Thread: Who are your toughest Zags?

Default Who are your toughest Zags?

I've only been closely following the team since 1990 but my toughest guys are:

Scott Spink
    Scott Snider
    Quentin Hall
    Casey Calvary
    Mark Spink
    Mike Nilson
    Ronny Turiaf
    JP Batista
    David Pendergraft

Honorable Mention:
    Matt Santangelo
    Gonzaga Basketball
    Exhibiting Character Since 1907

Demetri Goodson
    Matt Bouldin
    Steven Gray
    Austin Daye
    Josh Heytvelt

also my starting 5.

Really Pendo, JP, and Ronny were three of my favorites.

I've been informed with neg rep that "we've already done this post". Sorry to bore you all with reminders of toughness.
    Gonzaga Basketball

how about Stepp? Didn't he play injured through his senior year+?

Quote Originally Posted by McZag View Post
    I've been informed with neg rep that "we've already done this post". Sorry to bore you all with reminders of toughness.
    Can't be as bad as getting negged for a game prediction. Jeesh, people are way to fast to find that "rep" button now a days.

that's a pretty lame neg rep. nobody's forcing anyone to read this thread. the person that gave you that rep w/o signing it is not a tough Zag.
    youtube - "The Runner"

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2013

Dumbing down the internet, one post at a time

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2011

Me.... I was a zag, just not on the basketball court.

I countered with positive rep. I trust that the value of the positive rep was on the order of magnitude far exceeding the negative rep.

Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    I countered with positive rep. I trust that the value of the positive rep was on the order of magnitude far exceeding the negative rep.
    Thanks for the pos rep REAL Zags Fans! Some people just don't want to be reminded that success only comes from hard work. The Zag program was built on the backs of the tough guys. That's who we have to thank and should admire.
    Gonzaga Basketball

Chesty.

One of the four-legged bulldog mascots for the Zags of yore.

He broke away from his handler during a game, ran on the court, and bit a referee.

That's tough
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Quote Originally Posted by CroatiaZag View Post
    how about Stepp? Didn't he play injured through his senior year+?
    Stepp played all season with a meniscus that was torn in three spots. He had microfracture surgery months before and everyone thought that was why his knee swelled so much after 40 minutes of practice and after games. Unbeknownst to everyone, he had three tears in his meniscus. And yet he played alongside Dickau and helped that team go 29-3 or some such thing.

Blake was frikkin' tough.

Few called him (and others) out for not being gym rats like some other Zags had been, so instead of dismissing it or pouting or whining, he clipped out the article, taped it to the headrest on his bed and it pissed him off everytime he saw it, and he'd put in extra time and played harder than ever before, just boiling under the surface.

That kid was one helluva competitor.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Methow, WA (near a known Mark Few fishing hole)

I've only been closely following the team since 1990 but my toughest guys are:

Scott Spink
    Scott Snider
    Quentin Hall
    Casey Calvary
    Mark Spink
    Mike Nilson
    Ronny Turiaf
    JP Batista
    David Pendergraft

Honorable Mention:
    Matt Santangelo

I like your list. I would, however, make one addition to it and that would be Cory Violette. Very underrated if you ask me and one helluva tough competitor.
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright

Beat everyone, and enjoy drinking from a chalice filled with their salty tears.
    Surfmonkey89

Default The Mighty Casey

Casey Calvery was not only tough, but I believe he left an entire generation of Zags that learned to be tough from him. Just reading the stories in "Tales From the Hardwood"-- it seems that Corey Violette, another tough Zag, took a regular beating in practice from him, and ended up being a better player for it. Maybe Casey is available as an assistant "coach."

I've only been closely following the team since 1990
    If you've been following the team since 1990, you should remember Marc Armstead. He was one tough dude.

What about that guy that played for Utah?
    youtube - "The Runner"

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2013

Dumbing down the internet, one post at a time

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2011

Ira Brown. A 6'4" player guarding centers.

Mike Leasure needs to be added to the all time toughzag list. To come back from the surgeries he had and fight his way back into the rotation of our greatest team shows nothing but toughness...

Quote Originally Posted by VinnyZag View Post
    If you've been following the team since 1990, you should remember Marc Armstead. He was one tough dude.
    Indeed. I thought the Spokesman did a story on him one time about how he got jumped by three dudes and somehow one of the dude's noses ended up near his mouth and that was that.

Guy could frickin rebound though.

Bakari was a bad mofo as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SamwiseTheZag View Post
    Mike Leasure needs to be added to the all time toughzag list. To come back from the surgeries he had and fight his way back into the rotation of our greatest team shows nothing but toughness...
    He's a cop in Portland now, that has to be a +1 on the toughness scale.

Raivio should definitely get a mention. I mean you don't just naturally become over a 90 percent free throw shooter. That kid put in the time.
    It's F4 or bust.

Quote Originally Posted by Das Zagger View Post
    Indeed. I thought the Spokesman did a story on him one time about how he got jumped by three dudes and somehow one of the dude's noses ended up near his mouth and that was that.

Guy could frickin rebound though.

Bakari was a bad mofo as well.
    Bakari was one tough hombre and an intimidating leader on the court. I'd take 3 of him and one point guard and one big man any day.

Demetri Goodson
    Matt Bouldin
    Steven Gray
    Austin Daye
    Josh Heytvelt

also my starting 5.
    obviously a pargo hater. demetri, daye, gray tougher than jeremy? our guard who plays through everything to try and help this team win? thumb, hand, shoulder, thigh, cramps, ankle.... for those not in the know, regardless of what you think pargo would and does eat meech up. wow. but back to the original post, spink and nilson are my two "toughest" zags.

Quote Originally Posted by Das Zagger View Post
    Indeed. I thought the Spokesman did a story on him
    I still remember the headline on that story, which I won't repeat here because I think it was borderline in poor taste. But it made me laugh at the time.