Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GUnit of the game--Santa Clara

Micah Downs. His defense in the half-court press the first half was just so great. Downs is beginning to drive more and more, and not just settling for the 3. I'm glad to see that. Defense tonight was so awesome, and I think Micah sets the tone on D.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Austin Daye, for keeping GU's foot on SCU's throat.

Austin - 20 pts despite a foul-plagued 1st half. Even bigger, 7 boards. He is really coming on strong.

Great call by Angelo - the staff really made progress on all the ills this team has been suffering. I was really impressed with the rebounding margin.

Lot of positives in this one.

The opening "d" barage for starters. Pargo looked good out there. Downs was all over the place and was a big part of breaking it open. Then there was SG and MB's dead eye shooting to capitolize on our steals. Its also good to see BIG Will getting more and more confident out there....the guy has some moves. Josh kept the pressure on Bryant not allowing him to get off to a fast start. The one thing that did surprise me was SC using a man defense against us.....BIG MISTAKE. The only team that should even attempt to try that is ST Mary's. I double dog dare other teams to try the same thing. Great performance by the players and coaches.

I'd like to see us come out and pressure SF saturday night right from the get go.

GO ZAGS!

I'll go with Pargo
    Last edited by jim77; 01-16-2009 at 12:04 PM.

Thanks Notorious, wasn't around to start it last night.

I didn't get to see ANY of the game....but based on stats, I'm rollin with DAYE. That's quite a line.

And dang, sounds like it woulda been a fun one to watch. I would have enjoyed seeing Foster I think.
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

To give credit where credit is due, I'd have to list every Zag that stepped on the floor! Wow! Having to pick one, I'll go with Downs. But again, to every Zag - that was a thing of beauty. Congrats.

Double digits assists for the boy from the windy city... P-Go gets my vote.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Default Matt the Man

Matt put the game away in the first half --
    Game over by half time - Boulding was the key in the first half drubbing

Micah was everywhere tonight, followed very closely by Bouldin. I love the intangibles!

The new and improved Micah Downs, he came off the bench with his cape flying and took over the game! Everyone on the team stepped up and the DEFENSE was final fourish...Great Job.
    “Great plays wins games, but teamwork and hard work wins championships.”

The reason I liked Ira's second dunk was that we were 30 points ahead. If it had been close, I would have been ticked off again at someone who has to tomahak something he could more carefully just make sure it goes in.

If Downs had had more minutes he would have been my favorite, but over all its

Matt Bouldin

he was tough in the early going and had 4 assists and shared the ball alot
    Austin had no assists was not passing around as much as usual
    I realize Austin, Gray and Matt probably have the green light from the coaches all the time, but I saw Austin take a couple of well defended shots when he had people to pass to

It seems so easy to hit those threes when we are relaxed, in our gym, fans back, etc. I just wish we could save a few of them for those close games. I love that this was against Santa Clara, and John, because they beat us at home, and I am a revengiste

Gotta go with pargo. He really looked like the pargo that began the yr. Assists, pressure d and some scoring.

Matt

Matt Bouldin

Default Matty

He is on fire right now. He set the tone in this game, played strong and had 1 turnover. 16pts, 5 rebounds, 4 assists...

Honorable mention to Daye, Gray and Micah. Micah brought so much energy to the game and forced several turnovers that he didn't get credit for in the steals category.

I would like to go with Ira just for the dunk alone...but Micah had the biggest impact. When he is all over the floor deflecting shots, grabbing rebounds, spreading the floor, we win.

Default Matt

Bouldin

Let's be honest, can't go wrong with any one of the the guys.

First Star: Micah (fire-starter)
    Second Star: Bouldin (love everything about his game right now)
    Third Star: Gray (was the main cause of the quick separation in the game- getting up 15 early)

I Stayed up 'til 2am watching the rebroadcast on Zagman's justintv site. Was worth it.

Keep up the great work Zags!!!

Have to give it to:.............The Team. It was the whole package tonight. Big Will is starting to get it and it is fun to watch. They all brought it last night. They should be proud of their effort.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world.
    Those who understand binary and those who do not.
    "Only a madman or an economist thinks exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world."

Func FOO

E .· ` ' / ·. F
    The FOO fuels me.

Next to Ira!s dunk, my favorite pic of the game, Matty B dancing along the sidelines, trying to stay in bounds ...

Default Matt

Always on the go. MATT

I like Coach Few. He had them ready, convinced them that they needed a better effort, challenged them, and got it, from everyone. We coaches on this thread had been talkin rebounding, they must have noticed also. Darn I hate it when the coaches are as smart as us.

I'll go with Downs. He had that intense, focused, motivated attitude that I just love to see in a Zag.

Honorable mention to Ira, Pargo, Bouldin, Foster, Gray, Heytvelt, Daye, and Meech. It's a shame there can only be one, because everyone deserves it for one reason or another.

going with Daye. Pargo is a very, very close second. He had a great game as the floor leader.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Gotta go with Matt. The second half he did,nt shoot as much because it was'nt needed. He concentrated on setting up others and playing hard nosed "D". Jeremy is the point guard and a great one,AD & Steven are the offensive stars, but Matt is now running this team, per Few. He was asked to shoulder the responsibility and he is answering the challenge.
    [/QUOTE]“Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team.”
    ― Scottie Pippen