Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Winthrop Alum coming to Spokane

Default Winthrop Alum coming to Spokane

Hey Zags. A friend just talked me into booking a flight to the Pac Northwest. I have never been out your way before. I leave in just a few hours and I DO NOT HAVE TIX. Does anyone have any for the WU/ND session they are willing to part with? Or do you know of anyone who does? Any help would be appreciated. My email is rtidwell@rbt-law.com Looking forward to seeing your campus.

Quote Originally Posted by WinthropGrad View Post
    Hey Zags. A friend just talked me into booking a flight to the Pac Northwest. I have never been out your way before. I leave in just a few hours and I DO NOT HAVE TIX. Does anyone have any for the WU/ND session they are willing to part with? Or do you know of anyone who does? Any help would be appreciated. My email is rtidwell@rbt-law.com Looking forward to seeing your campus.
    Cross country flight on one day's notice: $1000.

Hotel in Spokane during the tournament: $150 if you're lucky.

Going across country and spending at least $1500 to see your team in the dance, when you DONT EVEN HAVE TICKETS LINED UP: Priceless.

Can you still get tickets through Winthrop's athletic office? I cannot imagine that their allotment is sold out, given the distance between the school and Spokane.

No. The entire staff has left for Spokane. There is nobody there to take calls! Can you believe that? That is how small we are. At any rate, we have a room already booked. Tix are my only concern.

I can't help you, but there have been folks occasionaly posting tix on these boards so you should check back.

I'll be interested to hear your story when you get back home.

I've been asked to blog the story on our fan website. www.winthropfans.com this is the epitome of last minute trips. I just decided to go about 2 hours ago. I'm meeting a buddy out in Seattle. We are driving to Spokane from there. I should be there about 10:30 p.m. tonight "your time".

I've heard that the Arena ticket office will be selling returned tickets tomorrow at 5pm.
    You also can call 325-SEAT. Good Luck!

WG,
    I did something similar in Memphis a couple years back. I was all set to buy some nosebleed seats when out of the corner of my eye I saw the GU AD I bolted into a secure area and asked him if he had tix, to which he replied YES! As soon as you hit town, locate the teams hotel and look for the AD etc. Also find out their shoot around /practice time. The AD and ticket people will be there. The hotels are seeded just like the teams, so yours might be a bit away from the arena. Other boosters are likely staying in the same hotel, and they might also be a good source.
    Good luck,
    Birddog

This is the most awesomest thing I've ever heard of! Good luck to you, WinthropGrad!
    I wear a helmet while internetting.

Default Try Washington State, too

I've been asked to blog the story on our fan website. www.winthropfans.com this is the epitome of last minute trips. I just decided to go about 2 hours ago. I'm meeting a buddy out in Seattle. We are driving to Spokane from there. I should be there about 10:30 p.m. tonight "your time".
    Washington State Univ. is the host institution for the Spokane games.

Try www.cougfan.com. Maybe some WSU people have some spare ones.

Perhaps also try the Washington State University athletic department - with the Cougs going to the NCAA in Sacramento, there may be some tickets returned for some reason.

Cool

dude, hope you get this message before you leave.
    I know someone who has extra tickets he's selling. they are in Sec. 222 Row A., if you still need tickets send me and e-mail with your cell # & I'll get the two of you in touch.

I'll be watching the game too! see you there.
    Last edited by lawzag; 03-14-2007 at 01:27 PM. Reason: add e-mail address - cvwrestlingmom@aol.com
    ZAGS RULE!!!

I don't have anything to add other than - I want updates!
    youtube - "The Runner"

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2013

Dumbing down the internet, one post at a time

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2011

I wanna know how this turns out, too.

I'll be helping to feed Coach Marshall and the whole team tonight, but professionalism and tact will prevent me from begging for tickets. And it sounds like you'll be into town a little too late to coincidentally drop by the restaurant.

Winthrop Alum has been provided for.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

you rock, Bob!

Default Nice!

I love it when a plan comes together!

Not sure what you did, Bob, but I'm glad you only use your powers for good!
    I wear a helmet while internetting.

