Thread: Meehan on # 3

Default Meehan on # 2

By Jim Meehan
    Staff writer

PULLMAN – In the span of about 70 seconds, Gonzaga’s Jeremy Pargo had a slashing drive for a layup, a lob pass that led to Josh Heytvelt’s dunk, a 3-pointer from the corner and a steal and another lob pass that was dunked home by Austin Daye.

And Gonzaga’s lead went from one point to 10 just like that.

It was the beginning of a dominating stretch that saw the fourth-ranked Bulldogs outscore Washington State 36-5 over the first 14 minutes of the second half en route to an impressive 74-52 victory.

“I did that or the team?” Pargo responded, when asked about his contribution to the 15-0 run that launched GU’s huge second half. “I didn’t know that. I just wanted to get out there and pressure those guys as much as I could without turning them loose and getting easy looks at the basket.”

As good as Pargo was in that sequence, his steady play in the first half was just as important. The Bulldogs were out of sorts on offense, but ended up taking a 32-29 lead as Pargo had six points, six assists and just one turnover.

“Actually, he’s the one that kept us in that first half,” Gonzaga coach Mark Few said, “We were very stagnant and we could have very well been down in that first half. And then he did what’s he’s been doing all year, which is spread the wealth. He got Josh going, Austin going and Steven (Gray) going.”

Few said it was another example of Pargo’s maturity over the last year.

“It’s a fine line,” Few said. “We want him attacking, but he’s attacking so much more intelligently this year and he has such a better feel for how the game is going.”

Pargo finished with 11 points, 10 assists and just one turnover in 25 minutes. He has 53 assists and 11 turnovers in seven games.“He’s played that way all year long,” Heytvelt said.
    Last edited by Zerogame; 12-11-2008 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Wrong number, my bad

or #2.............. Meech is #3

Nice article. Given that newspapers are tanking left and right and Meehan does very good work fir the S-R, I think we should refrain from pasting entire articles here and instead provide an exerpt and link back to the original article. Cheers
    “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few