• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oczagfan
    Bulldog Fan
    • Nov 2007

An educated assessment ...

Not surprisingly, many of you point fingers at the players after tough losses and express confusion as to why they have a tough time winning big games when it's so clear they are loaded with talent. I posed these questions to a former 12 year NBA veteran (that played the 4 position) and was very successful in his career.

I know many of you think Gonzaga struggles because of a "lack of effort" or "attitude problems," but I want all of you to read where the majority of the problems lie (in the opinion of someone who knows all too well)

Below are the questions I asked, followed by his exact responses.

1. Why does Gonzaga have such a difficult time with bigger opponents?

Gonzaga plays small ball with big people. Mark Few is coaching a big team but is using a small man's offense. He needs to change with his personnel. But, like most coaches, they know one offense and will live or die with that system. They either don't know or believe TODAY'S PLAYERS can learn more than one offensive set, which in Coach Few's case, is motion.

2. Why do they struggle with rebounding … both offensively and defensively?

The strength of the Motion Offense is that you never know where a player might be at any time so it is difficult to scout and prepare for defensively. That is also The Motion Offense’s biggest weakness. The offensive big men might be on the post or the perimeter at any time. The Motion Offense is unpredictable! Big Men HATE the Motion offense. When you run set plays most plays are designed to have two to three guys on the boards at all times. The Big Guys know when the shot is going up so they can fight for position before the shot is taken. That never happens when running a motion offense. Defensively, a good coach who plays man to man tries to funnel players in a certain direction … i.e. baseline or to the help player etc. Coach Few’s defense has holes everywhere for attack and his zone defense is very weak.

3. Why does Coach Few insist on playing a motion offense instead of set plays?

The main motion offenses are 5-man motion, 4-out 1 in motion, 3 out 2 in motion and Flex. Unless Gonzaga runs motion like North Carolina where the focus is getting inside or to the big guy on the box or free throw line, it is a bad offense for guys 6'9 and taller... Motion is designed to spread the floor to create spacing for drives and three point shooters. Big Guys don't drive and usually don't shoot 3-pointers. I have seen Mark Few run great set plays out of timeouts. His players always seem to score or get fouled. I think coaches are lazy when all they teach and run is motion. It is impossible to think one offensive set can beat every team. You will never see a college football coach call one play for the entire game. Why should basketball be any different ?

4. What are the obvious signs that our big men aren't being taught proper and productive post moves by the coaches that are supposed to be teaching them?

When a Big Man catches the ball in the post and immediately passes back out, you know he doesn't have a post move. You can see the fear in the player's eyes when he catches the ball.

5. Why won't this style of play ever yield a win in the NCAA tournament?

5 man out motion will not win a championship. You must pound the inside and control the boards to win championships. Look at Florida's two championships. The two 7 footers in the middle controlled the paint, on defense and the boards.

5. Why can't the Gonzaga coaches admit their mistakes and come up with an offense that will give Gonzaga a chance to win?

For the Same reason UCLA lost three times in the final four. You can't run the same thing and think someone can't stop your offense. The Triangle Offense was stopped last year by Boston. Kobe couldn't get a shot off... UCLA and the Lakers use one offensive set. Boston and Florida run several offenses and plays … both played excellent defense. Rebounding and defense wins Championships!!!

6. Why do our big guys work so hard to get open in the post, just to be looked off by the guards that subsequently shoot a bomb?

Mark Few doesn't believe in the post game or his post players. If he did, he would force the guard to get the ball inside to the big men every game. Mark Few will need inside scoring in the Playoffs, but it will never happen. If you don't develop an inside game during the season, it won't be ready in the Playoffs.

7. Why do you feel it takes a former player at the 4 or 5 position to successfully coach big guys post moves?

Big Men fight for younger big men... A small coach may know the moves in theory but he doesn't have passion about the position. When I see a former guard assigned to teach the post, I laugh. You never see a 7'0 ex player teaching guard moves ... Kareem has made Andrew Bynum of the Lakers a great young center. If one of the guard coaches had tried to teach Bynum, the young man would not be as good as he is today.