Let us know how the visit goes too! If you need any tips of places to hit in spokane while you're meandering, I'm sure plenty of us around would be happy to help!

Default Winthrop Grad

Be sure to hit Jack and Dan's. It's a GU institution.

Default Gotta love Spokane

It's due to folks like you guys, why Spokane is such a great host city. I love this town.

haha, well behind Gonzaga and WSU, i'm rooting for winthrop!! I'll have my fresh from south carolina winthrop sweatshirt on at the arena Friday. KILL THE IRISH

Good evening Zag Nation.

For some reason unknown to me, our website, www.winthropfans.com, is down. So I hope you guys don't mind me posting an update on here. Let me start by saying that I have ALWAYS loved Gonzaga and I can't tell you how pumped I am to visit your campus. I don't claim long roots, but I was a big Dan Dickau (sp?) fan and I even ventured to Philips arena on numerous occasions to watch him play for the Hawks. From Dan, to Blake, to Rony (I speak 6 languages Turiaf) and Adam, I have always stayed up late to watch your games. We at Winthrop strive to be the East Coast version of Gonzaga.

With my respects paid, allow me to go into my day. At around 1:30 EDT, I got the go ahead from Mrs. WinthropGrad to embark on this adventure. I kissed my daughters goodbye, made arrangements for the rest of the work week, and took off for Atlanta. I live about 20 miles outside of the ATL. I am a small town guy who can only habitate so closely to the "big city". I hopped on MARTA (Atlanta Transit) and rode the train to the airport. Along the way, I met a professor at UVA who actually heard of Winthrop. It wasn't really a fair question because one of her kids went to Clemson. We beat Clemson a few years back. They won't have us back now. Once I got to the airport, an absolutely wonderful Delta attendant, Diane D., explained to me that I could upgrade to first class without any additional cost. She had to make a few phone calls to get the upgrade approved. I asked Diane if she had ever heard of Winthrop. She had not. At 7:35 I was cleared for my 8:08 take off. I ran as fast as I could without drawing the attention of TSA.

First class is the way to go when you have to take a long flight. There was a bottle of water waiting for me at my seat, 2F, along with a friendly stewardess wanting to know what I wanted to drink. I had an Amstel Light. I later learned they were serving Beringer Merlot. Not my first choice, but it was my last. She kept refilling my glass. First Class is not bad at all. Even on a bankrupt airline.

I sat next to a young guy name Ash on the way over. He went to UW, but he still was an ok guy. He recently graduated and now sells IT software all over the U.S. He was a really nice guy, but after about 2 minutes of conversation, I realized that he had no idea who Ty Willingham was. He gave me some wonderful recommendations re: things to do during my brief stay. I will be sure to hit as many as I can.

I still do not have tix for Friday's game against the Leprechauns. I have been contacted by a couple of great Zags, but to no avail, no luck as of yet. One had already sold his tickets before I started on this adventure. The other wants to sell 2 sets of tix for approximately $1,000.00. The practice of law in Georgia is good, but not that good.

My old room mate should be landing here in Seattle in about 2 1/2 hours. We are driving over to Spokane in the morning to watch practice. I hope to have some tix by then. We shall see.

I will be in touch soon. Until then, you guys be good.

WinthropGrad, I love this kind of post, with all the gory details of just how far a dedicated fan will go to support his team. Here's wishing you the best! I'm sure everyone on this board will do whatever they can to get you situated in Spokane Memorial Arena for Winthrop's games and point you in the right direction for a pleasant stay.

We'll look forward to a follow up tomorrow. In the meantime, sleep tight!

Don't want this thread to languish.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Keeping an eye out for WinthropGrad enroute from Seattle to Spokane?

Snoqualmie Pass - Bare and dry.

Thanks for the update! So far so good...

And I guess you have tickets now too!

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/...ead.php?t=1642
    Last edited by lothar98zag; 03-15-2007 at 12:37 PM. Reason: add link
    youtube - "The Runner"

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2013

Dumbing down the internet, one post at a time

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2011