Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good News on Josh!

Default Good News on Josh!

No trial, keeps his nose clean for a year and all is well.

Link? Source?

Default Link

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Krem news at 5

Someone I know sat in on the hearing. He will do 240 hours of community service, random testing and issued an apology.

Default Before anyone gets any thoughts on extraordinary leniency...

This the usual and customary sentence for ALL 1st time offenders. Has nothing to do with being a good or bad basketball player. It's been this way since one of our own grads founded the "Drug Court" years and years ago. So now, Josh and Theo are off for the rest of the year . Exactly what was predicted. Abe
    Last edited by MDABE80; 03-12-2007 at 05:19 PM. Reason: hyphenation was incorrect

Gonzaga "always waiting till next-year" Bulldogs

That's good news. Glad to see that the Spokie locals didn't decide to make an example of either of these kids.

Though I'd suspect most people feel like favoritism would come into play when the University came up to the plate to issue their consequences.

I'll be interested to know what happens with that. Theo could well be let off, but if Josh is I can think of at least two prior GU students who should take issue, perhaps legally, with the University over prematurely terminating their stay at Gonzaga.

Default "Spokie Local"

I'm a "spokie local" whatever that means. People here are generally open-minded and support giving the kid another chance.

Default drug court

In Oregon we have drug court and the person must make regualr appearences, have randon ua's and attend some classes- if they fail at any of that then what happens the matter is set for trial on the original drug charge. What happened to Josh is what would happen in Oregon with a person with no record- and he was not selling etc but rather charged with possession. I wish him the best as he may think the year will be easy but one would be surprised in how many people screw up the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by zagmantis2001 View Post
    I'm a "spokie local" whatever that means. People here are generally open-minded and support giving the kid another chance.
    I was referring to the "justice system" rather than the community on this one. Sorry for the confusion.

Theo will have the opportunity for a misdemeanor first time offender diversion program with much less strenuous obligations.

If things go as anticipated, neither will have a criminal conviction.
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Default I disagree with them coming back to the team.

I know that I might be in the minority with this opinion, but as I try to teach my students, you should alway express what you believe in no matter how unpopular. I don't think reinstating Josh or Theo says the right thing about GU. I think it does show favoritism. I say this for this reason. When I attended GU, Josh and Theo would have been asked to leave immediatly and told not to come back. And with that ending their time on the basketball team. I am all for second chances, God knows I made mistakes, but GU needs to be consistent. I also want to make it clear that I will ALWAYS be a Zag lover with or without Josh and Theo. But, I just wanted to express my reluctance to them coming back.

Peace

Everyone is entitled to their opinion--

This is one of those situations that no parent would ever want to go through-- but-Spike-- if Josh were your son-- would you feel the same way?--

We Zag fans are family-- I am willing to give Josh another chance---

Spike,

I disagree with your position but I really admire the fact that you posted it knowing that it would be unpopular.

I believe in second chances with provisions that must be absolutely met. If they are, I will support Josh and Theo coming back.

I didn't think they would ever play for GU again. But after hearing Few on ESPN tonight, I think they will.

It is good news. If Josh complies with all of the requirements which I'm confident he will, he deserves to rejoin the team. I think his future just got much brighter.

All due respect to Coach Few, but it isn't all up to him. Student Life will have a say in this one as well.

Time will tell. I have a feeling they will be back on the team and I hope that Coach Few is correct that it will end up being a great story.

I also hope that most of Josh's community service is speaking to teenagers about the dangers of drug use. Hopefully he'll make an impression on someone so that they do not repeat his mistakes.

Second hardest part of Josh's potential comeback will be going on the road. All of those fans will be accutely aware of his past and will not let him or the team forget. It will be rough. Hardest part, of course, will be earning back the trust of his team.

Has Coach Few issued a statement on this?

I'm not sure what to think. I surely hope a "lesson" has been learned and JH can come back clean and sober and focus on his responsibilities (family(s), school, team) and become a better person.

I would hate to see his arrival back break up any chemistry the remaining Zags have developed over the last month or so. DR graduates, so Pargo/Bouldin/Pmac can look to send JH the ball down low.

Quote Originally Posted by SteeleMan View Post
    Several statements.

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/...3860#post13860

Default Will Josh be treated differently?

I'll be interested to know what happens with that. Theo could well be let off, but if Josh is I can think of at least two prior GU students who should take issue, perhaps legally, with the University over prematurely terminating their stay at Gonzaga.
    BeatProgram,

Were these two GU students caught with drugs on campus or off-campus? Can you give us some more details of their situations?

Default AHHHHHHH Tough Question

I guess I would want my kid to have a second chance. I just love GU so much that I don't want to be looked at as sell outs to basketball. As much as I love GU basketball, I love GU more and I want to make sure it stays that very special place that it is to all of us. I guess as long as he is made to conform to some really serious regulations that will be OK. In any event I will alway bleed Zag blue. No matter what happens.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    I also hope that most of Josh's community service is speaking to teenagers about the dangers of drug use. Hopefully he'll make an impression on someone so that they do not repeat his mistakes.
    Not to be contrary, but wouldn't that message be a lot more effective if he were allowed to stay at Gonzaga to finish his education and try to carve out a nice life for himself, but not be allowed to play on the basketball team?

Otherwise the effect would seem to be negated by a wise teenager saying, "Dangers? What dangers? You did drugs, got caught by the police, were in the national media for it, had basically nothing happen except being forced to come here and talk to me, and then got to go on to play more college ball and probably get to the NBA."

Quote Originally Posted by NorthoftheBorder View Post
    BeatProgram,

Were these two GU students caught with drugs on campus or off-campus? Can you give us some more details of their situations?
    If I recall correctly. They were caught off-campus, indirectly. Which gave Student Life reason to search their room on-campus. A combination of the events that transpired led one student to be explicitly expelled. The other student was forced out, but without putting expulsion on his transcript/record.

In my mind the real issue is not Christian forgiveness, its putting next years terrific team in jeopardy if JH falls off the wagon. Lot at stake here folks.

Default JH Should Straighten Out Just Fine

Quote Originally Posted by SteeleMan View Post

I'm not sure what to think. I surely hope a "lesson" has been learned and JH can come back clean and sober and focus on his responsibilities (family(s), school, team) and become a better person.

I would hate to see his arrival back break up any chemistry the remaining Zags have developed over the last month or so. DR graduates, so Pargo/Bouldin/Pmac can look to send JH the ball down low.
    I'm a California relative of JH's. He deserves another chance. I'm very familiar with his background and that of all his relatives. His extensive family tree is full of nothing but good, GOOD people---long, strong marriages, very respectable occupations, loving children, generous and faithful to their friends and families---a very "Norman Rockwell" group. It would amaze me if he did not take this lesson as a very serious corrective sign on how to lead a good life. I want to see him on the court again next year. He won't let GU down again.