Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Countdown to October 17, 2008 - First day of Practice Allowed

Default Countdown to October 17, 2008 - First day of Practice Allowed

93 days until the official start of basketball practice (October 17, 2008)
    17.5.2 Preseason Practice -- On-Court Practice.

A member institution shall not commence on-court preseason basketball practice sessions prior to 7 p.m. on the Friday nearest October 15 (see Figure 17-2). (Revised: 4/28/05 effective 8/1/05)

Countdown computer to first practice

121 days until first allowable Division I competition - - November 17, 2008

17.5.3 First Contest.

A member institution shall not play its first contest (game or scrimmage) with outside competition in basketball prior to the second Friday of November (see Figure 17-2).
    Countdown computer to first competition allowed

If I'm reading the rules correctly, we can also play some exhibition games against non-Division I competition on our home court after October 31. Link to rule.

Please let me know if any of the above is incorrect.

90 days until the young man on the right suits up for his first official practice with the Zags at MacCarthey Athletic Center?

Klein Collins' Demetri Goodson tries to get
    past Hastings' Tituf Mims during their game
    on Dec. 11, 2007. Hastings 69, Klein Collins 66

What the ...??? Meech doesn't lose! I demand an investigation into that slanderous caption!!!!

Saw him the other evening with Matt and Jeremy. Very shy kid. Sleek looking with great hops........since Jeremy was trying to hit him with a golf ball using a 9 iron......on the soccer field on Hamilton. Matt looks taller and way more chiseled. Nice kids.

Thanks for the report, Abe! Nice to know Jeremy and Matt are taking him under their wings a little bit and helping to make him feel at home, even if it's to make him feel like a little brother having to dodge big brothers' golf ball blasts!

Default By special request of MissippiZag!

First Practice can't come soon enough:

It is 69 days, 7 hours, 17 minutes and 10 seconds until Friday, October 17, 2008 at 7:00:00 PM (Seattle time)

And will we have a game the first day competition is allowed? Hope so!

It is 97 days, 8 hours, 15 minutes and 48 seconds until Friday, November 14, 2008 at 7:00:00 PM (Seattle time)

Can't wait to see these two in uniform that first game in K2:

(Photo from February 18, 2008, in San Diego, with Brandon Johnson)

Thanks ZN. Didn't we start on a Sunday last year. I hope we atleast start on Saturday this year. That extra day might actually kill me. Seriously though anyone know who are first game of the opening weekend will be? Idaho?
    "I enjoyed watching them play more than watching us play," Izzo said after watching his team eke out a 75-71 win over Gonzaga. "I thought they punched us in the mouth, picked us up and punched us in the mouth again."

That rascal Kitz sent me a spreadsheet that automatically calculates and displays graphically elapsed time between two dates. I adapted it to calculate the days remaining to the date and time the Zags' first practice is allowed under NCAA rules (maybe this year's Kraziness in the Kennel?).

First, it calculates the time remaining between today and October 17 (only 41 days, folks!) and then the time between September 1 and October 17 practice time. Mighty purty, if you ask me (yeah, I know you didn't)!

P.S. Kitz, apologies if my messing with the chart screwed up any calculations. If so, you can disown the result.
    Last edited by ZagNative; 09-06-2008 at 04:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    90 days until the young man on the right suits up for his first official practice with the Zags at MacCarthey Athletic Center?

Klein Collins' Demetri Goodson tries to get
    past Hastings' Tituf Mims during their game
    on Dec. 11, 2007. Hastings 69, Klein Collins 66

What the ...??? Meech doesn't lose! I demand an investigation into that slanderous caption!!!!
    Long time no talk ZAG Fans - spoke with Meech the other day and the kid is pumped up about the season and LOVES GU - told me he couldn't be happier and is ready to get the ball bouncing - ZN, had to let you know that the main reason KC lost that game was that we later found out Meech was really ill - played with like a 101 fever - kids a competitor - told you boys you were going to love him - as always- GO ZAGS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by htownzagfan View Post
    Long time no talk ZAG Fans - spoke with Meech the other day and the kid is pumped up about the season and LOVES GU - told me he couldn't be happier and is ready to get the ball bouncing.
    Hey, htown, nice to hear from you again. I've heard nothing but terrific reports aout Meech's play since he's been in Spokane, and I'm so pleased he is enjoying himself!

