Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: College Game Day

Default College Game Day

Digger Phelps mentioned on ESPN that the GU/Memphis game will be a College Game Day.

Props to GoZags for quick reporting of the news.
    Last edited by Angelo Roncalli; 07-07-2008 at 02:16 PM.
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Thats great news.....it should be a great atmosphere for that game. Hopefully the game itself and the atmosphere at the game will match the classic we got to see 2 years ago

Default Fan tastic

This should be a great day for the fans and especially the students at Gonzaga. It should be a recruiting tool as well.

Default !!!!

you forgot the !!!! at the end of the title!!!
    "...do something you may regret, than regret something you didn't do."

Quote Originally Posted by theothegreat21 View Post
    Thats great news.....it should be a great atmosphere for that game. Hopefully the game itself and the atmosphere at the game will match the classic we got to see 2 years ago
    That was the only time I have seen the Zags lose and not walked away devastated. I was unhappy, obviously, but the game was so incredible I couldn't be too down. I just hope this game can come close to matching that.

And, for what it's worth, I think this is the first time when we should be the overwhelming favorite to win. I know Memphis is getting high rankings, but I can't see them losing Rose, Dorsey, and CDR and not taking a pretty big step back.

This game is at the Arena, correct? Hopefully The Kennel Club will be given a lot of seats.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelo Roncalli View Post
    Digger Phelps mentioned on ESPN that the GU/Memphis game will be a College Game Day.

Props to GoZags for quick reporting of the news.
    I was robbed, I tell ya, I was robbed!
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Digger is at the Moyer Foundation golf outing at Suncadia today, and "Ian" had him on the radio. I was in the car and called the Pontiff with the news.

Digger went on to say they love visiting Spokane -- and that Monson and Heathcote hold court and that the ESPN gang hang on their every word.

Jud has a hilarious sense of humor. He probably has those ESPN guys rolling on the floor.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Great news.

It probably will not happen, but it would be fabulous if the students could be set up in a side-court floor section similar to that in the Kennel. It would lend that on-campus atmosphere to the game that I am sure ESPN Game Day would love to see. Also, that seating arrangement in the Memphis game would be the best recruiting tool for the Zags this side of a very deep run in the tournament!! Also, it would likely garner interest by ESPN for future Game Day matchups in Spokane (and, therefore, would help us pull big-time games in to Spokane).

So would this make 2 for 2 for College Game Day west of the Mississippi being hosted by Gonzaga?
    History has its eyes on you.

Sage of the GU Message Board

soooooo stoked to hear this... i agree with vabeachzag that they should give us students side court seats in the arena but chances are that wont happen. i do think it would give the game a better atmosphere that ESPN strives for with gameday, but either way thats gonna be a great weekend and good exposure for our zags! can the season be here yet!?

Not too crazy about this. Being in the kennel for gameday was amazing, but in the Arena for it? No offense to the Spokane Arena but isn't weird that it would be college gameday and not even held in the college's home court? I just picture people on the east coast confused thinking that's actually where we play our home games.

And, for what it's worth, I think this is the first time when we should be the overwhelming favorite to win. I know Memphis is getting high rankings, but I can't see them losing Rose, Dorsey, and CDR and not taking a pretty big step back.
    At this point, I don't think any team can be considered an "overwhelming favorite" over this upcoming Memphis squad. CDR and Dorsey will surely be missed. Yes they lose Rose -- 5th highest '08 recruit according to ESPN. They gain the '09 #3 and McDonald's All-American MVP in Tyreke Evans. Dozier and Anderson will be back, and '08 Top-50 recruit Jeff Robinson will now have room to showcase his skills. You may recall that Robinson was always on the heels of Daye in terms of SF rankings out of high school. They still have serious talent at PG in 4-Star Recruit Willie Kemp. He had 5 ppg last year at about 13 min/game. They are joined by prized '09 recruits 6'8" Wesley Witherspoon and 6'10" Angel Garcia.

Yes they are down from last year's 38-2 team, but they have reloaded as well as anyone. I think our experience (not to mention home court advantage) should tip the scales in our direction. Talent-wise its a toss up at best. In accordance with the pre-season consensus, this should be our most difficult contest.

Quote Originally Posted by Just A Zag View Post
    Not too crazy about this. Being in the kennel for gameday was amazing, but in the Arena for it? No offense to the Spokane Arena but isn't weird that it would be college gameday and not even held in the college's home court? I just picture people on the east coast confused thinking that's actually where we play our home games.

