Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Winthrop Alum coming to Spokane

Had an e-mail from Winthrop alum as of 12:45 am this morning no tickets. I gave him a headsup on Craiglist and told him to check with the Arena at 5pm. Left my home phone with him but have not heard back as yet.

Two Winthrop reporters from HeraldOnLine.com also arrived in Spokane last night after midnight, after driving cross country. Their blog is fun to read and should be interesting to follow through Winthrop's stay in Spokane.

Looking forward to further news from WinthropGrad.

Local sports radio (1080thefan) in Portland just interviewed a 19-year-old student from Winthrop. He flew into Portland because it was cheaper and is waiting to board the train to Spokane this evening. He's pumped and said he is waiting to join the 25 other people he expects to be there from Winthrop. He says he's "the backup mascot". The radio guys were saying this is what March Madness is all about.

Wow, what a great time we have had here in Spokane. We spent tonight at fast Eddies and 211. Everyone there was ready and willing to talk WU/GU hoops. If I didn't have so many ties to home (namely, my family) I could easily stay here a while. You guys have every reason to be proud of your program and the town that makes it home.

Thanks again to BobZag and his connections at Ticketwest for hooking me up with seats for the game in the morning. We spent a little time with the team tonight and they look relaxed and ready to play. I hope you all are not disappointed with their performance. Please keep in mind that they are all EXTREMELY good young men. They just happen to be prepared to kick a little Irish tail.

After the game we are planning on visiting the GU campus. I can't wait. Thanks again for all of your help and support. You guys are the best fans I have ever had the privilege to get to know.

Oh man - this is exciting!!

Tough loss yesterday Zag's, I was cheering for you. Next year!!! You guys have a great team. Hopefully we can pull one out today.

Obviously, this trip has to be the highlight of a lifetime! Outstanding result!
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

bump for updates!
    youtube - "The Runner"

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2013

Dumbing down the internet, one post at a time

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2011

I'm wondering if WinthropGrad is already on the road for Seattle. I was sorry when I realized that he wouldn't be able to stay for Sunday's game, as he mentioned either here or on his thread on WinthropFans.Com. Seems he has to be at a trial on Monday back home.

I'm sure we'll hear from him sooner or later with his final wrap-up on his trip. So glad he was able to see his Eags win. He's sure added to my enjoyment of the tournament this year and made many more friends for Winthrop!

In the meantime, the two reporters fom South Carolina who drove cross country to Spokane to report on the Eags have an update to their blog here.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    I'm wondering if WinthropGrad is already on the road for Seattle.
    I'm wondering if he's back at Fast Eddie's or at the Season Ticket or the Viking or David's or Jack and Dan's or the Bulldog.
    I wear a helmet while internetting.

I think he is still here. The post where he said that they had to check out tomorrow before game time was made at about 5:00 THIS morning.

Default I just ran down Winthrop Grad!

I just crashed the Winthrop (in my newly fedexed attire) post game party and ran down Winthropgrad and his companion! It reminded me of the Zags early wins, the team, their players/family, Athletic director, coach/family were all there just being in the moment and made me welcome in about 2 seconds. Once they found out I was chasing down Winthropgrad a mom found him for me in about 2 minutes. Had a beer with the AD and his wife, both super nice folks.

Winthrop brought what they could to Spokane, including one of the players' family who sold their car to get here to watch their boy play. All in all, a great evening. We're about to go out on the town and have a little more fun.

Night!
    How to ride a horse:
    Step One - Mount the horse.
    Step Two - Stay mounted ...

Pardon me getting a little bit cheesy here, but I really love this thread, as it shows the good side of people. Granted, we're not talking about life-saving type things, but it is really cool to see how excited everyone is for Winthropgrad's journey, and how much people have tried to help a virtual stranger in whatever way they can.

I have never been to Gonzaga or Spokane, I have just been a fan of the Zags for 8 years, and a dedicated (perhaps rabid?) fan for 4-5 years. I've always pictured the alumni & fans as being like a family, perhaps because Gonzaga isn't a huge school like UCLA. It's nice to see that it's true. I sense there are a lot of those fans that are now adopting Winthrop for the rest of this tournament. Go Eagles!

Quote Originally Posted by 94zagoldwomanasherdsmen View Post
    Winthrop brought what they could to Spokane, including one of the players' family who sold their car to get here to watch their boy play.

Wow! Did you happen to catch who that was? That's awesome!

Default OK, time to get up...

I need my fix, WinthropGrad and 94Zagoldwomanasherdsman. So time for you two to wake up and fill us in on the rest of your evening. I'm living vicariously through you.

WinthropGrad rooted four your team yesterday against ND and will be in the Arena tomorrow and will be rooting for them again. You have a fun team to watch. Glad to have you in Spokane.

Did anyone ever think that there would be a link between Rock Hill, SC and Spokane, WA? This thread is truly a testament to the power of college hoops and their fans who love the game.

The relationship with Winthrop actually started a couple of years ago when one of theirs (WUEagle or something like that) began posting on our board. This was back when the board was smaller and civil discourse was the norm except with a few Husky morons. It's really a testament to civil discourse via the Internet. BZ can probably fill in the facts that I've missed or misrepresented.

