X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zagcoug
    Redshirt
    • Feb 2009

Arent we trying to compete nationally though? Of course Pargo is good enough for the WCC it's a weak league that doesn't prepare us for the tourney or games like this.
    Pargo isn't even playing that well in league though actually. He was horrible against even Pepperdine! I know it won't happen but Meech has more more heart and should start.
    Who do you think Knight was talking about when he said shaking up the lineup?

Comment

• btzag
      Bleeds GU Blue
      • Feb 2007

Knight is a HOF'er but if the Zags ever took on his personality and opinions I would no longer be a fan. Don't forget he is just a talking head now who probably saw the Zags play for the first time all year.

Also don't forget that these so-called experts were calling this a home game even though they know it is not their home court. Lots of neutral fans out there right now probably think that Spokane Arena is somehow K2.

Like I said before, Few might need to have a quicker trigger when effort is in question but at this point in the season there is no way that you bench your senior pg in favor of a true freshman. Daye is an even more difficult decision because they have zero backups for him. They need him like no other player on their team and that is just a fact. I know he needs to grow as a player but we have seen his effort before and we will see it again soon.

Comment

• CDC84
        Super Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Arent we trying to compete nationally though? Of course Pargo is good enough for the WCC it's a weak league that doesn't prepare us for the tourney or games like this.
        The problem is that the non-league schedule is over, and we're nearing mid-February. The priority is to win the league at this point. Pargo has had more good games than bad games in league play so far. He was the WCC player of the year for a reason last season. SMC's guards really struggled with him in the 2nd half last week. He presents too many matchup advantages to sit him, even when he's turning it over and making some bad decisions.

Bob Knight is not aware of the personnel that exists within the WCC, and he hasn't seen Pargo play enough within the WCC. He's been coaching too much Big 12 and Big 10 basketball.

I've seen Coach Few operate enough to know he would never start an inexperienced freshman PG in the environment Gonzaga's going into Thursday night unless that PG was Derrick Rose. It's just not what he does as a coach. And he especially wouldn't make such a move with just a few weeks left in the regular season.

Comment

• zagcoug
          Redshirt
          • Feb 2009

If Sacre comes back next week we could do a lot more with our lineup.
          Move Heytvelt to power forward where he's a more natural fit; Downs/Daye to small forward, Bouldin to the two and Meech/Pargo to the one.

Comment

• theirishzag03
            Kennel Club
            • Jan 2009

How about

Going back to the ORIGINAL starting 5 that won the OSC???

DOWNS, PARGO, HEYTVELT, BOULDIN, and DAYE???

Quick trigger for lack of effort and/or energy! Sub more, play harder! Ira, Meech, and Gray in quick. NOT 8 to 12 minutes into a half! We play like spoiled kids sometimes. With an attitude of "Entitlement" instead of a survivor/fighter.

Adversity is not our friend, we need to play through it. The officiating was horrific tonight, like 2 completely different games at each end of the floor. Mauled at one end without a whistle and quick whistles at the other end. But instead of playing through it and getting pissed, we cry.

What happened to black jerseys??? We should have worn pink! Maybe Few could make them wear PINK until they show otherwise.

"Life is GRAND....Divorce about 100 Grand!!!"
            "Shin= A device for finding furniture" Woody Paige

Comment

• jim77
              Zag for Life
              • Oct 2007

It sure would be nice to have Rob back...It would have been nice to have more muscle in there. We got killed on the boards....If Rob is cleared, screw the redshirt. Having Josh and Rob in there would change things.

Comment

• rawkmandale
                Banned
                • Feb 2007

Yeah, we need Rob back on the floor.

Comment

• GolfZag
                  Bulldog Fan
                  • Nov 2008

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post
                  The problem is that the non-league schedule is over, and we're nearing mid-February. The priority is to win the league at this point. Pargo has had more good games than bad games in league play so far. He was the WCC player of the year for a reason last season. SMC's guards really struggled with him in the 2nd half last week. He presents too many matchup advantages to sit him, even when he's turning it over and making some bad decisions.

Bob Knight is not aware of the personnel that exists within the WCC, and he hasn't seen Pargo play enough within the WCC. He's been coaching too much Big 12 and Big 10 basketball.
                  I've seen Coach Few operate enough to know he would never start an inexperienced freshman PG in the environment Gonzaga's going into Thursday night unless that PG was Derrick Rose. It's just not what he does as a coach. And he especially wouldn't make such a move with just a few weeks left in the regular season.

I think Bob Knight is more aware of the personnel that exists in the WCC as much as anyone in the country. He isn't saying to shakeup the lineup because he doesn't think Pargo is a good point guard. The reason why he is saying that is so it will light a fire under his @ss. Imagine how fired up Pargo would be next game if he came off the bench after about five minutes into the game. It has absolutely nothing to do with Pargo's matchup advantages or his ability....it's all about intensity or lack thereof. Pargo and others showed zero intensity tonight and that is the reason Bob said to "shake it up".

Comment

• CDC84
                    Super Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

I think Bob Knight is more aware of the personnel that exists in the WCC as much as anyone in the country.
                    There are people who rarely post on this board that know 10x more about what goes on in the WCC than he does. Red Sweater is being paid by ESPN to analyze BCS level basketball - mainly involving teams from the midwest and back east. I would be willing to bet he couldn't name you one player on LMU's roster, and maybe even 2 or 3 head coaches in the WCC. That guy's in bed dreaming of the deer he's going to be hunting the next morning by the time most WCC games tip off. Most national sportswriters and TV analysts don't know squat about the WCC and its personnel ....he doesn't either.

That being said, I think he's a very good game analyst. He's kind of like Rick Majerus, but with a much better delivery.

Comment

• zagfan1
                      Zag for Life
                      • Nov 2007

In then end we want to contend in the NCAA tourney. We need to find that starting 5 that will get us there. I believe with the change in the lineup GU still wins in the WCC. Goodson started slow as he made turnovers but he made up for it in the second half. Pargo has given up. He is hurting the team and deserves to be benched. There is not way to change his confidence at this point. I am sure Few has done everything to help Pargo and Pargo has not responded. I would rather see a team that plays hard and has emotion and lose the WCC then a team that has no emotion and selectively plays hard and wins the WCC but gets slaughtered in the tournament. What are we really trying to accomplish here?

Comment

• bballbeachbum
                        Zag for Life
                        • Dec 2008

Please

I will never believe Bob Knight has a good thought for us, cares for us, would ever give a sincere idea to help us. That's just crazy.

And I don't know what game you all watched, but when Meech came in after about 5 minutes, he was the deer in the headlights, end of discussion. Yes, he played much better when he got another chance in the 2nd half, but when he entered the game, he didn't look at the basket at all and played intimidated.

I am not ripping on him...he's a freshmen!!! I love how he responded when he got back onto the floor. But he really struggled in that first half, just like everyone else.

My point is Jeremy. It's not effort, come on. It's confidence. Anybody who has played knows. I hope he can make his first shot in games down the stretch here, because his confidence is shot, and man do we need him.

And those of you piling on SUCK. Fair weather fans make me sick. Talk about weak wussies.

Now anonymously neg rep me for calling you out in public and prove my point.

Comment

• montanazag88
                          Kennel Club Alum
                          • Sep 2007

Pargo is only one guy. Bench the entire starting lineup for the start of the next game? Nope. Bench them if they don't:
                          - play tight man-to-man
                          - fill the paint with 3-4 superior-positioned players on every shot (not just rebound)
                          - get back on defense (looking behind them as they go)
                          - make hard screens on every attempt (Memphis was required to make no difficult switches last night)

Attitudes of the players do reflect the coach, but coaches recognize player's lack of energy early in games and apply some serious public humiliation (sorry gang, but that's what works with today's elite athletes..and we have them) before it gets ugly. If it gets ugly, there was no way to win regardless, but you didn't risk a month-long meltdown of confidence.
                          montanazag88
                          P....A....TIENCE!

Comment

• Zaghuatanejo
                            Kennel Club Material
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post
                            The problem is that Pargo is still a dominant guard within the WCC. See the Portland game. Most guards within the league don't have a prayer of guarding him, and with Patty Mills being out, SMC is likely going to struggle with him as well. There's less incentive to make a change. There are no Antonio Anderson/Tyreke Evans guys within GU's conference.

If Demetri Goodson ever wants to start at PG in this program, he has to stop hand checking and picking up cheap fouls. He's too overly aggressive on defense at times. I love his energy, but he has to stay on the court. He doesn't need to be that aggressive to be a good defender.
                            Agreed. He has quick enough feet to consistently stay in front of his defender and prevent penetration, yet he continues to reach in. I'm hoping it's just a Freshman thing but he seems to pick up 1-2 "dumb" fouls each game. If he just focuses on his denial of penetration, picks a few spots throughout the game to make those steals, and remains an absolute pest on defense we should be in good shape for the next few years.

Comment

• roxdoc
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

With our state of affairs as it is I would favor going for a medical redshirt for Rob. Used now he would be too little too late - let him heal and save him for a future "our year". This one isn't it.

Comment

• Hextall7388
                                Kennel Club Material
                                • Feb 2008

Pargo - I would not bench. He played terrible last night, but you could see that the effort was there. The majority of his turnovers were the result of trying too hard and making stupid decisions with the ball. I can accept that he had a bad night, and that he was no match for a top tier player like Tyreke Evans. Evans is just that much better that Pargo.

Daye - I cannot accept his lack of hussle and determination. I like Daye, but his pouting and mini tantrums out on the court have got to stop. He is a year older, but I don't see much improvement over last year on that front. If any NBA scouts were watching that game I'm certain that the message to Daye will be to stay in college another year. I would bench Daye for the start of the next game to send a message. If Daye is around next year, he and Bouldin will be the stars. I really hope Bouldin takes the leadership role early next year and Daye matures, because we have a lot of fresh faces and impressionable young players coming in that will be looking to Bouldin and Daye.

Bouldin did not play well, but I'm not surprised. There are two teams that are match up nightmares for Bouldin every year. Memphis and Washington State.

06/07
                                WSU 22 mins 2pts
                                Mem 27 mins 8pts

07/08
                                WSU 29 mins 0pts
                                Mem 31 mins 6pts

08/09
                                WSU 29 mins 8pts
                                Mem 27 mins 6pts

Josh - Never gave up! Loved the fight he had last night.

Gray/Downs - This is nothing against Gray, but I'd like to see Downs starting. Both could easily start, I just think Gray handles coming off the bench better than Downs. Downs appears plays with more confidence as a starter. Gray is consistent, whether he is starting or the 6th guy off the bench.

Comment

Working...
                                X