Thread: Austin Daye #10 in Top 30

Default Austin Daye #10 in Top 30

From Gary Parrish at Sportsline-

1. James Harden (Arizona State)

Why he's here: Last season it was Kevin Love and O.J. Mayo who got most of the attention in the Pac-10, and for good reason. But now it's Harden's turn, and the dynamic scorer who averaged 17.8 points and 5.3 rebounds as a freshman should push the Sun Devils into the NCAA tournament.

2. Tyler Smith (Tennessee)

Why he's here: The SEC's Preseason Player of the Year averaged 13.6 points and 6.7 rebounds last season, his first at Tennessee. Still, he couldn't get the Vols past the Sweet 16. But that could happen this season, which is expected to be Smith's last in college.

3. DeMar DeRozan (Southern California)

Why he's here: DeRozan has NBA athleticism and the type of game that makes scouts drool. He'll score in bunches at USC, just like O.J. Mayo did last season. And then DeRozan should be a candidate to be drafted just as highly as Mayo, i.e., in the top half of the lottery.

4. Damion James (Texas)

Why he's here: James is a double-double threat from the wing, proof being how he averaged 13.2 points and 10.3 rebounds last season. It's unclear how well the 6-foot-7 athlete's game will translate to the NBA level, but he's a beast in college and thus Rick Barnes' best asset.

5. Sam Young (Pittsburgh)

Why he's here: There weren't many relevant players last season who made as significant a jump as the one Young made between his sophomore and junior campaigns. The 6-6 wing went from averaging 7.2 points to 18.1, and he's the main reason the Panthers will be in play for the Big East title.

6. Chase Budinger (Arizona)

Why he's here: Budinger was close to remaining in the NBA Draft but reversed course at the last minute. That means there are 17 points per game Lute Olson won't have to find elsewhere, and the smart money has Budinger leading the Wildcats back to the NCAA tournament.

7. Wayne Ellington (North Carolina)

Why he's here: Ellington's NBA stock took a hit at the NBA PreDraft Camp, but that has noting to do with his ability as a college scorer. The 6-4 junior averaged 16.6 points last season and is the weapon that helps keep opponents from collapsing on Tyler Hansbrough every possession.

8. Robbie Hummel (Purdue)

Why he's here: Hummel was supposed to be good coming out of high school, but hardly anybody expected him to average 11.4 points and 6.1 rebounds as a freshman while nearly leading the Boilermakers to the Big Ten title. That was a surprise. But this season even bigger things are expected -- from Hummel as well as his team.

9. Earl Clark (Louisville)

Why he's here: Clark averaged 11.1 points and 8.1 rebounds last season, which is respectable yet ho-hum relative to his potential. The guess here is that the Louisville junior will produce more this season, and if Clark shows consistency he could be the key to another Final Four for Rick Pitino.

10. Austin Daye (Gonzaga)

Why he's here: Daye's level of productivity hasn't yet matched his level of talent, but that should change this season. The sweet-shooting Bulldog is expected to be more of a focal point of Gonzaga's attack, and if he develops properly he'll help Mark Few win another WCC title while helping himself break into next June's lottery.

MZ- Not sure about Hummel and Ellington. That's three players so far. One more coming tomorrow.

With Derozan on the list...I'm surprised Jrue Holliday isn't there.

Surprised Jon Brockman isn't there in the top 10. Plays like a demon. Averages double double. I must be missin something.

Holiday made the list for guards. Brockman will make the list for PFs.

this guy undervalues earl clark.

not sure there are 2 guys on that list i would prefer to him

Wow! Awesome!! What an honor for Austin and the Zags. I hope Austin fulfills this early prediction. I'd love to see him, or anyone on the team, play basketball at that quality. To be in the top ten in preseason is just great. I don't see this kind of quality in Austin for this year, but let me tell yu, I hope that I'm dead wrong. Austin did not show me last year that he has 3 pt accuracy for as many 3's that he took, and I didn't see a lot of moves that could free him up. I saw some good moves sometimes but he never finished a lot of them. Not anywhere near where Adam was at the beginning of his Junior Year...IMO.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Wow, where to start? First off Daye is a sophomore. Can't compare Adam as a junior to Daye as a sophomore. Secondly, he averaged 11 points in 18 minutes a game. If you translate that to the 30 or so minutes he will be playing this year, that is about 18 points(I personally expect around 15 pts). This is actually one of the lowest rankings that i have seen of Daye. He has been in the top 5 in the majority of these rankings.

Daye is not going to need 3 years to be in the NBA. Lottery pick after sophomore year. Easily deserves to be in the top 10. We will see in about 20 days.

As far as the 3 pt comment. He averaged 41% and was leading the conference in 3's for the majority of the yr. He was shooting 71% behind the line for the first half of conf play. Just disregard that one.