• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jim77
    Zag for Life
    • Oct 2007

Upon further review....

We'll, I decided to go back and watch the game. I just wanted to get another feel for what happen. In doing so I get a different feeling alright. My conclusion is that we we're more a victim of BLOWN oppurtunities than of 8feet tall hulksters....I mean NO offense to Memphis who deserved to win. I'll do my best to explain my point.

Go back and watch our 3 point attempts....we had more than a handfull that were WIDE open. In fact almost ALL were wide open....that ain't dominating defense...thats just plain missing an open shot. We also had Josh 3 feet from the bucket get stripped twice....and loose the ball mid-air(withut being touched or blocked out) which he should have dunked...I'm not dissing the big guy either...next time pass Josh the ball higher so that he isn't getting a pass to low to handle. Also, I noticed that our guys are standing around on offense. How hard is it to cover a guy who's standing still...especially when the defenders have 6 foot long arms and cat quick.(no pun intended tigers) When we did run a play, as soon as the guys made their cuts they'd just stop...we need more motion on offense.....our athletes thrive when given space to operate. To make matters worse...since the wings were generally just standing in quicksand, Pargo would try to force the action. Its not like Pargo had any other choices...then when we did finally force a shot Memphis had 3 or 4 guys at the rim. Why? Cause the Memphis defender is smart enough to stay between his man and the rim.....which in fact put the Memphis defender a couple of steps from the rim. Most of the above is from the first half observations.

In the second half the tiger worshipping continued as the score got out of hand...When did the game finally turn around??? When we start taking the game to them...when we started pressuring the ball. Did ya notice what happened when we pressured the inbound pass...they muffed it up...numerous times. Too bad it took till the end of the game to figure out that they don't know how to run an inbounds play. The 26 point lead evaporated quickly once we put the heat on THEM. In fact it was only 12 point lead with 1 and change to go...they got the other points through intentional fouls. Don't give me they intentionally backed off either....we started hitting them in their weak spots....seems we do have pretty athletic players.

My conclusions: Quit showing the other team so much friggen respect...test them! If the can weather it, fine. We loose. But, don't go out their with a water pistol when the shotgun is in the house. Next, my apoligies to Mr. Bouldin whom I said could not get to the hoop against Memphis. He could if the other 4 guys are screening and moving....same for Pargo. Meech took it right down their throats. As far as athletic plays go....we had the 2 most athletic plays of the game....Meech's 2/3 court pass to Josh for the dunk...or Ira's skying over Kemp and Evans for the 3 point play off of a steal. We do have the athletes to compete we just need to quit gawking and start playing. Rob's return would also free up Josh and give us some more quality hacking/rebounding. Yes, Rob can man one up.

Keep you're heads up Zags...take it to St Mary's!

P.S. When Micah is hot from 3 LAND....feed him till he misses!
  • NEC26
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

I couldn't agree more they were in our face and our offence was always 30 feet out. We just let them take us out of our flow and we got flustered. On defense I wish we would have done the same to them rather than sitting in the zone and watching them tear it apart.

Comment

• jim77
      Zag for Life
      • Oct 2007

No offense NEC...they scored 68 points. I believe it is below their season average. They managed 28 in the second half...not bad defense at all. Our offense is the bigger problem.

Comment

• NEC26
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

I agree our offense was the problem but sometimes when you get aggressive on the defensive end it translates over to the offense. I just thought we were playing back on our heels rather than taking the game to them.

Comment

• jim77
          Zag for Life
          • Oct 2007

I think between Memphis's quickness and missing open shots....we did get down a bit. Even if Memphis misses a shot..they still make you work hard...in fact they make you work hard for everything. We can do better. Perhaps more frequent substitutions to keep the fellas mentally/physicaly sharp. We can win the wcc with Brown/Meech/Downs getting more minutes. They did have us on our heels.

Comment

• rawkmandale
            Banned
            • Feb 2007

This is a good thread. YES - pressure THEM despite the name on the uni. I also don't think it would have hurt to put Foster in for short stints - maybe three or four stints of a couple minutes duration. Change things up. jim77 did a good job of reviewing what happened. Thanks for your work. I thought about watching it again, but just too busy, and not certain if I could handle the nausea.

Hey, Memphis is championship-capable. We would be too if we brought the mental approach we showed at Portland. It's apparently all in the head. We have the size and skills.

Comment

• adallastiger
              Bulldog Fan
              • Feb 2009

Calipari called off the dogs...

Not sure if I agree with you here. Calipari did not want to run up the score. My goodness guys we had a 26 point lead. The Tigers were milking the clock to not make you guys look worse than it was.

So we lost some intensity. As I posted before, I do believe you were tired from Thursday. Still, you did not get a lot of easy shots.

The 26 point lead reflected the difference. Cal did not want to make it worse.

Comment

• bigblahla
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

My voice has been added to that of many others on this board who think we should press and pressure for 40 minutes, to no avail. There's a difference between being the hunter and the hunted.

Go!! Zags!!!
                "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Comment

• Birddog
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

All you need to know is right here in B&W

They absolutely killed us on the boards 39 to 25. That's 56% more RBs. On the offensive glass it was Mem 13 GU 5, that's 62% more. We only had 5 2nd chances to their 13. Throw in the less than stellar shooting and you see why we lost. Additionally, they had 5 blocks and 7 steals to our 3 steals. They had way too many opportunites to score, and they did.
                  Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
                  Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
                  All mimsy were the borogoves,
                  And the mome raths outgrabe.

Comment

• MDABE80
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

18 FG's and losing the boards 37-21 is symptomatic of what's ailing this team. No matter how hard and long Josh has been aimed at the rebounding component of his game, he won't go underneath. Sad to say, he's no Dirk Nowitzki........and he never will be. Josh lacks the discipline and he hasn't developed those skills. Great kid....he's gotten through school with some adversity. He's just a big kid who does what he wants. If it works out for the team..fine.....if not......fine but he won't do what it takes to win. Just won't. He's all we have now though. I'm not being harsh..it's just I'm seeing.

The kids gave up on the game.....just gave up. The 2nd team didn't give up. Meech ran at Memphis like a PG should. Expect this type of offense next year. Meech's idea of a game is a serious "go at em and put them on their heels" like you might expect from a football player. I like that. It's a lot better than lounging around waiting for something to happen..which is what I thought I saw on Saturday. I liked the team in the last 10 mins of the game.not because they went on a 13 pt run. That team actually tried. That team would have won the game or at least made a game of it.

We saw a team (Memphis) who has improved the whole year is is hitting its stride at the tournament comes round. GU isn't hitting anything. Put up against a strong team, we're just not tough enough to dig in, do a gut check and go at em. This is what we need to even manage a swt 16. Few has some serious work to do. He'll do it. Not sure if this year's edition will respond. We'll see.

Comment

• jim77
                      Zag for Life
                      • Oct 2007

I thought Josh played the best out of the starting 5. Even if Josh camp out under the rim we weren't gonna win the rebounding battle. We certainly aren't against a team that sends 3 or 4 to board on BOTH ends....and athletic guys to boot. When our wings/3rd guard are still standing in the corner waiting for pargo to pass out of his double team it ain't gonna happen. I agree Abe about increasing Meech's and Brown's game minutes....not as a piunishment to others but, to up everybody's intensity levels....less fatigue. It was clear we weren't willing to expend the energy they were...except for the group that finished.

Hats off to the Memphis Tigers for their top 10 ranking...they deserve it.

Comment

Working...
                      X