Birddog

Default OK, finally rolled out of bed.....

Winthropgrad is gonna have one long drive back to Seattle..but he'll make it. We hit the evening tour of Spokane yesterday and were met warmly by every darned Duck fan! Spokane really seems to be a pretty warm spot full of nice folks....reminded me of why I like this town.

Brief recap - headed back to the WU hotel - they were finishing up their evening soiree in style and the diehards who had conquered west coast time were headed out on the town.

I gave various among them recommendations...Davenport Hotel, falls downtown, MAC, GU campus etc for a brief and much more civilized visit than mine last evening....What happens in Spokane stays..normally unprinted and non-photoworthy ;-)
    How to ride a horse:

This is such a great story. It should be on the local news. It shows how great GU fans are and what makes Spokane such a great community. Now I've got another team I've got to follow. Pretty soon I won't have time to do anything but check the boards!

Default Allright, I've had a little coffee and can fill in a few details

My assistant, who went to Winthrop called yesterday afternoon post Duck game and asked if I was going to the Winthrop aftergame festivities, I said no, she said hell yes y'all are they're at Ripples and they're lighting it up! Appartently she didn't use her connections in the WU bookstore so I could stay home when there was a Winthrop party in town. How she found the party, I don't know, she's a southerner, perhaps they can just find each other.

fast forward...

Walked into the Winthrop Party - immediately the AD walks up to me and says Hi with his wife, followed by a couple of moms who ask, of course, how y'all doing. I told one of them I was looking for the two reporters and the crazy attorney from Georgia and gave em my story about being a GU fan that loves Winthrop. Believe it or not, they knew exactly who I was talking about - the reporters weren't there yet, I saw them later....but as I was talking to Torrell Martin's dad (tell me that guy's not proud as all get out) one of the Winthrop moms comes walking up and says there's your guy (Winthropgrad) so I walk over and introduce myself - as "94zagoldwomanasherdsmen" tell me that doesn't make you feel stupid as a 34-year-old guy. Anyhow, the room was full of the team, the coaches, the alumni, and a bunch of little kids, really did remind me of a big family. The coach's wife was the DJ playing everything from hip hop to Skynard and George Thorogood...the players were dancing, the dance team was dancing - some of the moms...they were just in the moment.

Long story short, great win...great program, would love to see a home and home with Winthrop...I now have a standing invitation to seats at the Winthrop gym next year, I might just have to fly down and catch a game.
    How to ride a horse:

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    The relationship with Winthrop actually started a couple of years ago when one of theirs (WUEagle or something like that) began posting on our board. This was back when the board was smaller and civil discourse was the norm except with a few Husky morons. It's really a testament to civil discourse via the Internet. BZ can probably fill in the facts that I've missed or misrepresented.

Birddog
    Yeah, I (at the time, I was WUEagle) came on here when it was announced that WU and Gonzaga were going to be playing each other in the '05 NCAAs...There were some good discussions leading up to (and after) the game, so I usually stopped by now and then over the last couple of years. Then of course WU gets sent to Spokane this year, so it brought me (and others) back here again.

Quote Originally Posted by 94zagoldwomanasherdsmen View Post
    Long story short, great win...great program, would love to see a home and home with Winthrop...I now have a standing invitation to seats at the Winthrop gym next year, I might just have to fly down and catch a game.
    Hell yeah! You're welcome in our house anytime. I have thoroughly enjoyed your stories and I'm so glad you got to experience the Winthrop Family.

This thread is like getting hooked on a good television show. So is WinthropGrad still in Spokane and ready to watch what I'll predict is gonna be the most exciting 2nd round game? Friday was the first time I've seen Winthrop play this year and man are they fun to watch. The big man from New Zealand is the perfect complement providing the essential inside threat for a team that likes to run, run run. I can't wait to watch the guard matchups tomorrow vs the Ducks. Go Winthrop!

Default There's a somewhat sad ending to my side...

I had to spend the afternoon with a very sick horse, (she's fine, by the way, just a nice bout with Colic) and just got the bare bones updates (I don't want to talk about it) on the Winthrop game, and missed my chance to see and meet Bobzag for the first time...I heard the result though.... I don't think Winthropgrad had the time to make it back to the GU Bookstore judging from our perfomance Friday night, so I might have to send him a GU Sweatshirt to make up for it.

Here's another thought... I have this beautiful White Eagles/Winthrop hat that I'm thinking about putting on ebay, it's signed by the whole team. And the point of this would be to send a check for whatever it goes for to the parents of the player that sold their car to get to little old Spokaloo. I'm pretty sure I know who they are now but I'll check before listing, anonymously of course. Would y'all be willing to bid it up a little to send a check to some folks that paid a lot to see their boy play? I figured I'd ask ahead of time, and I'll get hold of the university and see if I can't just send it in their care anonymously with a note that says something like "lots of love, Gonzaga fans everywhere"

You'll have to trust me on the anonymity, but you can...

Let me know what you think of that, if so, I'll put it on tomorrow.
    How to ride a horse: