not help a lot either, Thabeet is a good true post, but look at what Blair did to him and Dejuan is 6-7! Onuaku (Syr) is the best post prospect IMO. I know it's been a while but Josh outplayed TH as well.

Griffin (the absolute best player in college), Aminu, and maybe Chism are ahead of Austin, but mostly IMO because they have the "power" in PF.

Micah and Steven sharing minutes, and the fact that SG includes Jodie Meeks, McClinton, and Wayne Ellington... tough to crack that group coming off the bench!

I would not trade any of our guys! I would be curious how good we would be with Blake Griffin at the 5, Josh at the 4, Jeremy at the 1, Austin at the 3, and Micah at the 2???? and a bench of Sacre, Goodson, Gray, Brown, Foster

6-10 (245), 6-11 (240), 6-10 (200), 6-2 (220), and 6-8 (190) somebody wake me up!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    Well, I think the RELATED topic is EXPECTATIONS--- where they were (December) right after the Old Spice Classic title and where they have fallen to NOW

Griffin and Josh down low... that would be a dream.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Thank you I needed that.

I've come to realize that my expectations although well merited have been unrealistic for a number of reasons and watching coach speak and listening to what he had to say brought it all into perspective. I wish I had seen this interview long before this.

As I've stated on other threads I'm with the guys 100% and hold onto the hope that at the end of each game we are one point ahead and anything more is fantastic.

Go!! Zags!!!

The thing I love most about Few is his perspective. He understands that the kids need to enjoy all of the ride. Not just the tourney. He really gets it. Winning the conference is a big big deal!!!

Quote Originally Posted by theirishzag03 View Post
    I would take Pargo over most, maybe not Lavance Fields or Johnny Flynn. But I have already seen him eat Lawson alive! Tyreke at the point is scary too!

Bouldin is listed as a Sm. Forward (#19)after the OSC, but being a tweener kind of hurts. If we were a 2 guard offense I think he would get more recognition as a very versatile 2.

Josh being grouped with prototype centers does not help a lot either, Thabeet is a good true post, but look at what Blair did to him and Dejuan is 6-7! Onuaku (Syr) is the best post prospect IMO. I know it's been a while but Josh outplayed TH as well.

Griffin (the absolute best player in college), Aminu, and maybe Chism are ahead of Austin, but mostly IMO because they have the "power" in PF.

Micah and Steven sharing minutes, and the fact that SG includes Jodie Meeks, McClinton, and Wayne Ellington... tough to crack that group coming off the bench!

I would not trade any of our guys! I would be curious how good we would be with Blake Griffin at the 5, Josh at the 4, Jeremy at the 1, Austin at the 3, and Micah at the 2???? and a bench of Sacre, Goodson, Gray, Brown, Foster

6-10 (245), 6-11 (240), 6-10 (200), 6-2 (220), and 6-8 (190) somebody wake me up!!!
    As scary as that team is...you forgot Bouldin

I'm sorry, I just do not see this man at a big-time boosters-booty-kissing job like UofA or UofO.
    Training Grounds: Rambling Thoughts of a Surgical Resident
    You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions. -Siddhartha Gautama

Quote Originally Posted by isongd View Post
    As scary as that team is...you forgot Bouldin

Holy poop! Ooooops- even more scary!!! Oh wait, he was the "player to be named later"

If I were a 5 star recruit choosing between a BCS school and Gonzaga based solely from that interview, I wouldn't feel warm or fuzzy. that being said, I really appreciate that Mark Few goes out and speaks frankly and honestly, and puts things in perspective for the media, obviously focused on "OMG UNDEFEATED" rather than what is important this time in the season, like team chemistry and confidence.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

Quote Originally Posted by krozman View Post
    If I were a 5 star recruit choosing between a BCS school and Gonzaga based solely from that interview, I wouldn't feel warm or fuzzy. that being said, I really appreciate that Mark Few goes out and speaks frankly and honestly, and puts things in perspective for the media, obviously focused on "OMG UNDEFEATED" rather than what is important this time in the season, like team chemistry and confidence.
    Not sure I follow you, Kroz. If you're suggesting Few seems too caught up in the gaudy league record rather than worrying about tourney prep then I both do and don't agree. Of course you want to keep things loose and remind players to enjoy the ride, and while you're at it step back and soak in all you've accomplished as a program and a team. But it's a fine line between pride and contentment. The Zags have more talent up and down their lineup than what they've been displaying on the court night in and night out. They need to show up as a team and not a couple of hot hands, a few supporting members and a couple guys having off nights. The formula works in the WCC but not against the teams this club was recruited to play and beat. Few is too good a coach and these are to good of players to be making 16 silly turnovers and giving up 14 of 22 threes against opponents like these at this point on the season. Just saying, if you're gonna use the midmajor "slight" to inspire the troops and raise your profile, then you must also walk the walk of an elite program and not complain that expectations are unrealistic when they are much the reason you were able to lure the recruits, get the TV time and secure the facilities you did. Few's as good as they come and he may well be right -- maybe this isn't a team of destiny -- but I still don't like to hear him (more or less) say "We're not UNC or Duke, we're just little old Gunzawga taking the best shot the WCC can dish out." Come on, you think Calipari is down in Memphis chomping BBQ, gloating about winning 50+ straight in Conference USA? Bollocks!
    Last edited by FuManShoes; 02-18-2009 at 05:44 AM.
    “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