8. Why is it basketball suicide for any "big" to come to Gonzaga?

Name me a great post player ever to come out of Gonzaga. Name me a great Guard or Guards from Gonzaga? Name me great big men from UCLA, Stanford, Georgetown or North Carolina. These schools have a history of developing great big men. If I was a big man I would run not walk away from Gonzaga. This is a Guard school, nothing wrong with that, if you are a guard!
  • GoZags
    Super Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Casey, Cory, Ronny and J.P. may disagree with that assessment. And was the assessment true the year Gonzaga led the nation (and finished top 5) in Rebounding (differential between rebounds and rebounds given up)?
    sigpic
    “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
    ——-
    List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
    Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• former1dog
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by oczagfan View Post

Name me a great post player ever to come out of Gonzaga. Name me a great Guard or Guards from Gonzaga? Name me great big men from UCLA, Stanford, Georgetown or North Carolina. These schools have a history of developing great big men. If I was a big man I would run not walk away from Gonzaga. This is a Guard school, nothing wrong with that, if you are a guard!
      Casey Calvary, Cory Violette, Jeff Brown, Bakari Hendrix, Ronny Turiaf and JP Batista were all under recruited big men who thrived offensively and improved immensely as big men at Gonzaga and all were great players for our program. No offense to whomever the mystery interviewee is (who makes some good points), but he doesn't seem to know the personnnel that have been through Gonzaga.

Comment

• J-Lo
        Kennel Club Material
        • Feb 2007

Started out interesting, but seemed to turn pretty quickly into a Few witch hunt. Certainly some of the points are valid, but I hope those weren't the actual questions that were asked. "Why won't the GU coaches admit their mistakes..." "Why won't this ever yield an NCAA Tournament championship..." seem to be pretty negative questions, not really soliciting open feedback.

I would agree that our inside game/big men remain pretty under-developed. The responses are very correct when they say "Name me a great post player to ever come out of Gonzaga." JP, Cory, Turiaf, etc., were solid inside players, but none have become "greats" outside of our GU-lensed world. With some better development, however, I think it might have been a possibility.

Comment

• 2011Zag
          Bulldog Fan
          • Nov 2007

Thanks OC for these insights. I agree and disagree with multiple parts of your post, especially hows these views pertain to GU and this years team.

Whatever people say, I agree that former big men should teach young big men. I'm sure smaller coaches can understand and their are definitely exceptions to the rule (i.e. Pete Newell) but It has to be more helpful to learn from a person that has experienced it first hand.

As far as the opinion of the motion offense I'm a little skeptical. There have most certainly been teams that have been very successful with motion offenses and I believe it depends 100% on the types of players.

This years team does not have a classic low post big man like Kareem or Bill Walton. No matter how much we want Josh to fit the J.P. mold, he never will. With the types of players we have, the motion offense makes the most sense.

The fundamental philosophy of the classic low post man is starting to die out. The amount of classic big men has decreased severally and basketball is migrating towards European trend of big men that are mobile and can shoot.

They're just aren't enough big men to go around anymore, and the few that are available (i.e. Josh Smith) will go to big name, big conference teams like UCLA and UNC.

The rest of the country is then forced to play with undersized bigs that try to pull classic bigs out the the perimeter or recruit "project bigs" and hope they can become productive during their senior year.

Comment

• theirishzag03
            Kennel Club
            • Jan 2009

My Co-Worker just asked me

A question I could not answer....

"When was the last time Few took the blame?" Or when have you heard any of the coaching staff say... "It was our or my fault" I or we did not prepare or game plan correctly???

Not trying to pile on....just saying

"Life is GRAND....Divorce about 100 Grand!!!"
            "Shin= A device for finding furniture" Woody Paige

Comment

• GoZags
              Super Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by theirishzag03 View Post
              A question I could not answer....

"When was the last time Few took the blame?" Or when have you heard any of the coaching staff say... "It was our or my fault" I or we did not prepare or game plan correctly???

