Thread: Notable Passages: 2022

Default Notable Passages: 2022

Dan Reeves, who won a Super Bowl as a player with the Dallas Cowboys but was best known for a long coaching career highlighted by four more appearances in the title game with the Denver Broncos and Atlanta Falcons, died Saturday. He was 77.

A statement released by his family through former Falcons media relations director Aaron Salkin said Reeves died of complications from dementia. The statement said he died "peacefully and surrounded by his loving family at his home in Atlanta."

"His legacy will continue through his many friends, players and fans as well as the rest of the NFL community," the family said.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...player-dies-77

Director, writer, actor, producer, critic, and film historian. . . Peter Bogdanovich, Age 82

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...ow-1235070769/

Sidney Poitier, age 94.

Last edited by LongIslandZagFan; 01-07-2022 at 11:35 AM. Reason: First article I looked at had wrong age... corrected it.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Sidney Poitier, age 92.

Sad to see this legend pass, I was just thinking about him and Harry Belafonte the other day and hoping they'd make it to 100 together, but 94 isn't too bad.

Lani Guinier, a legal scholar whose work on voting rights and affirmative action led President Bill Clinton to nominate her in 1993 to be an assistant attorney general, only to withdraw her name two months later in the face of a Republican campaign against her, died on Friday at an assisted living facility in Cambridge, Mass. She was 71.

Her work was not without its liberal critics: Some scholars questioned whether her ideas about voting were in fact democratic, as she claimed, and several Democratic senators voiced their concerns about her nomination to President Clinton.

But her Republican opponents also made clear that their campaign was a matter of opportunity. Still stinging from the Supreme Court nomination battles over Robert Bork and Clarence Thomas, they were looking for payback, and saw her liberal views as an opportunity to hit the president early in his term.

The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Bob Saget, the comedian and actor arguably known best by audiences as wholesome patriarch Danny Tanner on the sitcom "Full House," has died, according to a statement from the Orange County Sheriff's Office in Orlando, Florida. He was 65.

Dwayne Hickman, TV’s Lovelorn Dobie Gillis, Is Dead at 87

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/09/o...sultPosition=1
    "thnk god for few" jazzdelmar(12/12/11 12:50pm)
    "When most of us couldn't buy a basket. Where do we get off anyway?!" siliconzag (11/17/06 5:45:41 pm)
    I am monitoring the price of a donut

Robert A. Durst, the scion of a New York real estate dynasty whose life dissolved in a calamity of suspicions over the unsolved disappearance of his first wife, the execution-style murder of a longtime confidante and the killing and dismemberment of an elderly neighbor, died early Monday as a prisoner in Stockton, Calif. He was 78.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/10/o...urst-dead.html

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Bob Saget, the comedian and actor arguably known best by audiences as wholesome patriarch Danny Tanner on the sitcom "Full House," has died, according to a statement from the Orange County Sheriff's Office in Orlando, Florida. He was 65.
    He was a true Aristocrat.

Quote Originally Posted by Corky View Post
    He was a true Aristocrat.
    He sure @#!! was, Corky.

Rosfaforte always struck me as one of the really decent golf scribes / commentators in The Golf Channel's stable.

A past president of the Golf Writers Association of America, Rosaforte covered more than 150 major championships. He received the PGA Lifetime Achievement Award in Journalism in 2014, and in 2020 he was awarded an honorary membership in the PGA of America, making him the first journalist and just the 12th person ever to earn such a distinction. In 2021, The Honda Classic, the PGA Tour stop in Palm Beach Gardens, Fla., created the Tim Rosaforte Distinguished Service Award and dedicated its media room in his name.
    https://www.golfdigest.com/story/tim...yst-dies-at-66

His long-time colleague Jaime Diaz writes of Rosaforte:

To that professional toughness, Tim brought kindness and empathy and warmth. It was why he had so many sources among the players, caddies, coaches, agents and administrators in golf, and why they always called him back. They knew if the freedom they felt with Tim led them to something more revealing than intended, the reporter would understand and present it in the right tone and spirit. It gained Tim trust and respect, and made him a distinctive among his peers.
    https://www.golfchannel.com/news/dia...gly-vulnerable

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/12/enter...ies/index.html

Ronnie Spector, the swaggering 1960s pop icon with the sky-high beehive whose sultry, quavering voice-powered numerous hits for The Ronettes, including "Be My Baby," has died, her family announced in a statement Wednesday.

She was 78.
    "Our beloved earth angel, Ronnie, peacefully left this world today after a brief battle with cancer," the family said. "She was with family and in the arms of her husband, Jonathan. Ronnie lived her life with a twinkle in her eye, a spunky attitude, a wicked sense of humor and a smile on her face."
    Her duet with Eddie Money on "Take Me Home Tonight" is one of my favorite pop records. RIP.

Joe B. Hall, UK men's basketball coach from 1972-1985, Age 93. Won an NCAA title in 1978. Hall also guided Kentucky to a runner-up finish to UCLA in the 1975 NCAA tournament, a Final Four appearance in the 1984 NCAA Tournament (losing to eventual champion Georgetown), and an NIT championship in 1976. He won eight Southeastern Conference regular season championships and one Southeastern Conference tournament championship.

Hall once toured with the Harlem Globetrotters

The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Terry Teachout, a cultural critic who, in his columns for The Wall Street Journal, The Daily News and other publications, brought his all-encompassing intellect to bear on Broadway, ballet, bluegrass and practically every art form in between, died on Thursday at the home of a friend in Smithtown, N.Y., on Long Island. He was 65.

He also wrote several highly regarded biographies, including “The Skeptic: A Life of H.L. Mencken” (2002), “Pops: A Life of Louis Armstrong” (2009) and “Duke: A Life of Duke Ellington” (2013).

He took some of what he learned from digging through the Armstrong archives to write “Satchmo at the Waldorf,” a one-man, one-act play that had its premiere in 2011 in Orlando, Fla. Not to be constrained by prose, he also wrote the librettos for three operas, all by the composer Paul Moravec.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/14/b...hout-dead.html

When I had a WSJ print subscription, I enjoyed reading Mr. Teachout's columns, reviews, commentaries.

https://www.npr.org/2022/01/14/10730...ut-dies-critic
    Last edited by RenoZag; Today at 08:08 AM.