Not sure I follow you, Kroz. If you're suggesting Few seems too caught up in the gaudy league record rather than worrying about tourney prep then I both do and don't agree. Of course you want to keep things loose and remind players to enjoy the ride, and while you're at it step back and soak in all you've accomplished as a program and a team. But it's a fine line between pride and contentment. The Zags have more talent up and down their lineup than what they've been displaying on the court night in and night out. They need to show up as a team and not a couple of hot hands, a few supporting members and a couple guys having off nights. The formula works in the WCC but not against the teams this club was recruited to play and beat. Few is too good a coach and these are to good of players to be making 16 silly turnovers and giving up 14 of 22 threes against opponents like these at this point on the season. Just saying, if you're gonna use the midmajor "slight" to inspire the troops and raise your profile, then you must also walk the walk of an elite program and not complain that expectations are unrealistic when they are much the reason you were able to lure the recruits, get the TV time and secure the facilities you did. Few's as good as they come and he may well be right -- maybe this isn't a team of destiny -- but I still don't like to hear him (more or less) say "We're not UNC or Duke, we're just little old Gunzawga taking the best shot the WCC can dish out." Come on, you think Calipari is down in Memphis chomping BBQ, gloating about winning 50+ straight in Conference USA? Bollocks!
    Post of the year FuMan! I honestly felt sick to my stomach hearing this stuff come out of Few's mouth. To me it's a media spin to lower expectations when we falter in March yet again. The WCC crown is all fine and dandy but when are expectations going to be raised around here? Remember when Matty B and the fellas were talking about a undefeated season and NC aspirations? Where did that go fellas???? After 10 straight WCC crowns, WHO CARES?. Want more!!!!

Default speaking of bollocks

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    Post of the year FuMan! I honestly felt sick to my stomach hearing this stuff come out of Few's mouth. To me it's a media spin to lower expectations when we falter in March yet again. The WCC crown is all fine and dandy but when are expectations going to be raised around here? Remember when Matty B and the fellas were talking about a undefeated season and NC aspirations? Where did that go fellas???? After 10 straight WCC crowns, WHO CARES?. Want more!!!!
    I know it's difficult for the antsy children to want to arrive at the destination 2/3rds of the way through the trip, but the driver MUST and always WILL be forced to explain that there is still 1/3rd of the journey yet to be navigated. Stuff happens. They happen every week. Ask coach K.

THEREFORE, once again, children, it makes no sense, and is indeed, pure Bollocks, to keep jumping ahead when there is road to be covered. For without covering that road, there is no end. Nada. Zip.

The journey is the experience. And the experience is still underway.

No sane coach is going to start speculating that far ahead. It would be folly.

Why this doesn't occur to the nit and picking and coaching and punditry society waiting four stops ahead of the train is really bollocks.

And why an interview like this isn't just as clear is evidence of a classic symptom of tin ears moreso than what Few is saying, imo.

A basketball team usually takes on the style, and excitement of it's coach. Just like in the work place, a worker usually gets excited, and is more productive when there is a strong style of leadership.

This is not a knock on Mark Few, but just an honest interpretation of who he is. He is not a real rah,rah guy. His teams reflect that style. He does not seem comfortable in the media, or public speaking engagements. Yes, we occassionally will have certain players that will bring that, but it does not come from Mark Few.

I think if he is honest with himself, Gonzaga is the perfect fit for him. I would really question his being comfortable in a program like Arizona where the demand from the outside is great.

Default the most successful college coach ever was

Quote Originally Posted by collegebasketballfan View Post
    A basketball team usually takes on the style, and excitement of it's coach. Just like in the work place, a worker usually gets excited, and is more productive when there is a strong style of leadership.

This is not a knock on Mark Few, but just an honest interpretation of who he is. He is not a real rah,rah guy. His teams reflect that style. He does not seem comfortable in the media, or public speaking engagements. Yes, we occassionally will have certain players that will bring that, but it does not come from Mark Few.

I think if he is honest with himself, Gonzaga is the perfect fit for him. I would really question his being comfortable in a program like Arizona where the demand from the outside is great.
    John Wooden.

Imo, Few patterns his public personae after Wooden. As for fit, the only real, secure, comfortable way to fit in is winning. Wherever you are. Year after year. Year in and year out.

But even with all that, as you can read right here on the GUB, there are folks who know better how a winner could improve. I am one of them at times, too.
    Last edited by gamagin; 02-18-2009 at 08:29 AM. Reason: wooden, tnx TIZ03 !

Default who???

Who is this Mr. Wooten you speak of?

I figured you meant John WooDen (UCLA), but after the 2nd time you mentioned Wooten and say that Few models him it does make a little more sense. I mean Few is a good coach who does not like attention. This Wooten fellow must have stayed out of the public's eye as well.

Well, I'm not sure who John "Wooten" is, but as most of us know, Mark Few is class.

One other little point, and I know he was only tossing in shots, but AD had no brace on. Loosing that mill stone will make a huge difference. Let's hope...

Quote Originally Posted by gamagin View Post
    John Wooten.

Imo, Few patterns his public personae after Wooten. As for fit, the only real, secure, comfortable way to fit in is winning. Wherever you are. Year after year. Year in and year out.

But even with all that, as you can read right here on the GUB, there are folks who know better how a winner could improve. I am one of them at times, too.

Me too. Kind of makes me feel silly when you put it that way.

I LOVE our coach. I'd go to the mat for him, for what he's accomplished on our behalf.

You find some cool links to share, gamagin. Thanks.