Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storming the Court

Default Storming the Court

Question: Im a senior at Gonzaga and i've always wanted to storm the court before my collegiate career is over. I know that doing this makes SOME people think that we thought we could never beat UCONN. However, when i see teams storming the court on ESPN, all i think about is taking pride in the team, and how fun it would be to do so.

What are your thoughts on this? Lots of students have talked about doing it in the event of a victory.

1) I would assume that Key Arena is going to not be as open to this as MAC...2) Like you said, we could/should beat UCONN...I think you have to wait for something crazy, like a Final 4 Berth...look at alot of the other major programs...I can't remember when Duke or UNC fans stormed the court last...

Default The answer is somewhere in this great Pat Forde Column

Personally, I'm agin' in. Looks like yoiu aren't used to winning big games. The key: act like you've been here before.

By Pat Forde
    ESPN.com
    Updated: January 26, 2006
    Here are some rules on when to storm

Within the last 10 days, those crazy college kids from Michigan, Iowa, Indiana, Georgetown, St. John's and Tennessee have stormed the basketball court to celebrate big victories -- and for the chance to act like lunatics on TV. ("Look, Martha, there's our boy! Yes, the shirtless one with his face and torso painted, howling like a savage and jumping on that other child's back. ... Is that a whiskey flask in his back pocket?")

After watching all these giddy group gropes, it's high time to publish the Forde Minutes Court-Storming Protocol Guide. Students are advised to read the following rules and to act accordingly the next time their team agitates them to the edge of hoops ecstasy:
    Closest thing I could find to an exception to the general rule that storming the court should be frowned upon is exception 12, but no cigar here, as Memphis and Gonzaga are excepted from the exception:
    • The Lower Class Principle (12): If your team plays in a mid-major or low-major league and manages to coax (or trick) a BCS-conference school into visiting and you win the game, a storming is allowed. Exceptions: Memphis, Gonzaga or any other school whose program is demonstrably larger than its conference profile. Also: beating a certifiably horrible BCS-conference school (Baylor, Arizona State, Purdue, South Florida or anyone with an RPI worse than 150) is not worth the effort.

Default Leave it . . .

to St. Mary's, Pepperdine, Portland, LMU, San Diego, USF, Santa Clara and the like.

Be thrilled you get to experience 4 years of the highest calibur college basketball around.

Storm a women's game instead if you just can't resist.

Go Zags!!!!

Court storming is reserved for winning games no expects you to win. Zags no longer qualify. If that is what you expect from a men's basketball experience you were born too late as a Zag
    "thnk god for few" jazzdelmar(12/12/11 12:50pm)
    "When most of us couldn't buy a basket. Where do we get off anyway?!" siliconzag (11/17/06 5:45:41 pm)
    I am monitoring the price of a donut

Also: beating a certifiably horrible BCS-conference school (Baylor, Arizona State, Purdue, South Florida or anyone with an RPI worse than 150) is not worth the effort.
    My, how things change in a couple short years... Almost all Top 25 teams in that bunch now.

I remember tons of students just about storming the entire Logan neighborhood my senior year ('99)... Ah, those were the days. If this team makes it to the FF, I hope the campus gets to do that again...

saintzag Guest

Win a national championship and storm away!

No, i know exactly what all of you are saying. I just wanted to experience something like this during my tenure here at Gonzaga. I'm a Zag basketball addict.

Maybe you could start heading for non-Zag games at other schools

Seattle might be a good place when the weather is easier
    "thnk god for few" jazzdelmar(12/12/11 12:50pm)
    "When most of us couldn't buy a basket. Where do we get off anyway?!" siliconzag (11/17/06 5:45:41 pm)
    I am monitoring the price of a donut

Default IF you want a real experience

Storm the court during the 2nd quarter. Waiting til the game is over is lame, show you are a true fan and storm the court during a break in play or maybe while there is a fast break opportunity for UCONN. Take the ball and punt it to the cheap seats. You could make it perfect by dressing as your favorite star wars character. And remember to shout that Romar is a chicken farmer as loud as you can while the rent a cops drag you away. Or you could do as they said before and wait until the game actually means something.

Default If you want a real thrill . . .

try streaking the court. Anytime.

There is only one instance where I can justify storming the court, but it doesn't occur for a few more months.

Mac Court in Eugene tomorrow.

If the Zeros are able to sneak past the Pilots -- look for a good old fashioned court storming. Again -- that's if the Ducks don't wear the sombrero tomorrow against the WCC.

bartruff1 Guest

Default Screw them...

Why would you care what "some people" think....?? Go for it...

You might as well storm the court, most likely you will be the only one and then you can just hug yourself.

Storming the court is for perennial losers who get an occasional win. JohnOGU, you should have been a Coug if court and/or field storming was something you wanted to do to complete your college experience.

Quote Originally Posted by zagporvida View Post
    You might as well storm the court, most likely you will be the only one and then you can just hug yourself.
    As a contingent of security staff quickly envelop you, making it a group hug.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

You guys are all quite comical with your ridiculous responses. It was a serious question. Lots of students have been talking about storming. You all over play it. Storming also shows appreciation and respect that students have for their team. Who in the hell in this nation thinks that we never stood a chance? Think about it.

JohnOGU:

If the emotion and moment call for a court storming, then by God, go for it.

Have fun at the game and nevermind what others think.

Quote Originally Posted by vandalzag View Post
    Storm the court during the 2nd quarter. Waiting til the game is over is lame, show you are a true fan and storm the court during a break in play or maybe while there is a fast break opportunity for UCONN. Take the ball and punt it to the cheap seats. You could make it perfect by dressing as your favorite star wars character. And remember to shout that Romar is a chicken farmer as loud as you can while the rent a cops drag you away. Or you could do as they said before and wait until the game actually means something.
    Ok, that's very very funny. Nice work Vandal.

And to answer the original post: Buy yourself some final four tickets and hope that GU wins the whole thing because then, and only then, would storming the court be appropriate for this team, this year.
    If you can't handle the confusion, stay out of the Foo!

Uber on GuBoards: "Pathetic. We've got posters just sleepwalking through threads."

No Foo for You!

Storming the court as a top 10 team in the country would be embarrassing. Period.

Did Arizona fans storm the court on Sunday? That could be the answer to your question.

Storm the court when the Zags beat USC-Upstate. Make it comical. At least then you can say you once got to storm a court. The entire Kennel Club can storm the court after that game, just to say good luck and adios to the seniors who will have played their final game in K2.

The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

I agree with the other posters that say do what you want. I don't think that just because we are a good team that we shouldn't be aloud to storm a court. If I was there I'd be down.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Zach Norvell Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    If the emotion and moment call for a court storming, then by God, go for it.
    Yup. I agree with this. It isn't something that can be planned, and there are no real rules.