Here's one of his freshman team members, Grant Gibbs, who I am personally eager to see developing for the Zags over the next four years. He's got the clenched fists and the fire down pat, I'm hoping he finds as happy a fit here as you say Meech has.

GO GRANT! GO ZAGS! Only 32 days until official practice time!

Pic is fuzzy because it was a screen shot from a video, but I loved the fire it shows!

P.S. htownzagfan, I don't know if you've seen a game in Spokane, but if you want a taste of what Meech might expect from the crowd the first time he steps on the court to warm up for a contest in MacCarthey Athletic Center (hopefully, in 61 days, when the Zags play their first game this seaon), click on the link in my signature.

It is 61 days, 8 hours, 18 minutes and 56 seconds until Saturday, November 15, 2008 at 7:00:00 PM (Seattle time), until this young man will be in K2 to see the Zags tip off in their first competition of the 2008-09 season.

He's 2010 prospect Cody Larson, out of Sious Falls, S.D., Roosevelt HS, scheduled to make an unofficial visit to the Boone Avenue campus.

I've got a feeling the fans are going to make him welcome!

We've talked earlier here about Cody, in this thread.

Default Countdown

Hi Mods, Is there any way we can get the countdown to the first game posted?

Can't wait for the season!
    Oregon Zag

yes. I like the count down clock that cbssports has..
    http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball

Can't wait for the season to start!

So is the Montana State Billings an actual game? Or exhibition?

It turns out it's not an exhibition game, per BZ. I think what Bob explained was that it counts as a game, but it isn't counted in computing RPI, since it's a Division II team.

So when we win(if we do ) we will be 1-0. Cool I guess....now i don't have to wait until the Idaho game, to get pumped up. Even though it will be hard to get excited about Montana State Billings.

as long as the game is on TV I'll be happy.

... one day closer
    So many brackets, so little time.

Yup, it's now:

It is 33 days, 3 hours, 23 minutes and 24 seconds until the game against Wayne Saturday, November 1, 2008 at 5:00:00 PM (Seattle time)

And it's only:

18 days, 5 hours, 19 minutes and 31 seconds until Kraziness in the Kennel, Friday, October 17, 2008 at 7:00:00 PM (Seattle time)

Not sure of that time for Kraziness in the Kennel. Anyone know?

ZN, do you know if the Wayne State game will be shown on Fox Sports NorthWest? If not i guess i will have to wait 45 days for the MSU Billings game.

Although Kraziness in the Kennel will be on ESPNU, so that is a plus.

The official schedule, as you probably know, just shows it on KHQ and doesn't mention FSN, as do other games such as the MSU-Billings and Idaho games. I have a hunch it's not going to be on FSN.

I assume that if a couple of the freshmen end up red-shirting, Kraziness in the Kennel is going to be our only chance to see them on the Court this year, if even the exhibition game against Wayne State would count as a game and prevent a qualifying red shirt. Hmmm.

How does Kraziness in the Kennel work? Does it require a ticket to get in? I'd like to get up there to see it, if possible.
    Oregon Zag

It's free to everyone. They are trying to pack the place.

Does anyone know when the kraziness in the kennel is? I went to it last year and wasn't sure if they were going to do it again. It was pretty sloppy and I was sitting just behind coach Few and he didn't look too happy about the style of play.

I thought Kraziness in the Kennel was October 17, but I could've read that wrong.

EDIT: TKR says it's October 17 at 7 pm. My mind hasn't failed me...yet.