Not trying to pile on....just saying
              Great point. He should take the blame for 9 straight dances. He should take blame for the National schedule. He should take blame for double figures in tourney wins. There's a lot he should take the blame for ---- yet he doesn't.

Conversely, I don't recall him ever saying that he WAS the hero. I worked really hard on recruiting and I signed a GREAT class. I really game planned well and that's why we won.

I wonder why? Do you think maybe because it's not all about him, or his staff? They succeed as a team --- and in cases where they're not successful it's as a team? Maybe?
              sigpic
              ——-
              List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
              Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• GonzagaDynasty
                Banned
                • Dec 2008

Yeah, I'd like to know who this NBA stud was... Its easy for people to put the blame on coaching. Afterall, all you have to do, is fire him and sign someone else who will "build the program overtime"... Few and Gonzaga have had plenty of successfull Bigs go through the program. Gonzaga used to be among the nations best rebounding teams for years.... Gonzaga has No TRUE Centers, with the exception of Big Rob, and I guess Foster, if you can call him a basketball player.. Daye and Heytvelt are NOT centers, and You cant teach them to be something they aren't.

Second, Gonzaga's offense has rarely ever been a problem. The problem is, Gonzaga lacks true Big men down low. This means No post play, and bad rebounding. Combine that with Pargo's ability to SUCK terribly, and You're going to lose games.

Calvary, Violette, Turiaf, Batista... Not a shabby group of Bigs...

Comment

• DoggieDogpound
                  Kennel Club Material
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by GonzagaDynasty View Post
                  Yeah, I'd like to know who this NBA stud was.....
                  I am guessing David Greenwood - UCLA.
                  "You can observe a lot just by watching"
                  Yogi Berra

Comment

• Tlambou
                    Redshirt
                    • Feb 2009

Keeping it classy!

Originally posted by GonzagaDynasty View Post
                    and I guess Foster, if you can call him a basketball player

Comment

• billyberu
                      Bleeds GU Blue
                      • Feb 2007

5 man out motion will not win a championship. You must pound the inside and control the boards to win championships. Look at Florida's two championships. The two 7 footers in the middle controlled the paint, on defense and the boards.
                      I seem to recall Gonzaga teams in the past consistently and successfully pounding the ball into the post. Of course, when you have classic big men like Cory Violette, Ronny Turiaf, JP Batista and Richard Fox it makes it all the more easier to do. I don't see a classic back to the basket big man currently dressed for the games right now.

Having a coach who was previously played PF or C positionsin college or the NBA is always a plus, but is it necessary? I have my doubts because otherwise you would see teams stocking their coaching rosters with former big men. Just because you played the position doesn't mean you can coach it and conversely just because you didn't play the position doesn't mean you can't coach it. My feeling on this is that they are recruited with a certain skill set and are developed while here at Gonzaga. I see the development of formers bigs (that were lightly recruited at that) as proof of that.

An interesting Q & A that brings up some valid points, but suffers from being slanted in the type of questions (mostly negative) asked.
                      There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright

Beat everyone, and enjoy drinking from a chalice filled with their salty tears.
                      Surfmonkey89

Comment

• mendiant
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Ya gotta love "mystery men"

Ya gotta be amused by California.
                        Go Zags...
                        Go Pilots...
                        Orange County <sigh>
                        A Zag is generous.

A Zag knows he is much more than the sum of his stats.

A Zag has a desire to be part of something that is bigger than himself.

Comment

• vandalzag
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by oczagfan View Post
                          Not surprisingly, many of you point fingers at the players after tough losses and express confusion as to why they have a tough time winning big games when it's so clear they are loaded with talent. I posed these questions to a former 12 year NBA veteran (that played the 4 position) and was very successful in his career.

I know many of you think Gonzaga struggles because of a "lack of effort" or "attitude problems," but I want all of you to read where the majority of the problems lie (in the opinion of someone who knows all too well)

Below are the questions I asked, followed by his exact responses.

1. Why does Gonzaga have such a difficult time with bigger opponents?

Gonzaga plays small ball with big people. Mark Few is coaching a big team but is using a small man's offense. He needs to change with his personnel. But, like most coaches, they know one offense and will live or die with that system. They either don't know or believe TODAY'S PLAYERS can learn more than one offensive set, which in Coach Few's case, is motion.

