Page 73 of 83 FirstFirst ... 2363697071727374757677 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,825 of 2068

Thread: What's your weather like today?

+7f and clear
    So many brackets, so little time.

Quote Originally Posted by Akzag View Post
    +7f and clear
    Ouch!

It's sunny and in the low 40's. I think I'm going for my first outdoor run in a couple of weeks. I'm getting pretty tired of the treadmill.
    Bring back the OCC

Quote Originally Posted by gu03alum View Post
    It's sunny and in the low 40's. I think I'm going for my first outdoor run in a couple of weeks. I'm getting pretty tired of the treadmill.
    It decided to rain during my lunch but I went for an outdoor run anyway. I'm glad I did. It felt good. There was still some snow on the road in a few places.
    Bring back the OCC

Quote Originally Posted by gu03alum View Post
    It decided to rain during my lunch but I went for an outdoor run anyway. I'm glad I did. It felt good. There was still some snow on the road in a few places.
    How much snow did you end up getting the other week?

It was 8 inches deep and then some of it melted. Then it snowed another 3-4 inches so probably around 11 total.
    Bring back the OCC

nice....about 32.....partly sunny....no new snow today......a catchup day

So far: Rain, Snow, Wind, Cloudy, Sunny, low 30's and mid 40's. . .if you don't like the weather in Northern Nevada, wait an hour. . .took today off to tend to some personal business on the medical, financial, and career fronts. Got in lunch with a good buddy, a COSTCO run, and laid in some groceries for the next three days.

Mid 60's here in Mobile for the first Mardi Gras parade.
    Expecting 12-18" on the ground Monday when we get back to Spokane.
    I will have to shovel to get the snow blower out just to park the car.
    It's not funny.

Snowy. We went from a delay to school being closed. I put tuperware out early enough in the storm that we've got enough snow to make ice cream with the boys.

Skies are grey but no snow yet. Supposed to start this afternoon then switch to sleet and finally rain tonight. Evening commute forecast.... UGGGGGGGGGLLLLLLLYYYYY
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

It is going to storm today and tomorrow.

getting ready for another round of pounding rain.

I guess, that's better than snow.

Cold but it was sunny most of the day. Yesterday and last night was so unbelievably windy, a lot of our area lost power. My parents lost a tree at their house that we had planted when I was 3 or 4, it was one of those little Arbor Day saplings, but now 43'. Our power went off around 6:30 last night and it quickly got pretty cold in our house. We ended up bringing the 10 month old into our bed to keep him warm (and he took his 1/3 of the bed from my husband's side ). It is not fun trying to entertain small children who are bundled up like the kid in A Christmas Story. When we finally got power back, the house was only 49 degrees, luckily everything in our freezer was safe, just some minor loses in the fridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzgirl_127 View Post
    Cold but it was sunny most of the day. Yesterday and last night was so unbelievably windy, a lot of our area lost power. My parents lost a tree at their house that we had planted when I was 3 or 4, it was one of those little Arbor Day saplings, but now 43'. Our power went off around 6:30 last night and it quickly got pretty cold in our house. We ended up bringing the 10 month old into our bed to keep him warm (and he took his 1/3 of the bed from my husband's side ). It is not fun trying to entertain small children who are bundled up like the kid in A Christmas Story. When we finally got power back, the house was only 49 degrees, luckily everything in our freezer was safe, just some minor loses in the fridge.
    Do y'all live IN the city or out in the burg's, sis?

I ask bc I have just heard over and over how wonderful Pittsburgh is nowadays, the polar opposite of the sooty steal town of the 50-60s. It's not as big as Philadelphia (few are), but I've heard it's more livable, people nicer, very international feel without the "Hugeness" of the coastal cities.

I would think power would go out quite a bit in the leafy neighborhoods in the city itself.

Anyway, cloudy and high 60s here. Thunderstorms today. This time of year is scary here, bc when the fronts come racing down from the plains with all that cold air and bump up against the warm air from the Gulf, we get OUR tornados early, Feb/March, not May-June.

Tornados are terrifying. I have only seen one from a distance, and I was puckered, big, And they literally can set down anywhere. But here's a weird fact, something to do with topography here (slight rolling hills) makes them appear in certain spots more often than others, they're a bit territorial.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Cold and light snow
    Bring back the OCC

Cold...15 F......about 20 degrees below normal....but no snow this morning....I understand this weather is coming down from the Yukon....from the North....the normal pattern is from the Southwest.... it maybe Climate Change..but

I blame the skiers and their snow dancing....this is powder snow like they have at Alta...

Warm (high 40's, low 50's), cloudy and very windy.

Back in NE Montana, where I'm from, It -20, with wind chills at -40.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Do y'all live IN the city or out in the burg's, sis?

I ask bc I have just heard over and over how wonderful Pittsburgh is nowadays, the polar opposite of the sooty steal town of the 50-60s. It's not as big as Philadelphia (few are), but I've heard it's more livable, people nicer, very international feel without the "Hugeness" of the coastal cities.

I would think power would go out quite a bit in the leafy neighborhoods in the city itself.
    I think the suburbs usually take the biggest hit during the wind storms but snow is harder on the city for plows and parking (people designate their shoveled parking space with "parking chairs" so no one steals their spot. As far as livability, I love it, BUT I can see where people who are used to sunshine would absolutely hate moving here, I mean, George Washington even noted how dismal this part of PA is when he was a 20 year old surveyor lol. So liveability definitely means different things to different people...

We are in the closest northern suburb to the city. When it's not rush hour, we can be in the downtown area in 5 minutes, even during rush hour it's not bad. I think we have the best commute compared to some other burbs because we don't have tunnels. Our suburb definitely lacks diversity (as many do), our Catholic school was actually more diverse in race and ethnicity than the district (but our public elementary probably has the widest economic diversity in our district). Our suburb is also not very walkable. I think people are generally nice and then I read a comment section on a local news story and see how backwards some people really are. Overall I think most people won't be nasty to your face unless you're being a "jagoff", we don't do the whole deceptively sweet thing (I'm told the southern "well, bless your heart" means quite the opposite ).

Overall the city does have a pretty good cultural feel to it, some of it stemming from the industrial era, some of it from new groups who have chosen to make their home here. A few years ago they held a 200th anniversary parade to celebrate when we became a city (I think there's a YouTube video) it was like 2 hours long and had so many different cultural groups march in it that it felt like an Olympic opening ceremony, it was really special to see. Some neighborhoods still clearly have a heavy presence of their old immigrant past (evident even in the architecture) and some of the new immigrants are choosing to live in specific areas to have community closeby. So I'm happy to say I think the city remains more of a mosaic where you can appreciate each group's culture and influence than a melting pot (suburbs definitely skew melting pot, although you'll see haluski or pierogi on some suburban fish fry menus during Lent lol).
    I feel like in the past 5 or so years we've lost some of the restaurants that served ethnic food in some neighborhoods that were representative of the residents' heritage, but at the same time we've been lucky to have new places pop up to reflect the culture of some of our newer neighbors (Nepalese restaurants, that's one you don't hear of much, are popping up around town). I've had family on the same street in the Oakland section of town since the 30's and the church in their neighborhood did masses in Polish through the early 2000s, recently they've changed to Spanish to reflect new parishioners (they still have a group of mostly older women who will sing traditional Polish songs at funerals) so it's an interesting marriage of two countries you don't think of together. One of my closest "mom friends" is an amazing lady who's from Slovakia and spent the last 15 years living here, she's made a name for herself sharing Slovak recipes and so many people who didn't pay enough attention to their older relatives are grateful to have someone teach them how to make things they miss from their childhood.

We're also really lucky to have a lot of cultural opportunities (even though we'll always be seen as a sports town, we can dress up nice lol), there's several theaters, great museums, and the universities have interesting events they often open to the public.

Sunny and 25, but tomorrow’s low is -7. Gonna be-20 on Sunday. At least I’m not in Miles City, it’s gonna be -30.

Cold...about 25 but sunny....normal Feb. snowfall in Wenatchee is 2.5".....this Feb set the all time record of nearly 25 " …… about 65 " at my house....the bad news is that it is going to get colder next week....the good news is that snow will evaporate at freezing temperatures especially if the sun is shining, the humidity is low and the wind is blowing....a process called sublimation ...

Sunny and very cold. I drove back from Spokane yesterday and it was very clear. I'm pretty sure I saw Mt Rainier from east of Ellensburg for the very first time and I've probably made that trip thousands of times. I also got a great view of Stuart. It was so pretty in the George to Vantage area too with all the hills white with snow.
    Bring back the OCC

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzgirl_127 View Post
    I think the suburbs usually take the biggest hit during the wind storms but snow is harder on the city for plows and parking (people designate their shoveled parking space with "parking chairs" so no one steals their spot. As far as livability, I love it, BUT I can see where people who are used to sunshine would absolutely hate moving here, I mean, George Washington even noted how dismal this part of PA is when he was a 20 year old surveyor lol. So liveability definitely means different things to different people...

We are in the closest northern suburb to the city. When it's not rush hour, we can be in the downtown area in 5 minutes, even during rush hour it's not bad. I think we have the best commute compared to some other burbs because we don't have tunnels. Our suburb definitely lacks diversity (as many do), our Catholic school was actually more diverse in race and ethnicity than the district (but our public elementary probably has the widest economic diversity in our district). Our suburb is also not very walkable. I think people are generally nice and then I read a comment section on a local news story and see how backwards some people really are. Overall I think most people won't be nasty to your face unless you're being a "jagoff", we don't do the whole deceptively sweet thing (I'm told the southern "well, bless your heart" means quite the opposite ).

Overall the city does have a pretty good cultural feel to it, some of it stemming from the industrial era, some of it from new groups who have chosen to make their home here. A few years ago they held a 200th anniversary parade to celebrate when we became a city (I think there's a YouTube video) it was like 2 hours long and had so many different cultural groups march in it that it felt like an Olympic opening ceremony, it was really special to see. Some neighborhoods still clearly have a heavy presence of their old immigrant past (evident even in the architecture) and some of the new immigrants are choosing to live in specific areas to have community closeby. So I'm happy to say I think the city remains more of a mosaic where you can appreciate each group's culture and influence than a melting pot (suburbs definitely skew melting pot, although you'll see haluski or pierogi on some suburban fish fry menus during Lent lol).
    I feel like in the past 5 or so years we've lost some of the restaurants that served ethnic food in some neighborhoods that were representative of the residents' heritage, but at the same time we've been lucky to have new places pop up to reflect the culture of some of our newer neighbors (Nepalese restaurants, that's one you don't hear of much, are popping up around town). I've had family on the same street in the Oakland section of town since the 30's and the church in their neighborhood did masses in Polish through the early 2000s, recently they've changed to Spanish to reflect new parishioners (they still have a group of mostly older women who will sing traditional Polish songs at funerals) so it's an interesting marriage of two countries you don't think of together. One of my closest "mom friends" is an amazing lady who's from Slovakia and spent the last 15 years living here, she's made a name for herself sharing Slovak recipes and so many people who didn't pay enough attention to their older relatives are grateful to have someone teach them how to make things they miss from their childhood.

We're also really lucky to have a lot of cultural opportunities (even though we'll always be seen as a sports town, we can dress up nice lol), there's several theaters, great museums, and the universities have interesting events they often open to the public.
    Great answer. I enjoyed reading it. Unfortunately, Pittsburgh, unlike Philly, is not somewhere you're going to be "on your way" to somewhere else. So, I'd probably have to have something happening there to go. Though I have always wanted to take my family to Alleghany State park in the north area, bc we went camping there in the summers when I was a kid, don't ask me why Canadians from Toronto went to Penn to camp, that was never adequately explained to me, either.

You and your husband need to take a vacation to Toronto. I'd say take the kids, but unless you're independently wealthy ...

So, yesterday, we had the line of thunderstorms go through that ended up killing 23 in Alabama.

I think I noted how much I fear tornadoes. You sort of have to be in those squall lines to know what they're like. So powerful. At one point yesterday, I told my daughter it was raining harder than I'd ever seen it rain. It rained so hard we had trouble seeing the trees that were 20-30 feet out in the yard. Thunder cracked right above our heads. I kept my eyes on the trees, bc the wind was fairly moderate, but if one sees a huge gust, that's about all the time we have to dive into an inner closet. In rain that hard, it would be near impossible to see a tornado coming. The people who were hit with the tornado said they basically never saw it.

Today it is cold, high 40s ( I know that's not cold, but it was 77 and I was mowing 2 days ago). Good day to go catch a fish, I like days I don't have to watch my feet real closely for snakes.

Here's a thing, I found a gopher tortoise on our property. Very very endangered species. They're even a felony to "Move" in any way. Imagine a turtle with a shell the size of your mid-size TV and that's the gopher tortoise. I found out if my dog kills it, I am liable for a felony, but of course I can't move it, either. So, if my dog sees it, I either need to let it bite the dog and scare it, or get enough hot dogs on the other side of the house that the dog thinks "hot dog" every time it sees it and runs to the side of the house. Something like that.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Is it just my imagination or has there been a very significant change in the intensity and violence of the weather ?

Maybe I am just getting old but taking a cross country road trip in any season looks like risky business …… Or maybe it is just the reporting with 24 hour media and millions of cameras to record it...

A road trip across America is a real treat....but....even Sal would not go On The Road in this weather...

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Is it just my imagination or has there been a very significant change in the intensity and violence of the weather ?

Maybe I am just getting old but taking a cross country road trip in any season looks like risky business …… Or maybe it is just the reporting with 24 hour media and millions of cameras to record it...

A road trip across America is a real treat....but....Sal would not go On The Road in this weather...
    Do it the 2nd weekend of September. All kids back in school. The prettiest time of year. Mildest weather everywhere. I did it, and my family will never forget it.

When you find yourself driving through Iowa thinking you've found Eden, you know it's the best time of year.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post

A road trip across America is a real treat....but....even Sal would not go On The Road in this weather...
    I think it's absolutely getting worse. Just in the past 5 years we've had the long periods of cold from the "polar vortex" like 3 times. I remember one time in my childhood where it was so cold that school was closed, just once. My school was in the city and there were still mostly neighborhood schools at that point and not much bussing students, so while they didn't take snow as seriously as suburban schools, they did worry about extremely low temperatures...and still only had to close schools once. We don't really live in an area that gets extreme heat in the summer (I don't consider 80s and 90s that extreme compared to the Southwest) so I can't comment on that.

That video of the avalanche on I70 was crazy, did you see that? We'd driven through that area on one of our road trips, but you couldn't pay me to go through the mountains in winter!