Thread: Who Were the Refs?

Default Who Were the Refs?

Here's a site for keeping track of who the referees for GU games have been:

http://statsheet.com/mcb/referees/browse_team/gonzaga
    Last edited by Angelo Roncalli; 12-08-2008 at 11:49 AM.
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

cool site, thanks

Anyone bother to look up good old Dave?
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world.
    Those who understand binary and those who do not.
    "Only a madman or an economist thinks exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world."

Func FOO

E .· ` ' / ·. F
    The FOO fuels me.

Isn't the default answer 'Three Blind Mice' ??

We're pretty much steady eddies when it comes to PFs. Our line is almost straight on the graph at the bottom.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Default Dave Libbey did WHAT ?!?

USF Board thread link

For those of you anxiously looking forward to the return of Libbey to WMG.

I watched the USD-New Mexico game on TV last night. With 21 seconds left and NM winning by three, USD missed a shot and NM got the rebound. The NM player swung his elbows to protect the ball and nailed a USD player. Then Pomare jawed at the NM player. I have seen worse in intramural games; there was no fight and no one was hurt, no blood flowed.

Result: Libbey called a personal foul, one technical on each player and one technical on the NM coach who dared to question the craziness.
    If you are counting that is one personal and three technicals on one play at the end of the game.
    Glad I missed that display of officiating. . .

On the other hand:

Check out this thread at "The Official Forum" of www.officiating.com in which an excited Zebra celebrates his / her acquisition of a new set of kicks:

I kid you not

Early Christmas present to self.............

My new Reebok breezy low patent leathers came today.

I just improved my overall reffing ability by 20%!

Yeah!!
    I know being a Zebra can be a lonely, thankless, job, but WTF !?!

I remember being jazzed about some Buster Browns back in second grade. . .

One other choice thread title : "The kind of fans I hate."

I just love the internet. . .

Default The good news for us

is we have led our foes by a margin that bad calls don't, or haven't, affected us this year, so far.

I don't think anyone wants a game to come down to the call by this or that ref-- especially when he's having a bad (from our point of view) day.

Our Zags have also kept their cools, for the most part, and kept the refs inclined to play favorites from being a factor.

that's just the way it should be.

I don't know who the refs were vs. WSU, but they were definitely under some sort of influence. Or the fellow working our end of the floor was more active. Something was going on.

But it didn't matter in the end because we fixed it with a far superior performance and a greater spread than any number of bad calls could reverse.

I assume the refs review their performances, and the league does, too.

My only hope is they take the reviews seriously. I don't believe there are any crooked refs in the area, so it's more a matter of perceptions and personalities than prejudices, that dictate bad calls.

reviews would help all involved, particularly the refs themselves. It's a subjective business and they need to know when they are overstepping their job descriptions and emotions as much as any player or team.

Default West Coast Refs

I can't stand the way games are officiated out here on the west coast. Every year we play regional and conference games and the refs think for some reason that they have to control the game by calling ticky-tack fouls on both teams. It really kills us when we get to the tournament because we're used to playing 2 months of soft basketball where every reach and agressive play is called a foul.

In the big dance you don't see those fouls called and the refs seem to let the players dictate how the game should be played instead of the other way around. That is why the Memphis game will be so important for the Zags this year because it will give them a quality opponent who likes to play a physical game in the middle of the conference schedule.

I hope the refs on Sunday allow both teams to play a little more aggresively than the game in Pullman. It really disrupts the flow of the game and takes all the beauty out of the game of basketball.
    GU Class of '07