2. Why do they struggle with rebounding … both offensively and defensively?

The strength of the Motion Offense is that you never know where a player might be at any time so it is difficult to scout and prepare for defensively. That is also The Motion Offense’s biggest weakness. The offensive big men might be on the post or the perimeter at any time. The Motion Offense is unpredictable! Big Men HATE the Motion offense. When you run set plays most plays are designed to have two to three guys on the boards at all times. The Big Guys know when the shot is going up so they can fight for position before the shot is taken. That never happens when running a motion offense. Defensively, a good coach who plays man to man tries to funnel players in a certain direction … i.e. baseline or to the help player etc. Coach Few’s defense has holes everywhere for attack and his zone defense is very weak.

3. Why does Coach Few insist on playing a motion offense instead of set plays?

The main motion offenses are 5-man motion, 4-out 1 in motion, 3 out 2 in motion and Flex. Unless Gonzaga runs motion like North Carolina where the focus is getting inside or to the big guy on the box or free throw line, it is a bad offense for guys 6'9 and taller... Motion is designed to spread the floor to create spacing for drives and three point shooters. Big Guys don't drive and usually don't shoot 3-pointers. I have seen Mark Few run great set plays out of timeouts. His players always seem to score or get fouled. I think coaches are lazy when all they teach and run is motion. It is impossible to think one offensive set can beat every team. You will never see a college football coach call one play for the entire game. Why should basketball be any different ?

4. What are the obvious signs that our big men aren't being taught proper and productive post moves by the coaches that are supposed to be teaching them?

When a Big Man catches the ball in the post and immediately passes back out, you know he doesn't have a post move. You can see the fear in the player's eyes when he catches the ball.

5. Why can't the Gonzaga coaches admit their mistakes and come up with an offense that will give Gonzaga a chance to win?

For the Same reason UCLA lost three times in the final four. You can't run the same thing and think someone can't stop your offense. The Triangle Offense was stopped last year by Boston. Kobe couldn't get a shot off... UCLA and the Lakers use one offensive set. Boston and Florida run several offenses and plays … both played excellent defense. Rebounding and defense wins Championships!!!

6. Why do our big guys work so hard to get open in the post, just to be looked off by the guards that subsequently shoot a bomb?

Mark Few doesn't believe in the post game or his post players. If he did, he would force the guard to get the ball inside to the big men every game. Mark Few will need inside scoring in the Playoffs, but it will never happen. If you don't develop an inside game during the season, it won't be ready in the Playoffs.

7. Why do you feel it takes a former player at the 4 or 5 position to successfully coach big guys post moves?

Big Men fight for younger big men... A small coach may know the moves in theory but he doesn't have passion about the position. When I see a former guard assigned to teach the post, I laugh. You never see a 7'0 ex player teaching guard moves ... Kareem has made Andrew Bynum of the Lakers a great young center. If one of the guard coaches had tried to teach Bynum, the young man would not be as good as he is today.

Reminds me of the old posts by Mikeness.....could it be him or a just an imitaion?

Comment

• GoZags
                            Super Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by vandalzag View Post
                            Reminds me of the old posts by Mikeness.....could it be him or a just an imitaion?
                            While there certainly are similarities -- my guess is Mikeness would show off his "knowledge" himself -- without interjecting a mystery big man.
                            sigpic
                            ——-

Comment

• billyberu
                              Bleeds GU Blue
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by GoZags View Post
                              While there certainly are similarities -- my guess is Mikeness would show off his "knowledge" himself -- without interjecting a mystery big man.
                              I don't know...Mikeness has been missing for so long from these parts (thankfully so) as he didn't always get the warm reception his basketball addled brain thought was rightfully his. That guy could put a monkey on meth to sleep. No joke.
                              There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright

Beat everyone, and enjoy drinking from a chalice filled with their salty tears.
                              Surfmonkey89

Comment

Working...
                              X