The atmosphere for the most recent Memphis game in the Arena far surpassed any atmosphere in the Kennel last year (with the exception of the SMC game).

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    The atmosphere for the most recent Memphis game in the Arena far surpassed any atmosphere in the Kennel last year (with the exception of the SMC game).

Agreed! We just have to MAKE SURE someone donates towels for that game... What a difference that makes in the big arena!

I was at the Memphis game in the Arena, and it rocked in there. It looked very impressive on tv, too. Best part, I have a chance to get tickets. I agree it does take away something not having it in the Kennel, however.

have to agree. the memphis game 2 years ago was one of the loudest games ive been to, and im a season tix holder. i will admit many games in the arena are dully lit and craving noise but if we are as loud this time against memphis as the last it will be and amazing GameDay.

WOW!! This'll be one showcasing the CIty and GU. Steamy river..snow......huge throng of fans. This will be one for the ages. Nothing like the MAC. SOme don't like the Arena and I have to agree....for many reasons. One thing's sure though. 2 years ago.........well...it just doesn't get any better. Disadvantaged and everyone knew it. Derek, etc did some amazing work to keep us in that one. Electric place that day..........really not matched by many college games I've ever seen.......anywhere.

Default Yep

Quote Originally Posted by gbnyba17 View Post
    soooooo stoked to hear this... i agree with vabeachzag that they should give us students side court seats in the arena but chances are that wont happen. i do think it would give the game a better atmosphere that ESPN strives for with gameday, but either way thats gonna be a great weekend and good exposure for our zags! can the season be here yet!?
    This would not be a problem if we just hosted the darn game at K2--our home court, which we all chipped in to build, so we could have big games like this there. --WHAP--Thank you sir, may I have another!!---WHAP!!!

I know I am a broken record. It is cool to have Gameday. But for me there is something a bit embarassing about having to host it at the gym downtown rather than in our brand spanking new arena on campus. And I don't apologize for that embarrassment one bit. We are not Memphis's little brother and they need us as much as we need them. What are we paying to rent the arena? What are we losing in terms of revenue for not having the game on campus? Can you imagine Duke hosting Gameday at greensboro coliseum? Or UConn having to host it in the Hartford Civic Center? Neither can I.

Hopefully this is the last such ignominy and we can get back to hosting Gameday on campus next time.

I am going to be REALLY upset if this game is not broadcast in HD. Don't even get me started......

aka the new "scheduling" Jazz of the board.

Quote Originally Posted by Once and Future Zag View Post
    So would this make 2 for 2 for College Game Day west of the Mississippi being hosted by Gonzaga?
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe UCLA hosted a college game day last year against Arizona. But 2 out of 3 ain't bad.
    GU Class of '07

Default This calls for Memphis Pictures taken by Larryzag!

Quote Originally Posted by 229SintoZag View Post
    This would not be a problem if we just hosted the darn game at K2--our home court, which we all chipped in to build, so we could have big games like this there. --WHAP--Thank you sir, may I have another!!---WHAP!!!

I know I am a broken record. It is cool to have Gameday. But for me there is something a bit embarassing about having to host it at the gym downtown rather than in our brand spanking new arena on campus. And I don't apologize for that embarrassment one bit. We are not Memphis's little brother and they need us as much as we need them. What are we paying to rent the arena? What are we losing in terms of revenue for not having the game on campus? Can you imagine Duke hosting Gameday at greensboro coliseum? Or UConn having to host it in the Hartford Civic Center? Neither can I.

Hopefully this is the last such ignominy and we can get back to hosting Gameday on campus next time.

I am going to be REALLY upset if this game is not broadcast in HD. Don't even get me started......

aka the new "scheduling" Jazz of the board.
    Amen. Though it can get loud and offers a chance for people to snag a ticket, why would we ever move a gameday game off campus? Part of the fun of the first gameday was being about to camp out and such. This just seems kind of awkward to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Just A Zag View Post
    Amen. Though it can get loud and offers a chance for people to snag a ticket, why would we ever move a gameday game off campus? Part of the fun of the first gameday was being about to camp out and such. This just seems kind of awkward to me.
    i was a sophomore for that game, and it was insane. camping out on mulligan, before the turf, sleeping in 35 degree weather, couldn't have gotten much better. i'll never forget it. Dookie V should be back too, give him an earful!